Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
What are the correct dimensions?
Ditto. This is important for me because I need to keep my R1S in my garage. Depending on the dimensions change this might literally have to be a dealbreaker for me.
Sponsored

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

OK, just so long as it's not getting longer or wider. :)

X2 on that lol I was sweating in case I ever needed it to cohabit in my garage

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

What are the correct dimensions?
They actually corrcted length recently from 202 to 200.8
Originally published spec was 198.4".
Then they lengthened it to 200.7".
Later, they further extended it to 202"

So unless they went back to 200.7" the current should be 202"

Sponsored

Rivuylkill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Any chance you can give us an update on the Model Y after you drive it for a bit? I’m curious about drive, comfort, quality, and utilitarian use of it, especially as compared to the R1S. I’ve considered the Model Y for a while now, but I haven’t really cared for the looks of the vehicle (personal preference).
Somewhat off topic but since you asked, not me, but I picked up a my Y yesterday. My fiancé has a Model 3 so I was already somewhat familiar, but I already love the Y even more. I picked LR with Gemini so I can't attest to anything related to a Performance, or bigger wheel upgrades (thus less rubber). For me though, I have no idea what people are talking about when they say the ride quality is rough/harsh/bumpy/whatever other anecdotes there are. I know everyone has different levels of sensitivity, plus different car histories, but I went out of my way to hit some various types of road bumps and it definitely wasn't worse than anything else I've ever driven and was way better than expected based off all the people saying how harsh it is. It handles great while driving and bumps were a non issue.

Delivery was easy and car looked great, nothing I had to ask about or to get fixed.

Lots of people love the 0-60 and go performance or LR plus acceleration boost, but for me the LR is plenty quick if I need it to be, and pickup at speed is awesome. Was cruising at 65 and some dump truck was driving next to me, wanted to pass so hit the gas down and was at 85 in no time.

Looks are of course subjective; I think they look good plus know the areo reason for the shape, and can at least appreciate that it helps range/efficiency/etc. I have 2 kids & a dog and I think it's plenty of space(5 seater). I did add the hitch and if I decide to live with it as an only car, might think about the rack and a box for really long trips, but I'm pretty sure we could fit everything in there we need to already without it, which is why I didn't order the racks off the bat.

I already feel bad about thinking about giving it up if/when my R1S is ready, but I think long term I'd prefer not to carry 2 vehicles. The Y's towing capacity is just a little under where I need it. I understand if you order today though, estimates are already into or maybe past April.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

It is NOW 200.8
When was this change made/communicated?

All the more reason more information needs to be released on the R1S. At this point I don't trust much from the website or CS because they still use most of the old photos and videos and we are left speculating.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

When was this change made/communicated?

All the more reason more information needs to be released on the R1S. At this point I don't trust much from the website or CS because they still use most of the old photos and videos and we are left speculating.

It wasnt communicated but spotted it during website change tracking I do.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Good catch even though I don't want to believe it ?

My communication was with CS sometime Aug/Sep but I am highly skeptical of anything at this point.

Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Maybe my eyes are going out on me, but I could have sworn I saw "I can't find anything better to do" ?
You are most certainly 1000% correct LOL.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Wouldn't be the first error on the website so not sure I trust this dimension without confirmation.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Considering the head unit is the same and the cameras will be there, I would be willing to bet there is no way that some sort of Sentry mode won't be available on the R1S.

It would make no sense from a software and upkeep standpoint to develop and maintain two systems, so my money is on it being identical as the R1T minus any bits pertaining to the gear tunnel.
I agree that the camera recording will almost certianly be included with the R1S... But I don't think it's for the reason you state. Modern software is modular. Rivian should be able to include or not include modules, based on the equipment level of the vehicle. They can also substitute multiple implementations for the same interface, depending on the vehicle equipment. For example, they might have a drivetrain motor control module, and quad-motor vehicles get one implementation while dual-motor vehicles (Amazon vans? Future vehicle option?) get another module.

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah, I don’t think I’ve even seen any other products announced which meet the three basic requirements we have:
1. EV with SUV shape (squarish back to provide useful cargo space)
2. Truly off-road capable (at least as much as our LR3)
3. 7 seats (hopefully big enough for adults to use comfortably but I’ll settle for just good enough for 6 while driving ~15 minutes to dinner)
Also I would add being able to comfortably/legally tow 5-6000 pounds to that list.
Sponsored