Sponsored

Expected R1S information

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
I am a non-LE R1S pre-order holder and have given up hope I will get the R1S in 2022., despite their website still saying January 2022.

With the R1T trickling in, a slow ramp up, Rivian going radio silent due to the IPO, I am not expecting Rivian to release any realistic information about the R1S until Q1 2022.

I have already started shopping for other brands and there are plenty of compelling options. If Rivian does start R1S deliveries in January and I get a firm delivery date, Rivian will get my money, if not it will be some one else.
Sponsored

electrictaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Yup, Rivian needs that second factory up and running already.
Nope, they just need their current factory running at full capacity.

Rivuylkill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Let us know what you learn, please. I sold my car prematurely this year for the R1S Aug launch, then the delay happened, and we're still mostly in the dark. I've been borrowing an older car from family that is not the safest for freeway travel at speed.

In July, I put a Model Y order in as a place holder in case R1's were further delayed past December 2021. I received my VIN for the Model Y this morning, so I need to make a decision.

I want the Rivian, but desperately need a car for business, now. In looking at Model Y resale, it looks like with the overall inventory shortage in the market, and new Model Y orders delivering in April 2022, I'd be at a breakeven or positive if the Rivian still delivered to me by years end, or Q1 of 2022.

Day one LE reservation holder in Los Angeles, but doesn't seem like those factors alone get you the car or invites to events any sooner.

Decisions...
For what it's worth my situation is a little different but have been having roughly the same debate for a while. Don't know if it's the best/right/whatever decision but I pick up the Model Y today, and will wait and see how the R1S turns out. I can be happy with the Model Y and my old truck for towing until the R1S is ready, or keep both if there's a big delay / reason to wait after we get more info, etc. Though I'm also debating selling my old truck now while the market is there and cross the bridge of not having a good tow vehicle in the summer when I get there.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

I have already started shopping for other brands and there are plenty of compelling options.
Unfortunately there are not for those that need 7 usable seats, otherwise I would have moved on awhile ago even though I love the R1S.

As far as guide contacts and deliveries for the R1S, I don't think there should be any of those until there is a timeline for a Max pack. Even if it is 2025, people making a decision in the next few months need to have an idea.

Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Unfortunately there are not for those that need 7 usable seats, otherwise I would have moved on awhile ago even though I love the R1S.
Yeah, I donā€™t think Iā€™ve even seen any other products announced which meet the three basic requirements we have:
1. EV with SUV shape (squarish back to provide useful cargo space)
2. Truly off-road capable (at least as much as our LR3)
3. 7 seats (hopefully big enough for adults to use comfortably but Iā€™ll settle for just good enough for 6 while driving ~15 minutes to dinner)

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah, I donā€™t think Iā€™ve even seen any other products announced which meet the three basic requirements we have:
1. EV with SUV shape (squarish back to provide useful cargo space)
2. Truly off-road capable (at least as much as our LR3)
3. 7 seats (hopefully big enough for adults to use comfortably but Iā€™ll settle for just good enough for 6 while driving ~15 minutes to dinner)
This here.

I have 3 kids still in child seats, and although I can (and probably will) sit them 3 across, I'd rather have the option to put one or more of them in another row. I'm gonna call the 3rd row the "last warning row before you're ejected out the back". Plus, I'm still gonna need gobs of space for strollers, toys, knick-knacks, patty whacks, and dogs with their bones.

Seriously, the only thing that could even fit my needs remotely at this point is if someone dropped an all electric minivan on the market over night (please). And even that, I'd be sacrificing the off-road functionality of the R1S.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

Yeah, I donā€™t think Iā€™ve even seen any other products announced which meet the three basic requirements we have
I think the lack of products even announced that fit the criteria to easily hold 7 is surprising to me.

The R1S is going to be borderline already for our family of 7. The only reason it can work (assuming the 2nd row handles car seats well and access to the 3rd row) is we travel very light.

Like really, what else is there?
I've got reservation for the Canoo Van, but that would be as a replacement for my Leaf, not the families main vehicle and time will tell if it ever becomes a reality.

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
Yeah the 7 passenger EV Space is non-existent right now, with exception of the R1S. Fortunately the 7 Passenger option is a bonus and not a deal breaker for me.

But this is poised to change, with Volvo planning on an XC90 based EV, Genesis will likely announce a GV80 based EV (GV90?), Ford will most definitely plan/release a 7 passenger based on the lightning platform (Explorer EV?), Audi has a barrage of Q based e-Tron bespoke EVs planned for next year, BMW iX platform already has a midsize and will most definitely announce a 7 passenger sometime later next year.

So there will be more options next year to think about, if the R1S deliveries have not started already.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
I think the lack of products even announced that fit the criteria to easily hold 7 is surprising to me.

The R1S is going to be borderline already for our family of 7. The only reason it can work (assuming the 2nd row handles car seats well and access to the 3rd row) is we travel very light.

Like really, what else is there?
I've got reservation for the Canoo Van, but that would be as a replacement for my Leaf, not the families main vehicle and time will tell if it ever becomes a reality.
The Hummer SUV should tick all those boxes, but then you're a Hummer bro and spending over 100k.

Polestar 3, XC90 EV, Lucid Gravity, etc. get close, but won't be off road targeted and will have more aerodynamic shapes that are less boxy. However, for a lot of people they will be direct competition to the R1S. I, for one, don't mind the off-road capability, but don't plan to utilize it much/at all in the R1S. From an SUV, I want the space, performance, comfortable ride and high tech.

I actually think the R1T has the clearest road ahead with little competition, but that's subjective. I personally can't think of a single EV Truck that will compete for the same market as Rivian. Rivian is on record saying that about 80% of R1T preorders are from first time truck buyers. All the legacy makers coming out with EV versions are mostly just going to convert the diehard Ford, Chevy, etc. gas truck buyer to electric over time by giving them a similar/better experience with lower operating costs. Towing range and possibly EV/political stigma are really the only hurdles they need to clear. Those buyers are some of the most brand loyal customers there are.

The R1T is playing in the space of people like me, that never had an interest in a truck before, because they were either too big (full size trucks), too small (Tacoma, etc.), on road driving was abysmal (all of them), gas mileage was bad, they have historically been the lowest tech vehicles available (from an in-cabin infotainment/connectivity/ADAS standpoint). All they need to ramp up to serious volume is to make a similar model approaching $50,000, which hopefully they can do with further decreases in battery cost, dual motor vs. four wheel, and by forgoing some of the luxuries in the current models. It will be interesting to see how something like the Hyundai Santa Cruz sells, as I think that is probably the closest competition to the R1T, though that's still a very large stretch (price, performance, luxury).

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Polestar 3, XC90 EV, Lucid Gravity, etc. get close, but won't be off road targeted and will have more aerodynamic shapes that are less boxy.
According to Polestar CEO Thomas Ingenlath, the Polestar 3 will be a 2-row crossover to help differentiate it from the XC90. So definitely not a contender as a 7-seater.

Matt D.

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Odyssey
This here.

I have 3 kids still in child seats, and although I can (and probably will) sit them 3 across, I'd rather have the option to put one or more of them in another row. I'm gonna call the 3rd row the "last warning row before you're ejected out the back". Plus, I'm still gonna need gobs of space for strollers, toys, knick-knacks, patty whacks, and dogs with their bones.

Seriously, the only thing that could even fit my needs remotely at this point is if someone dropped an all electric minivan on the market over night (please). And even that, I'd be sacrificing the off-road functionality of the R1S.
Weā€™ll thereā€™s this:
https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/ve...v/the-new-eqv-the-first-electric-premium-van/

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
According to Polestar CEO Thomas Ingenlath, the Polestar 3 will be a 2-row crossover to help differentiate it from the XC90. So definitely not a contender as a 7-seater.
That's right, my error. But I seriously go down this list and it gets quite compelling for the R1S (all with no tax credit):

Tahoe Z71/High Country: $70-$80k
Yukon AT4/Denali: $75-$85k
Escalade: $100k-$120k
XC90 Inscription with options: $76k
X7 M50i: $109k
Q7: $80k+
SQ7: $105k

and on and on....
Sponsored