Sponsored

Expected R1S information

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

The Hummer SUV should tick all those boxes, but then you're a Hummer bro and spending over 100k.

Polestar 3, XC90 EV, Lucid Gravity, etc. get close, but won't be off road targeted and will have more aerodynamic shapes that are less boxy.
I don't disagree that the R1S is very compelling once you start looking at its competition!

As far as other options:
Someone already said this but Hummer is only 2 row :(
Polestar 3 is only 2 row I believe.
Don't know exact dimensions on the XC90 EV but if it is the same as the XC90 Hybrid then it is 7" shorter and a few inches narrower than the R1S. I would not consider the XC90 ideal for car seats or adults, but it is manageable.
Lucid Gravity, need much more information but my head says it will be similar size to the XC90.
For me the off road is not important but it is nice to have the clearance and everything for the winter.

Not trying to shoot everything down, but it seems everyone is going for crossover 3 row vehicles instead of a full size suv 3 row or a minivan.
I'm thinking Sienna, Tahoe, Expedition, QX80, Navigator, etc. when I think about the criteria to easily hold 7.

That's what I'm talking about, now if only there was US availability if/when it is released :(

Ford will most definitely plan/release a 7 passenger based on the lightning platform (Explorer EV?), Audi has a barrage of Q based e-Tron bespoke EVs planned for next year, BMW iX platform already has a midsize and will most definitely announce a 7 passenger sometime later next year.

So there will be more options next year to think about, if the R1S deliveries have not started already.
I do think that next year there will be options to "think" about, but I will be surprised if anything as large or larger than the R1S will come out until 2024 in the US.
Sponsored

wizard467

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (10/2022), Honda Ridgeline
The R1T is playing in the space of people like me, that never had an interest in a truck before, because they were either too big (full size trucks), too small (Tacoma, etc.), on road driving was abysmal (all of them), gas mileage was bad, they have historically been the lowest tech vehicles available (from an in-cabin infotainment/connectivity/ADAS standpoint). All they need to ramp up to serious volume is to make a similar model approaching $50,000, which hopefully they can do with further decreases in battery cost, dual motor vs. four wheel, and by forgoing some of the luxuries in the current models. It will be interesting to see how something like the Hyundai Santa Cruz sells, as I think that is probably the closest competition to the R1T, though that's still a very large stretch (price, performance, luxury).
The R1T is very similar size and functionality to a Honda Ridgeline (my current vehicle). For example Honda Ridgeline has the bed-trunk (similar to the frunk in the R1T). Even though the Ridgeline is considered a mid-size truck it has a bed width that is wide enough for a 4x8 sheet of plywood laid flat and overall length is 7 inches shorter than an R1T. The Ridgeline ride is generally better than most trucks because it is based on a stiffened Pilot. The Ridgeline definitely doesn't have the off-road capability of a mid-size like a Tacoma TRD or the R1T, but it is definitely cheaper than an R1T!

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
The R1T is very similar size and functionality to a Honda Ridgeline (my current vehicle). For example Honda Ridgeline has the bed-trunk (similar to the frunk in the R1T). Even though the Ridgeline is considered a mid-size truck it has a bed width that is wide enough for a 4x8 sheet of plywood laid flat and overall length is 7 inches shorter than an R1T. The Ridgeline ride is generally better than most trucks because it is based on a stiffened Pilot. The Ridgeline definitely doesn't have the off-road capability of a mid-size like a Tacoma TRD or the R1T, but it is definitely cheaper than an R1T!
Yes, Ridgeline is the other most direct comp of a more car like truck. Basically, trucks that are used for trucks 10-20% of the time rather than the other way around. I think there are a LOT of people that only need a truck a small fraction of the time, and end up sacrificing a lot to lug around in something built to be a truck 90% of the time.

Reactions: Max

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
I do think that next year there will be options to "think" about, but I will be surprised if anything as large or larger than the R1S will come out until 2024 in the US.
I personally think you might be over estimating the R1S size/capacity as a 7 Passenger. Based on this video, I would think this is inline with the Ford Explorer, if not smaller.

This is taken from the following thread,
3rd Row Design / Cargo Area Photos? | Rivian Forums - #1 Community for Rivian, R1T, R1S, R2R

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

Sponsored

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
The R1S is almost exactly the same size as the 07-14 Tahoe, so I'm expecting similar space inside, whether rightly or wrongly.

Seattleite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Slacker
The only (pretend) cross-shopping I'm doing is between the R1S and the VW Buzz, which won't be on our shores until 2023....

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
The R1S is almost exactly the same size as the 07-14 Tahoe, so I'm expecting similar space inside, whether rightly or wrongly.
Interesting, I used to have an 09 Tahoe, never thought the R1S was as big as it based on the pictures. Compared the specs to several vehicles but not this one.

Will be interesting to how it actually compares in real life. Especially with the 3rd row seats, the Tahoe you had to remove them as they did not fold flat with deck. I did like the 2nd row buckets that allowed for easy access for the third row.

Last edited:

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

I personally think you might be over estimating the R1S size/capacity as a 7 Passenger. Based on this video, I would think this is inline with the Ford Explorer, if not smaller.
I wouldn't say over estimating as much as trying to remain optimistic based on it's overall dimensions in comparison to some other ICE vehicles.
There are also some benefits more easily achieved going electric that CAN create additional space where others cannot. Ex. Earlier Tahoe's that did not have IRS which drastically reduced the floor space in the 3rd row.
Whether this advantage is realized or filled with battery cells, or not taken advantage of I cannot say.

I have serious concerns over whether it will fulfill what I need as a 7 person family hauler, but I am waiting to make that judgment until sitting in and installing some car seats.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I don't disagree that the R1S is very compelling once you start looking at its competition!

As far as other options:
Someone already said this but Hummer is only 2 row :(
Polestar 3 is only 2 row I believe.
Don't know exact dimensions on the XC90 EV but if it is the same as the XC90 Hybrid then it is 7" shorter and a few inches narrower than the R1S. I would not consider the XC90 ideal for car seats or adults, but it is manageable.
Lucid Gravity, need much more information but my head says it will be similar size to the XC90.
For me the off road is not important but it is nice to have the clearance and everything for the winter.

Not trying to shoot everything down, but it seems everyone is going for crossover 3 row vehicles instead of a full size suv 3 row or a minivan.
I'm thinking Sienna, Tahoe, Expedition, QX80, Navigator, etc. when I think about the criteria to easily hold 7.

That's what I'm talking about, now if only there was US availability if/when it is released :(

From what I've read there will be 2 options from VW (at least) that will likely hit roads in '23: the Buzz (awful name but cool concept) and the ID.8 which will be similar to the Atlas. I'd expect price points for both to be in the $50k range.

Sponsored

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
From what I've read there will be 2 options from VW (at least) that will likely hit roads in '23: the Buzz (awful name but cool concept) and the ID.8 which will be similar to the Atlas. I'd expect price points for both to be in the $50k range.
That Buzz is cool as hell.

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

That Buzz is cool as hell.
Yeah it's absolutely on the list for me with the R1S. I love the idea of the rotating captains chairs and sliding center console. Power and range numbers will be important.

I could see myself shifting from R1S to ID.Buzz and an R1T down the road or maybe an R2T to get the best of both worlds because I do think the Buzz will be a better "people mover" than the R1S.

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah it's absolutely on the list for me with the R1S. I love the idea of the rotating captains chairs and sliding center console. Power and range numbers will be important.

I could see myself shifting from R1S to ID.Buzz and an R1T down the road or maybe an R2T to get the best of both worlds because I do think the Buzz will be a better "people mover" than the R1S.
I might still end up with a Buzz, when they eventually roll out, depending on how cool the actual production version is (compared to the flashy but not likely to remain features on the concept). They are talking about a "family seating" variant, where four seats in back face towards each other, so you can have everyone gathered around a table.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I might still end up with a Buzz, when they eventually roll out, depending on how cool the actual production version is (compared to the flashy but not likely to remain features on the concept). They are talking about a "family seating" variant, where four seats in back face towards each other, so you can have everyone gathered around a table.
Yeah and the power and range numbers I've seen were pretty good (but not production numbers obviously). If it ends up with 300+ miles of range with decent performance figures and the ability to tow a small trailer at $50k that's pretty hard to pass up. I'm definitely prepared to throw down a deposit on a preorder whenever the time comes unless it's non-refundable and more than $100.
Sponsored