Sponsored

Excessive motor whine around 30-40 Mph

summer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3
I drove a loaner R1T for two weeks while my truck was in service center, I can tell the loaner truck definitely have a louder motor noise at low speed comparing with my truck, it seems this could happen on any truck. Maybe check with SC to see if it’s “within spec”?
Sponsored

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

I just turned in a loaner after driving over 1,000 miles on it. First thing I noticed when I got my vehicle back was how much louder my R1T is. Like extremely loud motor whine compared to the loaner.

jdubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Tesla Model S
I have two levels of noise, the spaceship type noise which is fine but above 60mph, it sounds like a motorbike revving up and down as I accelerate/take my foot off.

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
Yep, it is annoying on longer trips. On short trips, city or at lower speeds, it does not bother me. I am considering buying Bose noise cancelling buds for long trips.

I could not hear the whine in conserve mode though. Used it on a recent trip. I will probably take the hit on performance and tire wear to avoid the whine. It's kind of lame they got this basic thing wrong, but it is what it is.

cmcintyre

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T #9xxx, ‘86 Porsche 911, Factory Five 818C
Occupation
Corporate Pilot
Brought the truck in for a windshield crack and a red “Check Suspension Soon”. This 1000 miles after the suspension torque recall was done. No whine. They hunted for the message source and couldn’t find it, but “checked everything”. The 30-40 gear whine/groan appeared immediately after. So, something changed and I’m going in Dec 28 for it. I agree it sounds like a differential whine on an ICE vehicle.

Sponsored

Tony R1S

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S QM 21
Does anyone happen to have an audio recording of this noise? I think I'm experiencing this same noise that sounds like a motor bike (bunch of angry bees, or small prop plane nearby) following right behind me all the time and very irritating due to the pitch/freq of the noise.

Last edited:

Ngkgb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I have this same thing. At first I thought someone was reviving their engine next to me, but it follows everywhere. Pretty used to it by now and it’s drowned out by music. Still gotta deal with all the other rattles too.

Tony R1S

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I wonder if every car has this issue, or is it just us unlucky few? Man, this is really really bumming me out.. overall am so happy with the car, and willing to overlook and accept early defects and issues (wind noise at fwy speeds), but this one is just borderline unbearable for longer trips. I have to turn up the music quite loud to mask the noise, but I can't do that with passengers onboard.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I wish Rivian would add active noise cancelation in a future update.

Tony R1S

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Okay, so I've started to pay more attention to the noise to characterize it at lower speeds (~25-40mph).. It's seems more prominent when I'm off the accelerator, just slightly past coast mode into regen.
Another note, is I think it also happen now at very slow speed (~5mph) but it becomes a subtle tapping sound, like "tock-tock-tock-tock...", like an unbalanced wheel.

Also, it seems to be getting worse (easier to hear), but I can't really tell if it's just my ear's very biased now. Will share more later.. I'll try to record the audio clip of it if I can.

Sponsored

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes it is annoying to me. On long drives, I use conserve mode to kill it. Don't hear any drone in the conserve mode.

Tony R1S

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes it is annoying to me. On long drives, I use conserve mode to kill it. Don't hear any drone in the conserve mode.
It didn't seem to make a difference for me in conserve mode. Can you tell me what your other settings are (ride height, regen mode, stability)?

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It didn't seem to make a difference for me in conserve mode. Can you tell me what your other settings are (ride height, regen mode, stability)?
At low speed in conserve, I can hear the whine. At high speeds, nothing at all. High speed = 50 or over. It used to bother me on long freeway drives. I use standard height even in conserve mode. Bumper height affects crash safety.

Could be the difference in vehicle/hearing. Different sounds bother different people.
Sponsored