Excessive motor whine around 30-40 Mph

R1Thrilled

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T El Cap, 20" AT
Just posting to see if i'm alone in this experience or if maybe there is just something different about my truck. When holding at a steady speed between 30-40 I get sort of a "drone" of motor whine/whirring. I know the motors are louder than most other EVs but I really don't mind it unless i'm just holding a steady speed. In the 50-70 range it is dampened by wind noise, but lower speeds it is fairly loud in the cabin.

Anyone else experience this?
Sponsored

ksujeff99

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Financial Services
Just posting to see if i'm alone in this experience or if maybe there is just something different about my truck. When holding at a steady speed between 30-40 I get sort of a "drone" of motor whine/whirring. I know the motors are louder than most other EVs but I really don't mind it unless i'm just holding a steady speed. In the 50-70 range it is dampened by wind noise, but lower speeds it is fairly loud in the cabin.

Yes. I have had my truck less than a week, so I presume I'll get used to it but I too have found the motor whine to be annoying around that speed.

OP
OP

R1Thrilled

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T El Cap, 20" AT
Yes. I have had my truck less than a week, so I presume I'll get used to it but I too have found the motor whine to be annoying around that speed.
As long as it isn't just me. Was worried I had a bad drive unit or something. Thanks!

Deleted member 6990

I agree with the annoying motor noise. Service said this is normal. Tesla MX does not even come close to this noise, but I can get used to it as long as radio is on.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

+1

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I suspect this is the result of the body being hard mounted to the skateboard and minimal, if any, isolation at the motor mounts (which I have yet to see).

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

This is about the speed where the electric motor in my Livewire is the loudest too.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I agree with the annoying motor noise. Service said this is normal. Tesla MX does not even come close to this noise, but I can get used to it as long as radio is on.
My old X had 2 induction motors. They did not make this noise. My new X has one PM motor and one IM. It does. The Rivian has 4 PM motors. No surprise that we are going to hear them.

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

Our R1T “whine” is slightly louder than our EV6. Similarly for both vehicles the whine is loudest around 40 mph. A small annoyance compared to all the other noises emitted by ICE that we were conditioned to not hear over the years.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Could just be a slight frequency resonance issue.

If you change your speed units to Kilometres, should go away, cause you'll never drive 30-40kph, too slow.
;)

Sponsored

Insureit1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I have it as well. Wife finds it very annoying. I have had three Tesla's and have a Hyundai Ioniq5 and those were/are virtually silent. Hopefully I will get used to it. On a plus the stereo is awesome!

Mark’s RT-1

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y and Model Y Perf. And some other EVs
Occupation
Bus. Owner.
Clubs

Mine is noisy. I have owned M3, Model Y, X ludicrous and some Chevy and Nissan cars.

Rivian is super noisy compared to the rest. But I’ll get used to it.

MNLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes I have Vehicles

Post up a video. I have some noise but nothing I’d consider “Excessive “

R1Tims

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E GTPE,
Occupation
Consultant
There is difference between the PM motor noise and the drive unit noise. I can hear the motor noise as I accelerate. But when holding a constant speed approx 40 and at 70 I get a higher constant whine noise. Service is trying tell me it's "tire cupping".... BS! this would change when driving over asphalt and concrete at speed. This does not happen. The noise I am hearing is similar to the whine I heard back in my Chrysler days on some of the Jeeps we had figure out where and why whine noise what happening at constant speed. It was the gearing in the differentials. For me it's the same noise and possibly the same type of issue with gears / bearings in the drive units.
Sponsored