OP
OP
Prime

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
@Prime , thank you for this. I'm going to try it even though I think most of my noise is at the top of the windows. I definitely also have noise at the triangle windows.
Did you pry open that trim to install the weatherstrip, or just slide it into the existing gap?
Did not try to pry open, but tried very hard to push it in. It was already set. So I just placed that strip in the gap. Could probably do a cleaner job cutting it but itā€™s not very noticeable and hasnā€™t flown out at highway speeds. Need to try washing and see if it stays in there.
Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Hope this helps. Driver side sticks out more than passenger side. Not sure if this helped with passenger side noise as I havenā€™t sat there recently and my wife doesnā€™t really complain about it.

IMG_1561.jpeg

IMG_1560.jpeg
Thank you! I'm doing this in the morning and testing on the commute. I jammed every little nook and cranny with all sorts of gaskets and tape, isolated it to this area but couldn't figure out how to solve it.

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Escalade ESV, '55 Fairlane
Occupation
Regional Mgr
Clubs

Thank you! I'm doing this in the morning and testing on the commute. I jammed every little nook and cranny with all sorts of gaskets and tape, isolated it to this area but couldn't figure out how to solve it.
Eagerly awaiting results to get a consensus before I try this.

Cgreenlaw78

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3
Occupation
VP client services
This is great Iā€™ll give it a shot. I typically will take a soft cloth or polishing towel and I roll my window down then as I roll it up I gently ā€œpushā€ it in as it rolls up so it actually goes in the rubber sealing snugly .

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1T QM, '23 R1S QM, '23 MY DM, '24 Cyberbeast
Occupation
Electric bum
Wind noise above 60mph is killing my joy in both my R1T and R1S. I'll try this out tonight, hope it will work for me:fingerscrossed: because SCs haven't been able to fix the wind issues on both. Thanks for the tip :like:

Sponsored

Chiqaine

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2018 Audi S6, 2014 Triumph Bonneville SE
Hi guys,

Coincidentally I had the same annoying issue with my R1S with noticeable driver's side wind noise above 70mph that drove me crazy! I had a service appt at El Segundo two weeks ago for other issues (namely replacing the roof glass that I cracked with my elbow :rolleyes:), but while I was there, I mentioned this issue too.

My service advisor got a knowledgeable Tech to do a drive with me to see if he could hear anything out of the ordinary, and he noticed it right away at like 50mph, before we even got on a freeway. They added it to the ticket and ended up replacing the corner glass as well as the rubber gasket (I believe) and it's made a world of difference! The car feels like a vault at freeway speeds now, as it should! I have to get the window retinted now, but it's a small price to pay for a permanent fix! Picture below is after replacement (I did not get a "before" shot).
Rivian R1T R1S Resolved (my) excessive wind noise 2023 R1T (cause: corner window plastic trim) thumbnail_IMG_7203

iBang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Rivian R1T Adventure
I have tried to have the SC resolve my wind noise since day 1 of getting my truck 1 year ago. Itā€™s taken away from enjoying the vehicle as it was turbulent and excessive at anything over 55 mph. Nothing worked to resolve it and SC didnā€™t do anything to help either (all within spec). I watched a few YouTube videos and posts about using rubber weather stripping tubing around the top of the vehicle. Rubber inserts along the roof rails, I taped up all the corner windows to see if it was them causing the noise.. nothing worked.

Recently I noticed the edge of the corner window plastic trim piece a few mm outboard of the left and right driver side doors (pic attached). I placed a small piece of leftover cylindrical weatherstrip into that lower plastic edge and BAM.. my wind noise is 90% gone. I thought it was a fluke. But have driven about 100 miles highway and with crosswinds near the coast and itā€™s much improved.

Up to this point the wind noise was so bad (and Iā€™ve had a number of other issues with my truck come up) I was ready to get rid of the Rivian, not sure now as the ride is much more enjoyable when itā€™s quiet on the highway.

Pretty sure this is a build/ door alignment issue which is why some trucks are dead silent and others are super noisy. Hope it helps others, though Iā€™ve realized not all solutions work for everyone.

Link from Amazon for weatherstrip 6mm

https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Weather-Stripping-Tubing-Closed/dp/B0B813RSPK/ref=pd_aw_ci_mcx_mh_mcx_views_0?pd_rd_w=bRf9b&content-id=amzn1.sym.0e5c7f8b-153f-45ea-a1fd-9585fc3a0cd5:amzn1.symc.2b06b7e8-a86c-4e6e-b02c-90d58278f4f1&pf_rd_p=0e5c7f8b-153f-45ea-a1fd-9585fc3a0cd5&pf_rd_r=ME2MH065D0015EQEMYJV&pd_rd_wg=bGTWU&pd_rd_r=aeee0098-e6f2-4213-ae60-0b2ef7c770b8&pd_rd_i=B0B813RSPK

IMG_1557.jpeg

IMG_1558.jpeg
Thank you so much for the info. I also have noise issue and will check the same area to see if it makes any difference. Cheers!

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Eagerly awaiting results to get a consensus before I try this.
I forgot to try this before leaving! I even turned around to grab my coffee I left on my work bench, right above the seal! Ugh.

OP
OP
Prime

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Hi guys,

Coincidentally I had the same annoying issue with my R1S with noticeable driver's side wind noise above 70mph that drove me crazy! I had a service appt at El Segundo two weeks ago for other issues (namely replacing the roof glass that I cracked with my elbow :rolleyes:), but while I was there, I mentioned this issue too.

My service advisor got a knowledgeable Tech to do a drive with me to see if he could hear anything out of the ordinary, and he noticed it right away at like 50mph, before we even got on a freeway. They added it to the ticket and ended up replacing the corner glass as well as the rubber gasket (I believe) and it's made a world of difference! The car feels like a vault at freeway speeds now, as it should! I have to get the window retinted now, but it's a small price to pay for a permanent fix! Picture below is after replacement (I did not get a "before" shot).
thumbnail_IMG_7203.jpg
Iā€™ve asked Costa Mesa to do this 3x times. Each time they said ok and upon pickup didnā€™t do it because lead said within spec.

Rivian customer service (politeness friendliness) is great, actual service service (getting issues resolved) is among the worst Iā€™ve had.

mitchelmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Kia Telluride
I think there is a lot more to unpack about the wind noise issues at the corner. Take a look at my driver side versus the passenger side when I first got the truck. Drivers side corner trim is all nice and tucked in behind the A pillar. The passenger side has the trim slightly off the door and sticking out beyond the A pillar. On top of that, the A pillar is seated farther in exposing all the other issues already mentioned.
Rivian R1T R1S Resolved (my) excessive wind noise 2023 R1T (cause: corner window plastic trim) IMG_6001
Rivian R1T R1S Resolved (my) excessive wind noise 2023 R1T (cause: corner window plastic trim) IMG_5999

Sponsored

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

I have our r1s going in for the driver's side Monday, hoping they can resolve it. I kept putting off this appointment because we don't want to live without the Rivian for long, but it is annoying on the highway

Will report back anything they tell me

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

I have tried to have the SC resolve my wind noise since day 1 of getting my truck 1 year ago. Itā€™s taken away from enjoying the vehicle as it was turbulent and excessive at anything over 55 mph. Nothing worked to resolve it and SC didnā€™t do anything to help either (all within spec). I watched a few YouTube videos and posts about using rubber weather stripping tubing around the top of the vehicle. Rubber inserts along the roof rails, I taped up all the corner windows to see if it was them causing the noise.. nothing worked.

Recently I noticed the edge of the corner window plastic trim piece a few mm outboard of the left and right driver side doors (pic attached). I placed a small piece of leftover cylindrical weatherstrip into that lower plastic edge and BAM.. my wind noise is 90% gone. I thought it was a fluke. But have driven about 100 miles highway and with crosswinds near the coast and itā€™s much improved.

Up to this point the wind noise was so bad (and Iā€™ve had a number of other issues with my truck come up) I was ready to get rid of the Rivian, not sure now as the ride is much more enjoyable when itā€™s quiet on the highway.

Pretty sure this is a build/ door alignment issue which is why some trucks are dead silent and others are super noisy. Hope it helps others, though Iā€™ve realized not all solutions work for everyone.

Link from Amazon for weatherstrip 6mm

https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Weather-Stripping-Tubing-Closed/dp/B0B813RSPK/ref=pd_aw_ci_mcx_mh_mcx_views_0?pd_rd_w=bRf9b&content-id=amzn1.sym.0e5c7f8b-153f-45ea-a1fd-9585fc3a0cd5:amzn1.symc.2b06b7e8-a86c-4e6e-b02c-90d58278f4f1&pf_rd_p=0e5c7f8b-153f-45ea-a1fd-9585fc3a0cd5&pf_rd_r=ME2MH065D0015EQEMYJV&pd_rd_wg=bGTWU&pd_rd_r=aeee0098-e6f2-4213-ae60-0b2ef7c770b8&pd_rd_i=B0B813RSPK

IMG_1557.jpeg

IMG_1558.jpeg
Quick question.

Was/is your wind noise whistling or buffeting sound?

Thanks in advance!

SDH

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
Success! Cuts out 95%+ of the wind noise. Not totally silent, but then no car is. Made a HUGE difference.

Interesting ... I only really noticed the noise on the driver side. When i went to stuff the rubber sealing on the passenger side, it would not fit (unlike the drivers side). That would chime with the lack of wind noise there. Wonder if it a manufacturing thing?? I also ran the pipping up both windows (see pics)

Anyway, huge thanks to you @Prime for solving this.

Rivian R1T R1S Resolved (my) excessive wind noise 2023 R1T (cause: corner window plastic trim) IMG_6658
Rivian R1T R1S Resolved (my) excessive wind noise 2023 R1T (cause: corner window plastic trim) IMG_6660

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I'm going to give this a go as well.

I think I'm going to go full in here - measuring it with a dB meter on the same loop back-to-back. If all works out well, I'll add it to the store, cut to size for like 50 cents or something. I don't think that any of us need 25ft. šŸ¤£

bonedocrob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I had a similar with passenger side wind noice. I used 2 inch painterā€™s tape to prove it was coming from triangular window. Mobile service technician replaced it in my garage in an hour. Solved problem.
Sponsored