First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, BMW M3&X5, Audi Allroad, Audi, Tesla 3
Occupation
Computer Consultant
I have a performance dual motor R1T with Max pack. There is significant motor/differential whine from 0 to ~60 MPH. Peaks at approx. 35 MPH. Loudest when decelerating. Check out the following YouTube video

R1T Motor Noise

to experience the noise first hand. The bar graph shows the noise level for each 1/3 octave. The center frequency of the noise is displayed at the top and varies with vehicle speed. Any other dual motor R1T owners experiencing this level of motor noise? The head service technician at Sacramento center says this is normal. I was able to test drive a dual motor R1S and the motor whine was much quieter.
Sponsored

TheRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 R1S Dual Motor Max Pack, '22 BMW X45e
I hear the same initial whine, but Iā€™m pretty sure I donā€™t hear the ā€˜deeperā€™ sound in your recording. Iā€™ll double check tomorrow and confirm what I hear.

kyunam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 LS 400, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
not sure what I'm doing
Clubs

wow.. it does sound like a sporty ICE sedan

dinosaurkun

First Name
dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T - DM, 2dr Bronco
the R1T is pretty quiet compared to all the other ICE cars/trucks/SUVs i've driven before.
that does make it pretty easy to hear the whine inherent in any electric motor.
depending on speed, road conditions, and etc. i can hear similar noises to your R1t more or less clearly in my non-performance DM R1T.
drown it out with music...the stock sound system is actually nice.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Our quad Bosch motors are definitely audible but donā€™t sound like this.

edited to ask: are you on AT tires. Could that be part of what you hear mixed in with the enduro whine?

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Motors are louder when the truck is using them to heat the battery. I haven't been in a dual motor vehicle yet so can't offer up if that's unusually loud at all. My quads are both loudest around that same speed.

Tr4ckD4ys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Clubs

I have a performance dual motor R1T with Max pack. There is significant motor/differential whine from 0 to ~60 MPH. Peaks at approx. 35 MPH. Loudest when decelerating. Check out the following YouTube video

R1T Motor Noise

to experience the noise first hand. The bar graph shows the noise level for each 1/3 octave. The center frequency of the noise is displayed at the top and varies with vehicle speed. Any other dual motor R1T owners experiencing this level of motor noise? The head service technician at Sacramento center says this is normal. I was able to test drive a dual motor R1S and the motor whine was much quieter.
R1T Dual-Performance here. There is a lot of ā€œnormalā€ to the sound in the YouTube video but thereā€™s also definitely a distinct lower-pitched noise there that I donā€™t have at all in mine. I can hear during your deceleration/regen events where the motor whine almost starts sounding more mechanical.

Magicbus

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Performance R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Occupation
Retired
Dual motor/Performance here and other than faint whine on accelerating and regeneration all is quiet such that we donā€™t hear anything.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

I don't have a DM but have owned 5 different EVs over the years. The high pitched sounds seem normal and some whine is normal especially on Regen.

With that said, yours sounds like a bearing noise on Regen. If SC is saying it's normal I would document and unfortunately wait until it gets worse. You do have 150k miles of warranty on the motors. You could also try to escalate as well

Please keep us updated on what happens with this.

Engi_Nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR, Alfa Romeo Giulia
Our newest Model Y has a bad front drive unit bearing that makes the vehicle quite unpleasant to operate in the cold and apparently it is a widespread issue ( What is this high pitched cricket like noise? | Tesla Motors Club ). Tesla refuses to fix it, claiming "some motor noise is normal". The idea that I could spend $80-100K on a Rivian EV and still experience the same BS manufacturer gaslighting is quite disheartening.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Microdowns

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Motors are louder when the truck is using them to heat the battery. I haven't been in a dual motor vehicle yet so can't offer up if that's unusually loud at all. My quads are both loudest around that same speed.
I live in northern California and park the truck in a insulated garage, so the motors have rarely or never heated the battery.

OP
OP

Microdowns

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Dual motor/Performance here and other than faint whine on accelerating and regeneration all is quiet such that we donā€™t hear anything.
The R1S that I test drove had a faint whine like you describe. Totally acceptable to me. The whine on mine is nearly 10 times louder (approaching 20 dB) than the other background noises of the truck. Even music doesn't fully mask the sound unless I play it at ear-bleed levels!

mjisaacson55

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Dual Motor Rivian R1S
Occupation
Engineer

R1T Motor Noise

I have an R1S DM and mine sounds exactly the same as yours, worst when regen kicks in around 30 mph. I have a service appointment in a few weeks and this is one of the items that I am going to have them look at.

Yota2R1T

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Solar PV professional
Clubs

The R1S that I test drove had a faint whine like you describe. Totally acceptable to me. The whine on mine is nearly 10 times louder (approaching 20 dB) than the other background noises of the truck. Even music doesn't fully mask the sound unless I play it at ear-bleed levels!
Escalate. Unacceptable is unacceptable.

BCondrey

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
With the windows up and the stereo on if you are annoyed by the sound, put in a ticket. My DM is not really audible unless I try to hear it.
Sponsored