Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Prius Plug-in
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I read it as no more Guide contacts, it's all online now. Not sure why I didn't get the email - I'm an R1T pre-order and I live near a Service Center. Another random Rivian email that some people get and some don't I suppose.
Mass emails need to be sent out slowly. If you send 100k emails in a few seconds, every ISP is going to mark it as spam and discard it. This is especially bad for folks like me who use a popular email provider (gmail) because you need to limit the number of emails to each provider.
Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I read this as probably a good update to the order process with one caveat.

The only reason this seems bad is that I was really open to the idea of speaking to a guide who could offer me a few configurations to pick from because I'm not locked to a particular color. That seems like a practice they want to get away from by locking things in on the website.

If we didn't know that these guide matching to produced trucks conversations had been happening, we'd probably be happy with this latest news.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3, SC Bronson
Occupation
Product Development

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I was assigned a guide 3 weeks ago. I don't know if it was just my experience or if this was a new procedure. But when we were going over my configuration, I said I'm willing to make a few changes if that would match me with a vehicle quicker. My guide said no. We will lock this configuration in. So maybe they are trying to get away from finding similar vehicles and deliver the vehicle that was built for the individual. IDK
Other people have mentioned their guides were open to changing the configuration to match them quicker. Rivian guide system seems to be a mess right now.

Sponsored

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch edition
Other people have mentioned their guides were open to changing the configuration to match them quicker. Rivian guide system seems to be a mess right now.
Thatā€™s what I heard and expected. Again it just might be my guide.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Locking configs gives Rivian the ability to better plan blocks of like configurations for production runs. All this mess of trying to match people to trucks that don't match their configs will be eliminated if they actually know ahead of time what people want. All the folks changing their configs a million times a day kinda brought this on. As a max pack preorder, I'm not surprised I didn't get this email since they already know they won't be building my truck until at least 2023.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Mass emails need to be sent out slowly. If you send 100k emails in a few seconds, every ISP is going to mark it as spam and discard it. This is especially bad for folks like me who use a popular email provider (gmail) because you need to limit the number of emails to each provider.
Or maybe that is what they are doing and that is why some of us aren't getting the emails, because the ISPs are blocking them.

OP
OP

mpw81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Q5 PHEV
I read this as the ability for everyone to change their configuration (and try to game it based on recent deliveries) is wreaking havoc with their production planning so this is a way to get a certain number of people "locked" so it's easier to production plan.

I know many of us here are in the "I'll take a handful of different options if something comes up earlier" or "I'll literally take anything you have on the lot" but I can understand why that would be a nightmare for production planning.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

So just a little first hand experience.

I received my guide last week. When I got my guide, before he reached out, I had the option to essentially skip the guide and confirm everything online.

Since I wanted the guide experience I opted to wait and set up the call instead.

It looks like this email is just announcing that change to a wider audience.

Sponsored

RivnSoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5, ZHP, R1T, E36 M3
Occupation
Tax payer
Or maybe that is what they are doing and that is why some of us aren't getting the emails, because the ISPs are blocking them.
ISPs blocking emails from Rivian, say?
Ooooh, that's why I haven't been assigned a guide!!!

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
The email sounds ominously like emails from an airline FF program announcing "enhancements"

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
That's not what I said, it's not about the customer and where they are from or not from. Legally, Rivian cannot partake in any activities related to the marketing or sale of vehicles in TX or other states with similar laws. Therefore, you cannot take a test drive from their facility, talk about pricing with someone at their facility, or consummate a transaction/take delivery at their facility.
They can't do it IN THAT STATE THAT PROHIBITS DIRECT SALES.

There is no reason someone who resides in a "no direct sales" state can't go to a state that DOES allow direct sales to participate in any of those transactions.

agame32

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
The (?) contact us icon is gone from my rivian account page, fwiw. Perhaps a temporary glitch or part of communications overhauling.

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
Well this doesnā€™t explain why many of us never received the ā€œGet ready for the purchase processā€ email from a few weeks ago. And yes, weā€™ve checked our junk mail folder. šŸ˜‰
Sponsored