BobinIndy

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Rivian R1T, '54 Jaguar XK120
Occupation
Program Manager - Consumer Electronics/Mfg.
Clubs

I had the same issue in a recent snow storm, couldn't see jack squat. I actually ran with just my parking lights for a hot second, which was actually a bit better, but obviously not a great idea as it made me less visible to others, wasn't legal, etc.... so I only did it briefly to see the difference. The fog lights did help a bit, but was also wanting a front fogs only setting in the moment (pretty sure it'll never happen as I think it's a DOT no-no). I think the yellow fog tint might be the best option.
Sponsored

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
I’ve always tapped my fog lights to trigger with parking lights so I would just run parking or DLR’s and fog when needed and then could enable headlights which would keep fog lights on as well.

OP
OP
CO-rayman

CO-rayman

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge, ...
I’ve always tapped my fog lights to trigger with parking lights so I would just run parking or DLR’s and fog when needed and then could enable headlights which would keep fog lights on as well.
Thanks, that's a great idea.

As @BobinIndy, I tried the parking lights only and it was just scary in the blizzard because I am sure others couldn't see me.

But, I love this idea of tapping the fog lights with the parking lights. I bet it would be bright enough, especially if I use a yellow bulb or wrap it yellow as @Kuro-Rivian suggested.

Of course, as soon as I do this, Rivian is going to come out with an OTA update to turn on the fog lights independently 😢

OP
OP
CO-rayman

CO-rayman

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge, ...

Sponsored

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Yeah, I mean isn't the whole idea behind "fog lights" offering lights that illuminate close to the ground, you know.. below the fog and below your line of sight? Having "fog lights" that only work when the main beams are on is idiotic and the exact opposite of what needs to be done because it actually makes the visibility situation worse.
It's illegal in many states to drive with your fog lights on and your headlights off. https://www.lesschwab.com/article/how-do-i-drive-safely-in-fog.html

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
It's illegal in many states to drive with your fog lights on and your headlights off. https://www.lesschwab.com/article/how-do-i-drive-safely-in-fog.html
Thanks.. from your article...

"What You Should Know about Fog Lights

Fog lights are designed to be used at low speed in fog, heavy mist, snow and other poor-visibility situations. They’re different from daytime running lights. They are an extra pair of lights mounted low on the vehicle, with the thinking that fog doesn’t settle on the road surface but hovers 12 to 18 inches above it. They aim light into this layer of fog-free air. They also point to the right enough that the driver can see the solid, white “fog line” at the road edge as a guide."

OP
OP
CO-rayman

CO-rayman

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge, ...
Great find @yizzung!

While I appreciate lessschwab's effort in compiling a list per state, I can't find any legal authority (at least in Colorado) that confirms lessschwab's statement that fog lights have to be used with headlights.

Your state may of course be different but I looked into the Colorado rules (using a google search) and the closest section I found says as follows:

"(2) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two fog lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than twelve inches nor more than thirty inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands and so aimed that, when the vehicle is not loaded, none of the high-intensity portion of the light to the left of the center of the vehicle shall at a distance of twenty-five feet ahead project higher than a level of four inches below the level of the center of the lamp from which it comes. Lighted fog lamps meeting the requirements of this subsection (2) may be used with lower head-lamp beams as specified in section 42-4-216(1)(b)."

Source: https://codes.findlaw.com/co/title-42-vehicles-and-traffic/co-rev-st-sect-42-4-212/

That last section mentioned in the law says:

"(1) Except as provided in this article, the head lamps or the auxiliary driving lamp or the auxiliary passing lamp or combination thereof on motor vehicles, other than motorcycles or low-power scooters, shall be so arranged that the driver may select at will between distributions of light projected to different elevations, and such lamps may, in addition, be so arranged that such selection can be made automatically, subject to the following limitations:

(b) There shall be a lowermost distribution of light or composite beam so aimed and of sufficient intensity to reveal persons and vehicles at a distance of at least one hundred feet ahead;  and on a straight level road under any condition of loading, none of the high-intensity portion of the beam shall be directed to strike the eyes of an approaching driver."

Source: https://codes.findlaw.com/co/title-42-vehicles-and-traffic/co-rev-st-sect-42-4-216/

Hence, the fog lamps "may be used" with low beam headlamps. This does not, however, mean they have to be used together, as long as you can illuminate 100 feet on a clear day and you don't blind the oncoming traffic.

This makes sense to me having driven in heavy fog and blizzard conditions over the years with cars that allowed you to run the fog lights independent of the headlights.

Also, regarding glare, it's a non-issue in blizzard or heavy fog since the light won't be blinding any on-coming traffic. You'd be lucky if you could illuminate a 100 feet.

The rules are an interesting read and some sections confirm what @NY_Rob mentioned about the requirements of 12 inches off the ground, etc.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer

I can’t recall of any modern cars where you can have the fogs on without your headlights on
.….
My 2010 Avalanche and 2016 BMW X3 allow you to turn on the fogs independent of the headlights.

Last edited:

EVnewb

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna, Tesla MYP, R1T
I did the exact same thing in our ‘05 4Runner and it worked great. There are certain situations when using fog lights only is the best way to drive safely. Doubt it’s as simple to do in these smart trucks, but I’m going to try it.

I also covered the R1T fog lights with some yellow tint and that has made a noticeable difference in the fog.

Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
IIRC from other snow driving threads others have pointed out that the front belt line lights between the headlamps may be causing the most reflective challenges in nighttime snow.

It may be worth a blackout or dark tint PPF outing to gauge how much.

usulio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I did the exact same thing in our ‘05 4Runner and it worked great. There are certain situations when using fog lights only is the best way to drive safely. Doubt it’s as simple to do in these smart trucks, but I’m going to try it.
Did you try tapping the fog lights into the parking lights?

Or anyone else with ideas for improving blizzard visibility for this winter? It sounds like adding lights won't help much if the problem is too much white light from the lightbar and headlights.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Hailing @twraps, IIliya, would you guys please consider making body colored PPF for the front light bars to help cut down on snow storm reflection at night?

I have your medium tint on the light bars now, and may try completely blocking out the light bars during night snow event as a test run.

Thanks and cheers.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I have been concerned this would be an issue ive always had amber fogs and in sittuations like that would be running park lights and fogs. I have the yellow Twraps as well but now im thinking I will be carrying some masking tape as well incase I need to block off the light bars and the top of the headlight "seems easier than pulling fuses"

twraps

Site Sponsor
First Name
Iliya
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twraps.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Model S, Model 3
Clubs

Hailing @twraps, IIliya, would you guys please consider making body colored PPF for the front light bars to help cut down on snow storm reflection at night?

I have your medium tint on the light bars now, and may try completely blocking out the light bars during night snow event as a test run.

Thanks and cheers.
Unfortunately I can't... since we don't manufacture the PPF ourselves (for now), we are limited to what color options are available, and since Rivian developed their own proprietary colors, nothing on the market would match that. I might do a blackout though, if more people request it.
Sponsored