Driving in Blizzard with Fog Lights

CO-rayman

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge, ...
I picked up my R1T about a month ago and finally got to drive it in the Colorado mountains.

Last weekend, I had to drive in blizzard conditions at night and was very happy with the handling as well as traction on my 20" AT tires in very slippery conditions.

Unfortunately, the lighting situation were less than ideal. Visibility was very low with the headlights on. There was a lot of reflection off the snow even when using the fog lights. The problem seems to be that the headlights basically overpower the fog lights and cause so much reflection which renders the fog lights ineffective.

In previous vehicles with fog lights, I always had the option to only turn on the fog lights (and not the headlights). I haven't been able to find such a setting in my Rivian.

I am curious to hear from others and their experiences with the fog lights in whiteout conditions, and whether anybody has a solution short of covering the headlights 😀

(see picture taken by my passenger)

Rivian R1T R1S Driving in Blizzard with Fog Lights 20230312_195917
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Generally speaking that just looks terrifying.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
To me, it looks like you have your auto brights on. It’s pretty well known that brights make driving in the snow even worse than standard beams because they magnify the light off the snow. I bet you you had your auto high beams on.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
From my experience driving through blizzards like that one, I feel like it has more to do with the direction the snow is blowing. Sometimes it doesn’t seem to matter what lighting you use, that snow is determined to hypnotize you.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CO-rayman

CO-rayman

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge, ...
To me, it looks like you have your auto brights on. It’s pretty well known that brights make driving in the snow even worse than standard beams because they magnify the light off the snow. I bet you you had your auto high beams on.
That's the first thing I tried but there wasn't really that much difference.

I think @COdogman is correct. It was pretty windy and the direction of snow seemed to be coming right at me.

Per prior experience with several vehicles, only having the fog lights on lower to the ground would significantly reduce the reflection off the snow caused by the regular headlights.

While driving in blizzard conditions are rear, fog seems to be a common issue in many areas of the country. It would be nice if Rivian would allow this option since these vehicles are intended to be adventure vehicles.

Honestly, the visibility was so bad that I am planning to look at pulling the headlight fuses next time. The only thing that kept me going was following the cars in front of me.

And, before you ask, I did have my prescription glasses on 😎

Last edited:

carmigo

Site Sponsor
First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
We help people sell their Rivian in the easiest way possible.
I picked up my R1T about a month ago and finally got to drive it in the Colorado mountains.

Last weekend, I had to drive in blizzard conditions at night and was very happy with the handling as well as traction on my 20" AT tires in very slippery conditions.

Unfortunately, the lighting situation were less than ideal. Visibility was very low with the headlights on. There was a lot of reflection off the snow even when using the fog lights. The problem seems to be that the headlights basically overpower the fog lights and cause so much reflection which renders the fog lights ineffective.

In previous vehicles with fog lights, I always had the option to only turn on the fog lights (and not the headlights). I haven't been able to find such a setting in my Rivian.

I am curious to hear from others and their experiences with the fog lights in whiteout conditions, and whether anybody has a solution short of covering the headlights 😀

(see picture taken by my passenger)

20230312_195917.jpg
First of all, really cool picture. We hope you were safe out there. If you can't figure out turning the lights off, pulling the fuse until you can get out of those conditions might be the safest option, but make sure to put it back afterwards!

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

I’m intrigued by your statement about turning off your lights and simply using your fog lights.
I can’t recall of any modern cars where you can have the fogs on without your headlights on.
I wonder if the warmth/brightness (even color) of the headlights could be adjusted for such conditions.

R1TLG20BM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE vehicles
That's the first thing I tried but there wasn't really that much difference.

I think @COdogman is correct. It was pretty windy and the direction of snow seemed to be coming right at me.

Per prior experience with several vehicles, only having the fog lights on lower to the ground would significantly reduce the reflection off the snow caused by the regular headlights.

While driving in blizzard conditions are rear, fog seems to be a common issue in many areas of the country. It would be nice if Rivian would allow this option since these vehicles are intended to be adventure vehicles.

Honestly, the visibility was so bad that I am planning to look at pulling the headlight fuses next time. The only thing that kept me going was following the cars in front of me.

And, before you ask, I did have my prescription glasses on 😎
I've had a similar experience about a dozen times in heavy snow conditions. Lighting is causing more issues than its solving. Was simply dangerous to be honest. I resorted to pulling the fuses after the third butt puckering experience myself. Since then the last half dozen times in heavy snow have been tolerable, but the fog lights aren't very effective. Better than the headlight and fog combo, but the angle and output of the fog lights themselves feel more decorative than anything else. Will solve that before next season for sure.

In the meantime, pulling the fuse is the only real option. Simple enough.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Yeah, I mean isn't the whole idea behind "fog lights" offering lights that illuminate close to the ground, you know.. below the fog and below your line of sight? Having "fog lights" that only work when the main beams are on is idiotic and the exact opposite of what needs to be done because it actually makes the visibility situation worse.

OP
OP
CO-rayman

CO-rayman

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge, ...
I've had a similar experience about a dozen times in heavy snow conditions. Lighting is causing more issues than its solving. Was simply dangerous to be honest. I resorted to pulling the fuses after the third butt puckering experience myself. Since then the last half dozen times in heavy snow have been tolerable, but the fog lights aren't very effective. Better than the headlight and fog combo, but the angle and output of the fog lights themselves feel more decorative than anything else. Will solve that before next season for sure.

In the meantime, pulling the fuse is the only real option. Simple enough.
Thanks for confirming I am not the only one with the issue.

Sounds like an upgraded fog light bulb may be in order, may be with color variation as suggested by @AxelR.

I figured the fuses are as follows:

LH headlight F58 driver's side
RH headlight F21 passenger's side

(pictures I found on other threads/reddit are attached)

Driver's Side:

Rivian R1T R1S Driving in Blizzard with Fog Lights Driver Side list of fuses

Passenger's Side:

Rivian R1T R1S Driving in Blizzard with Fog Lights Passenger Side list of fuses

OP
OP
CO-rayman

CO-rayman

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge, ...
Thanks for confirming I am not the only one with the issue.

Sounds like an upgraded fog light bulb may be in order, may be with color variation as suggested by @AxelR.

I figured the fuses are as follows:

LH headlight F58 driver's side
RH headlight F21 passenger's side

(pictures I found on other threads/reddit are attached)

Driver's Side:

Driver Side list of fuses.jpg

Passenger's Side:

Passenger Side list of fuses.jpg
I haven't personally verified these yet but just thought it may be helpful to have the info in this thread.

Driver's Side fuse box:
Rivian R1T R1S Driving in Blizzard with Fog Lights Driver Side fusebox

Passenger's Side fuse box:

Rivian R1T R1S Driving in Blizzard with Fog Lights Passenger Side fusebox