Sponsored

Pod lighting, aux, off-road, flood, lightbar -- anyone install these?

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
@WattTruckMatt Thank you for sharing the Trigger. This is the control solution i was looking for. definitely going to order this today. although it will probably tempt me to fill all 4 switchse with more lights or maybe a train horn (even get crazy and hook it up to the onboard air? LOL)

anyway where are you thinking for mounting the switches? im torn between the simple visor clip or maybe on the left of the steering wheel. I would love it out of sight but also learned from my Jeep that Aux light need to be easy to reach IMO.
1674217207293.png
The mount from Proclips could work. I bought this to use on the right side of the center screen with a magnet mount for my wife. It also works on the left side of the steering wheel.

Rivian R1T R1S Pod lighting, aux, off-road, flood, lightbar -- anyone install these? 1674218560651

Rivian R1T R1S Pod lighting, aux, off-road, flood, lightbar -- anyone install these? 1674218598121

Would have to take some measurements to make sure the toggle box fits.

The mount comes with a strip of double-sided tape but it's easily removable and stays in place just fine without it. Could throw the switches on the dash when needed. All in all, not the most esthetic solution but it's something.

https://www.proclipusa.com/products/855822-rivian-angled-dash-mount
Sponsored

electruck4x4

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Electruck4x4.com
Vehicles
'22 R1T VIN 2xx, '19 Model 3, '70 Blazer
@WattTruckMatt Thank you for sharing the Trigger. This is the control solution i was looking for. definitely going to order this today. although it will probably tempt me to fill all 4 switchse with more lights or maybe a train horn (even get crazy and hook it up to the onboard air? LOL)

anyway where are you thinking for mounting the switches? im torn between the simple visor clip or maybe on the left of the steering wheel. I would love it out of sight but also learned from my Jeep that Aux light need to be easy to reach IMO.
1674217207293.png
Agreed. Nice find!

Let me/us know how you like it because it looks like I can easily carry this product. So, if it turns out to be a quality product, it could make a good candidate for a future lighting combo.

Leonbmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Tesla MY
Occupation
Boeing Design Engineer
Clubs

1674217207293.png
Did you end up buying this?

How is the quality?

Did you install it yet?

Leonbmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Boeing Design Engineer
Clubs

I bit the bullet and bought some Diode Dynamics SS3 White Max Combo Pods and the DCE brackets today.

The guys at DCE use the SWITCHPRO's 6 switch panel on their optima truck, so they went the wired route.

So in the interim I bought a kit on amazon to try out, let's see is it works:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M1FBSIL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ideally I would loved a higher quality/ better looking remote, but whatever I could find was all pretty similar. I picked this one because it says it is waterproof.

Last edited:

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model s, lexus gs 350 f sport, toyota corolla
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

The mount from Proclips could work. I bought this to use on the right side of the center screen with a magnet mount for my wife. It also works on the left side of the steering wheel.

1674218560651.png

1674218598121.png

Would have to take some measurements to make sure the toggle box fits.

The mount comes with a strip of double-sided tape but it's easily removable and stays in place just fine without it. Could throw the switches on the dash when needed. All in all, not the most esthetic solution but it's something.

https://www.proclipusa.com/products/855822-rivian-angled-dash-mount
is that purple ambient lighting or is it just the reflection? I didn't know we could change the color yet.

Sponsored

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
is that purple ambient lighting or is it just the reflection? I didn't know we could change the color yet.
That's a pic from the Proclip website. I imagine it's just a weird reflection. Rivian hasn't enabled color-change on ambient lighting. Hopefully someday.

Leonbmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Boeing Design Engineer
Clubs

In doing some more research, this may be a good option too, as most of us will have our phone in the truck, so you don't have to worry about bringing/ losing a light fob.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/718849

The only thing I am curious about is whether we have enough room behind the frunk area to mount this? @electricRaptor what do you think?

Leonbmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Boeing Design Engineer
Clubs

I ended up buying the Garmin Powerswitch. It seemed like a more reputable/ Higher quality version of the Trigger system mentioned earlier.

So one thing that is worrying me a little is whether or not these kind of wireless systems will drain the 12V battery when the truck is not is use? They both operate on bluetooth, so it feels like they would be "always on" ?

Both systems accept trigger inputs, however, rivian was nice enough to put the fusebox in the cabin, so the whole "no wiring into the cab" bit falls apart with that. So, if I can avoid that, that would be swell.

electricRaptor

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Cloud Architect
In doing some more research, this may be a good option too, as most of us will have our phone in the truck, so you don't have to worry about bringing/ losing a light fob.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/718849

The only thing I am curious about is whether we have enough room behind the frunk area to mount this? @electricRaptor what do you think?
Woops, didn’t see your message. I’ll go take a photo of the frunk and where I placed the box, since it would have been quite difficult to tuck it behind the tub IMHO. If you manage, take better photos than I did!

Off topic: I’m in Salida, CO charging for free at a Rivian DCFC after charging for free in Montrose, CO also at a Rivian DCFC.

Montrose:
Rivian R1T R1S Pod lighting, aux, off-road, flood, lightbar -- anyone install these? A10F251A-F04C-40DB-831A-346AF6C46AEC

electricRaptor

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Cloud Architect
I ended up buying the Garmin Powerswitch. It seemed like a more reputable/ Higher quality version of the Trigger system mentioned earlier.

So one thing that is worrying me a little is whether or not these kind of wireless systems will drain the 12V battery when the truck is not is use? They both operate on bluetooth, so it feels like they would be "always on" ?

Both systems accept trigger inputs, however, rivian was nice enough to put the fusebox in the cabin, so the whole "no wiring into the cab" bit falls apart with that. So, if I can avoid that, that would be swell.
I had the truck sitting for a few weeks while I was in South America, and only experienced the normal drain. The vehicle was “asleep”, although I imagine if someone got the RF right, they could trigger it to turn on (my remote itself has an on/off switch, so I can’t accidentally enable the lights). That said, they’re LED lights with very very low amp draw, so I’m not worried. Plus, there are two 12v batteries. Moreover (!), I see charging sessions also charge “cabin, accessories” or whatever, so I imagine when you charge the truck, there’s some sort of 400V to 12V system to charge those batteries.

TLDR; I’m not worried about it, and I’ve had this wireless light kit for ~6 years without issue (knock on wood). 🙂

Sponsored

Leonbmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Boeing Design Engineer
Clubs

I installed the Garmin Powerswitch today.
It is a tight fit for sure, my hands are covered in small cuts and scrapes, haha!

here are some pics:
Rivian R1T R1S Pod lighting, aux, off-road, flood, lightbar -- anyone install these? 2E8547A0-B7B0-4AD3-B2AB-AA1F4540F494

Rivian R1T R1S Pod lighting, aux, off-road, flood, lightbar -- anyone install these? 709AA21E-259A-47A1-8F1D-FAD2DD1B0B75
Rivian R1T R1S Pod lighting, aux, off-road, flood, lightbar -- anyone install these? 89610925-C40D-4D11-A480-F4353011C39B

Rivian R1T R1S Pod lighting, aux, off-road, flood, lightbar -- anyone install these? A288D672-4C4C-4647-8A3F-BE05235605F2
Rivian R1T R1S Pod lighting, aux, off-road, flood, lightbar -- anyone install these? 9383635C-F09F-4051-83F3-596EE26256FA

Last edited:

Leonbmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Boeing Design Engineer
Clubs

@electricRaptor @WattTruckMatt
So I have the DCE brackets with some diode dynamics SS3 Max's and I notice that the lights vibrate a lot, even when driving on surface streets/ the freeway. I am wondering if you have the same experience and if so, what have you done to mitigate this?

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
So I have the DCE brackets with some diode dynamics SS3 Max's and I notice that the lights vibrate a lot, even when driving on surface streets/ the freeway. I am wondering if you have the same experience and if so, what have you done to mitigate this?
I don't have any lights installed yet. I have brackets from s00nish on pre-order. Not too happy to know there is vibration from the brackets. That's a non-starter for me. Maybe we need to use some smaller/lighter lights to mitigate the issue?

Leonbmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Boeing Design Engineer
Clubs

I don't have any lights installed yet. I have brackets from s00nish on pre-order. Not too happy to know there is vibration from the brackets. That's a non-starter for me. Maybe we need to use some smaller/lighter lights to mitigate the issue?
I'm in Seattle and David from S00nish and I have been talking about it. I have a temp fix for it, but she ain't purdy.

Basically, per David's idea, I stuffed 3 furniture pads (the ones you put under seat or table legs) between the hood ridge and the bracket. This stopped 90% of the vibrations, so we are on the right track there.

@Sojhinn can chime in as well, as well as plug the s00nish parts ;)

Rivian R1T R1S Pod lighting, aux, off-road, flood, lightbar -- anyone install these? 8216F2B7-8603-4DBE-8037-D4F3BEFD69BB

electricRaptor

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Cloud Architect
I did too notice this, which I never had on the brackets for my Grand Cherokee. Definitely annoying to see them vibrate, although they vibrate less at highway speeds. I thought about reaching out to DCE but got lazy and forgot. Maybe if we both send them emails, that'll help for a redesign and shipping us an updated product. I actually considered just forking out for the other brackets (if they were available as a standalone product yet) to compare... but I don't think they are.
Sponsored