Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge, Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
Retired (newspaper reporter)
Clubs

I'm pre-price increase on my yet-to-come R1S. Large pack, dual motor performance (only dual available when I locked my configuration in October). In the shop now is my same configuration except black not El Cap Granite (no price difference) and regular dual motor instead of performance. The same price as my performance dual. In January I asked a guide if I could amend my configuration to regular dual and lower my price. The answer (direct quote from email): "Upon review of your configurator, we actually cannot update your configuration to the Dual-Motor. You only have the option to configure Quad-Motor or Performance Dual". So shouldn't the price that I see on that regular dual in the shop be lower than my performance dual? And why can't I update my configuration to regular dual at a lower price than I'll be paying for performance dual? Not whining as I'm lucky to have pre-price increase, but it doesn't seem to make sense to me.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Bristlecone

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

But the guide said I "only have the option to configure Quad Motor or performance dual" which suggests I could switch to quad. Have, not had.

Last edited:

edman007

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CY R1S
I don't know, but me personally, I wouldn't look too far into it. Just wait for your config if that's what they are going to do.

Now if they do an end of quarter push and call you up to swap to a shop config, I think you'd have some leverage to get it (and I hear they DO give discounts, like you could get your accessories for free). But if you're locked, I don't think they'll call, so just wait, it will be soon enough.

OP
OP

Bristlecone

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Yeah, you're right. I just got curious waiting on my Dec/Jan delivery estimate now that it's nearing the end of February and no word on the car. I always assumed my shop prices reflect the fact I have pre-price increase pricing, so why wouldn't the regular dual motor in the shop for me be cheaper than my price with the performance dual. I believe the performance is $5k more, right?

Sponsored

Eric9610

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Tesla MY, MB E350, MB S550
Clubs

The reason the price of your DMP is the same as DM is you got a price lock where the current DMP your config is higher...

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
But the guide said I "only have the option to configure Quad Motor or performance dual" which suggests I could switch to quad. Have not had.
You have a pre-price-hike order. There was no Dual motor option at that time. So at some point, you switched your configuration to a Dual motor.

Rivian has no obligation to give you pre-price-hike pricing on a configuration that didn't exist pre-price-hike. But if you had an R1T Quad MAX reserved they offered a discount to switch to Dual (or Dual Performance) MAX at the time. You would have received an email about this. (EDIT: See https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...unavailable-w-quad-motor-starting-2023.11074/). And if you did nothing, I believe they automatically switched you to R1T Dual Performance MAX. That deal didn't exist for the R1S because Rivian never offered a R1S Quad MAX.

Regardless, you've left out some information. I don't know how you got a discounted price on an R1S Dual Performance, but I do know that you're lucky to have that since that was not one of the configurations that was price protected.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Bristlecone

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

You have a pre-price-hike order. There was no Dual motor option at that time. So at some point, you switched your configuration to a Dual motor.

Rivian has no obligation to give you pre-price-hike pricing on a configuration that didn't exist pre-price-hike. But if you had an R1T Quad MAX reserved they offered a discount to switch to Dual (or Dual Performance) MAX at the time. You would have received an email about this. (EDIT: See https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/update-your-max-pack-preorder-r1t’s-max-pack-only-available-w-dual-motor-unavailable-w-quad-motor-starting-2023.11074/). And if you did nothing, I believe they automatically switched you to R1T Dual Performance MAX. That deal didn't exist for the R1S because Rivian never offered a R1S Quad MAX.

Regardless, you've left out some information. I don't know how you got a discounted price on an R1S Dual Performance, but I do know that you're lucky to have that since that was not one of the configurations that was price protected.
Didn’t have the Max pre-ordered, just the Quad. The performance dual was an option when I configured in October but not the regular dual. And I wasn't automatically switched. Hey, I totally agree I’m very lucky to have the price I have. I am more than eager to pay it and get my S. I just am curious why the regular dual now in the shop is the same price as my performance dual. Seems like it ought to be less at least for pre-price hike folks. Some of them might wonder too. Now, I’m done.

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Didn’t have the Max pre-ordered, just the Quad. The performance dual was an option when I configured in October but not the regular dual. And I wasn't automatically switched. Hey, I totally agree I’m very lucky to have the price I have. I am more than eager to pay it and get my S. I just am curious why the regular dual now in the shop is the same price as my performance dual. Seems like it ought to be less at least for pre-price hike folks. Some of them might wonder too. Now, I’m done.
I think it is just a matter of minimizing losses, which is fair & reasonable.
Why would they offer a further discount on a vehicle that costs the same to produce?
i ordered the Explore package & was bumped to adventure ($5k Ca up charge).Way back I asked if I could change to LE since that is what I would have ordered initially if Explore was not an option, they were like sorry nope.
Oh well, we are very fortunate they are still holding the price, for some its been over 5 years.
Tesla is doing the opposite because they can.

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

I'm pre-price increase on my yet-to-come R1S. Large pack, dual motor performance (only dual available when I locked my configuration in October). In the shop now is my same configuration except black not El Cap Granite (no price difference) and regular dual motor instead of performance. The same price as my performance dual. In January I asked a guide if I could amend my configuration to regular dual and lower my price. The answer (direct quote from email): "Upon review of your configurator, we actually cannot update your configuration to the Dual-Motor. You only have the option to configure Quad-Motor or Performance Dual". So shouldn't the price that I see on that regular dual in the shop be lower than my performance dual? And why can't I update my configuration to regular dual at a lower price than I'll be paying for performance dual? Not whining as I'm lucky to have pre-price increase, but it doesn't seem to make sense to me.
I wondered this myself. It seems like Max dual non performance costs *more* than my config. I just assumed it was done weird option combo. But you could be right and we are only seeing the price breaks for what we configured; quad large and dual max performance.

I will also add, I wish I could get dual max non performance at the pre price hike and then buy the performance addon via credit card afterwards.

Sponsored

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I will also add, I wish I could get dual max non performance at the pre price hike and then buy the performance addon via credit card afterwards.
When is your configuration getting delivered? Since you aren't towing why not go with standard + as it seems like the best value vs range?
All along I thought you were holding out for the MP for towing.

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

When is your configuration getting delivered? Since you aren't towing why not go with standard + ?
All along I thought you were holding out for the MP for towing.
Nope, I just want those sweet sweet Samsung 53g's, increased degredation or not. I want to go as far as possible, no towing for me. Besides if I was towing, 11 miles is a rounding error.

And I've been following the 20" AS threads a lot because I want to burn through the ATs and get an efficient 20" that can get me that range back. For those wondering, the top picks are the Pirelli AS, Michelin defender (although mixed results), and something called a grabber (which I assume will just explode on tight turns).

OP
OP

Bristlecone

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

I think it is just a matter of minimizing losses, which is fair & reasonable.
Why would they offer a further discount on a vehicle that costs the same to produce?
i ordered the Explore package & was bumped to adventure ($5k Ca up charge).Way back I asked if I could change to LE since that is what I would have ordered initially if Explore was not an option, they were like sorry nope.
Oh well, we are very fortunate they are still holding the price, for some its been over 5 years.
Tesla is doing the opposite because they can.
Yeah, it's reasonable and we are fortunate. With a still newish company, I think we all have an obligation to pull together to help Rivian succeed. At this point, after waiting 2-plus years, I'm just anxious to get my hands on the S and be fully electric along side my 2021 Volvo recharge, both purring away in the garage with juice from my solar panels.

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Nope, I just want those sweet sweet Samsung 53g's, increased degredation or not. I want to go as far as possible, no towing for me. Besides if I was towing, 11 miles is a rounding error.

And I've been following the 20" AS threads a lot because I want to burn through the ATs and get an efficient 20" that can get me that range back. For those wondering, the top picks are the Pirelli AS, Michelin defender (although mixed results), and something called a grabber (which I assume will just explode on tight turns).
Any idea when you will finally get your configuration, did you order in 2018?
If you want to go as far as possible why not get the 21"?
If I keep the R1S I sm going down a size to 275/60R20 AS for further reduced weight & boost to range.
I am still on the fence as to if the large +/~ (max) is worth the PPH cost for an additional 25 hwy/10-15 towing miles.
The standard + 21" actually gets more range than my 20" LP.

Last edited:

Zeusy Zeus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

But the guide said I "only have the option to configure Quad Motor or performance dual" which suggests I could switch to quad. Have, not had.
Probably because they’re having a hard time selling those more premium and expensive models. They don’t want to discount the other models. You’re lucky you even have a choice I wasn’t given one. It was quad or nothing at pre price hike.
Sponsored