Sponsored

Does anyone know what camping trailer this Rivian R1T is pulling? [Updated: Airstream Basecamp]

GEON

First Name
GEON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
Technology Executive
Thanks for all the great tips!
Sponsored

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
Just picked up our Basecamp 20x over the weekend. The R1t pulls it like a dream. I was very surprise how stable the towing was and there wasn't any need for a weight distributing hitch.

I am planning a trip soon and wondered what to expect for real world mileage, I assumed 50% reduction (125-150 miles) - what did you experience?

And I have realized that I need a LOT more experience backing up the trailer - I had a rather humbling time backing it into our space. Considering a backup camera...

Would love to hear others experiences w/towing the basecamp and any pearls of wisdom!

Thanks!
I'll be getting my Basecamp soon. What hitch are you using...trailer newbie and would appreciate some advice...

GEON

First Name
GEON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technology Executive

I needed a new hitch as the other adjustable hitch was sticking up and the tailgate would have dropped right on it.

This hitch - although expensive - is very nice quality and comes with a keyed alike lock for the ball and the receiver. Its rated for 3x the weight of the basecamp. (more than my truck can tow).

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
My wife and have looked at campers for years. We’ve had a couple poptops we pulled across the country when the kids were small. But we decided we’d not use a camper (Airstream or something else) enough to justify the cost, even before we got serious about a Rivian. So we just bought a new tent, screen room, camp chef oven, etc. We have an Aerobed we inflate with the Rivian’s 120 v outlet. And you don’t have to worry about range impacts. 😜
Thinking about this approach. What do you use tent/room wise, oven, etc.? Thanks...much to be said for this approach.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
I evaluated these, they're nice but for the $ the interior is way to much effort to convert around. There are a number of youtube videos and it's like 20 step process to turn the back part into the bed.

At the moment the Conqueror 490 UEV is my favorite. No internal bathroom which is fine by me, more space for other stuff, but I've watched some fully detailed vids on youtube and it looks like the best fit for me. Going to get one and tow it with a Defender until our R1t Max is ready.

Sponsored

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
Sorry for going OT, but for those of you have a Basecamp, did you consider the Bambi? If so, why did you choose Basecamp? TIA.

GR

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Sorry for going OT, but for those of you have a Basecamp, did you consider the Bambi? If so, why did you choose Basecamp? TIA.

GR
I think the aerodynamics and weight are a bit more tow-friendly on the Basecamp than the Bambi. We've looked at both. Despite having an order in on the REI edition Basecamp with the urine diverting composting toilet, I have some concerns (probably will be months before I really have to commit, the toilet seems to be hung up in some regulatory hell); there's been some comment in the Airstream community that quality has slipped since Thor (parent company of Airstream and a bunch of others) has been pushing them asap out to meet pandemic demand. Know someone here with a Canadian-made Escape; very impressive: Home - Escape Trailer worth a look. We are also considering the Light Travel Trailers | The Traveler | Happier Camper . Really like the Laveo in that one Home - Laveo™ By Dry-Flush | The Waterless Toilet .

GEON

First Name
GEON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technology Executive

GR
I picked the basecamp (20x) for the clearance and ability to go off flat surface, the rear hatch and it is just right.

golden_frog

First Name
Golden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Just picked up our Basecamp 20x over the weekend. The R1t pulls it like a dream. I was very surprise how stable the towing was and there wasn't any need for a weight distributing hitch.

I am planning a trip soon and wondered what to expect for real world mileage, I assumed 50% reduction (125-150 miles) - what did you experience?

And I have realized that I need a LOT more experience backing up the trailer - I had a rather humbling time backing it into our space. Considering a backup camera...

Would love to hear others experiences w/towing the basecamp and any pearls of wisdom!

Thanks!
Backing up comes with practice. A large empty space with no spectators would be great.

I bought a 20' pontoon this past May and was also worried about backing up. Most of the advice I read online or got in person wasn't particularly useful, really needed the hands on experience. Now, I just look at the direction of the guide lines in the Rivian backup camera. The car will follow those, and the boat goes the other way.

PVguy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Transit Connect, 2000 VW Golf TDI
Occupation
Retired
Backing up comes with practice. A large empty space with no spectators would be great.

I bought a 20' pontoon this past May and was also worried about backing up. Most of the advice I read online or got in person wasn't particularly useful, really needed the hands on experience. Now, I just look at the direction of the guide lines in the Rivian backup camera. The car will follow those, and the boat goes the other way.
Hopefully I will be taking delivery of an R1T by mid next year. Lately, I have been entertaining notions of taking a few months “off” and dragging a small camp trailer around. Since the R1T is all-electric (did you know that?) and I am a retired photovoltaic contractor, I reckon that the trailer should be also (All-electric, not retired). I currently have a Sun-Lite RD18 and would consider converting it, but it is relatively new and has propane furnace, stove and water heater. The fridge is dual-fuel. So I think that it it best to buy a used unit and convert it. Ideally, I will have a heat pump (not roof-mounted) that will heat, cool and heat water (though this is kinda optional).
Sponsored