Sponsored

Does anyone know what camping trailer this Rivian R1T is pulling? [Updated: Airstream Basecamp]

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

ya…you’re probably right….but when you pull up, there will probably be 7 chargers available and only 1 working…with 3 people in line……so we’re still at an hour☹ Hope not….
Yea, I've seen too many horror stories, this month, on Electrify America. Fingers crossed that it gets better with time.
Sponsored

wreighven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'14 Toyota Tundra 1794 Edition 4x4
Clubs

Yea, I've seen too many horror stories, this month, on Electrify America. Fingers crossed that it gets better with time.
I love the latest OTA that allows you to filter chargers by brand / provider. That should be helpful as some of these providers go through their growing pains.

Looking forward to the network growing up and out over the years; a reliable charging network is definitely something I've enjoyed with my two Tesla's (taken MANY trips in them).

Lawrence-of-Blaine

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6, GMC Envoy, Nissan 350Z
Occupation
Photographer/Artist
Clubs

I’ll be restoring this ‘52 Silver Streak Clipper while I wait for my R1S. NOTHING was more aerodynamic than a Clipper. Give me a few years…this sucker is going to be a project…

Rivian R1T R1S Does anyone know what camping trailer this Rivian R1T is pulling? [Updated: Airstream Basecamp] 27276D7E-F20B-48DB-8AD0-83638402E471

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
They're definitely cool, but they have somewhat limited off road capability. That's the biggest downside. I'm also considering a trailer from Ember RV camper.
I wonder how much of an extra range hit you get on road with that off road tire on the Ember RV

Edit: This one is off road er with battery:

My wife and have looked at campers for years. We’ve had a couple poptops we pulled across the country when the kids were small. But we decided we’d not use a camper (Airstream or something else) enough to justify the cost, even before we got serious about a Rivian. So we just bought a new tent, screen room, camp chef oven, etc. We have an Aerobed we inflate with the Rivian’s 120 v outlet. And you don’t have to worry about range impacts.
I went for R1S partly for the same reason. I still don't know what it would be like to sleep in it but I could bring a tent as a back up plan. A camper is still a consideration but not worrying about charging with a camper, storing it for the 99.9% of the time when I don't use it and keeping my range makes your way of doing things very attractive.

Last edited:

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director

Sponsored

GEON

First Name
GEON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
Technology Executive
I've had a '22 BaseCamp 20X for 10 months now and LOVE it. I've gone on 4 trips with it over 20 nights total. Towed it with my X before it got totaled; installed an upgraded hitch receiver on the X so the hitch weight of 525 lbs wasn't an issue (obviously not a problem in either Rivian). Took delivery of a Model Y Performance in March to tide me over until my R1S arrives so can't tow with it. Currently towing it with my 2014 1794 Edition Tundra (setup in my profile pic). Let me know if y'all have any questions!

Hi - I am about to get a Basecamp 20x, my curt hitch that is adjustable for my trash trailer looks low when the ball is adjusted one way and the frame of the hitch nearly touches the tailgate when its down. Would you mind taking a picture of what hitch you used and the height that worked? I think I need to get a different hitch set up!

Thank you very much!

GEON

wreighven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Hi - I am about to get a Basecamp 20x, my curt hitch that is adjustable for my trash trailer looks low when the ball is adjusted one way and the frame of the hitch nearly touches the tailgate when its down. Would you mind taking a picture of what hitch you used and the height that worked? I think I need to get a different hitch set up!

Thank you very much!

GEON
Yup will do. May take a few days though…

wreighven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

That basecamp looks pretty cool, in a micro kinda way..

One for sale near me. I cant believe that they are worth this much after being 13 years old!
https://denver.craigslist.org/tro/d/englewood-2009-airstream-basecamp/7504465092.html
Just for others' sake, I wanted to clarify that the 2009 model year BaseCamp you linked is a very different animal than the current gen. The current generation ones have a full galley plus a shower / toilet. The previous generation BaseCamps really were more geared to being a toy hauler.

Last edited:

agame32

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Just for others' sake, I wanted to clarify that the 20019 model year BaseCamp you linked is a very different animal than the current gen. The current generation ones have a full galley plus a shower / toilet. The previous generation BaseCamps really were more geared to being a toy hauler.
They also come in either 16’ or 20’ and with or without their off-road package “x” designation, ie Basecamp 16, 16x, 20, and 20x. The Basecamp 20x is what I keep coming back to if I ever splurged on a camper trailer. The combination of features and resale value are my main factors (ie: they’re stupid expensive but hold their value well enough the TCO seems acceptable).

wreighven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

They also come in either 16’ or 20’ and with or without their off-road package “x” designation, ie Basecamp 16, 16x, 20, and 20x. The Basecamp 20x is what I keep coming back to if I ever splurged on a camper trailer. The combination of features and resale value are my main factors (ie: they’re stupid expensive but hold their value well enough the TCO seems acceptable).
Super happy with my 20X…

Sponsored

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
I had a BaseCamp on order back in 2020 but had to let it go since my tow vehicle (R1T) was not going to be delivered in time. Back in the game now having put a deposit down on the REI/Airstream BaseCamp collaboration 2023-REI-Co-op-Special-Edition-Digital-Product-Brochure.pdf (airstream.com) . Back in the day, Airstream suggested buying the SwayPro™ Weight Distribution Hitch - Blue Ox . Being of belt and suspenders inclination, I suppose I'll go with something like that although the R1T does not require that kind of setup for the weight of the BaseCamp.

Open to comment and suggestion...

wreighven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

IMO with an R1T and a BaseCamp 16 there is zero need for a WD / anti-sway hitch. AirStream doesn’t even recommend them for that model, and your tow vehicle will be massively capable of towing such a light trailer (and the tow vehicle will weigh more than twice the trailer).

I’ve towed my 20X (heavier) thousands of miles without a WD / AS system with my Model X (with upgraded hitch receiver) and Tundra with zero issues, and the R1T is much more capable…

GEON

First Name
GEON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
Technology Executive
Super happy with my 20X…
Just picked up our Basecamp 20x over the weekend. The R1t pulls it like a dream. I was very surprise how stable the towing was and there wasn't any need for a weight distributing hitch.

I am planning a trip soon and wondered what to expect for real world mileage, I assumed 50% reduction (125-150 miles) - what did you experience?

And I have realized that I need a LOT more experience backing up the trailer - I had a rather humbling time backing it into our space. Considering a backup camera...

Would love to hear others experiences w/towing the basecamp and any pearls of wisdom!

Thanks!

wreighven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Just picked up our Basecamp 20x over the weekend. The R1t pulls it like a dream. I was very surprise how stable the towing was and there wasn't any need for a weight distributing hitch.

I am planning a trip soon and wondered what to expect for real world mileage, I assumed 50% reduction (125-150 miles) - what did you experience?

And I have realized that I need a LOT more experience backing up the trailer - I had a rather humbling time backing it into our space. Considering a backup camera...

Would love to hear others experiences w/towing the basecamp and any pearls of wisdom!

Thanks!
Personally I don't think you need a backup camera. If you practice it will get easier. As far as the range hit goes, yes a 50% drop is what I experienced on my Model X (and others here towing with the R1T state a similar experience). All Electric Family on YouTube, Insta, and Facebook has great info on their towing experiences with their R1T if you want more details.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things

Thanks!
I don't have a travel trailer but I do have a large enclosed trailer so same deal. Best advice I can give you is learn to drive the trailer not the truck. Once you get in the habit of thinking about what you need the trailer to do it will get much easier to angle yourself and make your trailer go where you want it to. So much so that it becomes as easy as backing up without it. That and make friends with your mirrors, make sure you're driving using mirrors instead of trying to look behind you.
Sponsored