Sponsored

ACDC

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Outback, 2012 Tacoma
Thought this was an informative video... bonus points given for Rivian on cover image :like:

"There’s a lot of talk and information about EV tires. Some of it’s good. Some of it’s wrong. Most of it is somewhere in between. In this video we try to cut through the opinions, hype, and propaganda to provide real, testing-based answers to some of the tough questions surrounding EVs and the tires they use."

Sponsored

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

Thought this was an informative video... bonus points given for Rivian on cover image :like:

"There’s a lot of talk and information about EV tires. Some of it’s good. Some of it’s wrong. Most of it is somewhere in between. In this video we try to cut through the opinions, hype, and propaganda to provide real, testing-based answers to some of the tough questions surrounding EVs and the tires they use."

This is so good. I learned a lot. Now I can choose a tire with a little knowledge aka way more dangerous!

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Of course you need EV specific tires!
For the low price of $550 each...don't buy those $200 tires, please!
Is that supposed to be sarcastic?

That's not what the video says ...

Sponsored

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
I was honestly pleasantly surprised by the quality of the information in this video.

Some may see it as "wishy-washy" because it gives a nuanced evaluation of tires.

And some may not like it because it doesn't give you a direct solution to their question of which tires should they buy.

But to me, it covers all the factors that influence tire choice: Wear, Price, Performance in different conditions; and Efficiency.

For everyone who thinks there should be a black-and-white tire choice, this video will disappoint you.

For those of you who approach the subject as a typical consumer who is willing and able to make tradeoffs to get what you want - this video will lay out all the important points to let you decide for yourself.

The only other comment I would make is that OEM tires are chosen for a specific purpose. In the case of EVs, one of the main reasons for the OEM choice is to maximize the range. Consumers (and EV consumers in particular) buy a vehicle based (in part) on EPA ranges, so a tire that maximizes the EPA range (necessarily at the expense of other variables) is the preferential default tire for the manufacturer. YOUR NEEDS MAY BE DIFFERENT. But if you are focused on efficiency at all costs, then the OEM tire is probably the best choice - that's why it was picked in the first place.

JamuJoe

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 2500, Polestar 2, R1T Max Pack Performance
Occupation
Retired Petroleum Engineer

Thanks for posting. Very informative and balanced. IMHO, Rivian and Pirelli got it right with the 21” Scorpions. As a long time Michelin driver, I was skeptical, but 7300 miles later, through a CO winter and a 3800 mile tow with our 8000 lb travel trailer, I am very satisfied with the Scorpions. Just had them rotated and balanced at Discount Tire (free) and they show minimal wear.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
What we need is a standardized rolling resistance measurement for tires. Ideally, standardized measurements for every other metric as well, but I’ll be happy with just the first for now.

djsider2

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Is it required from a LEGAL point of view? Will my insurance NOT cover any issues I cause if I don't go with "EV" tires?

Sponsored

Gen(R3)Xer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit

This was a great video. I love Tire Rack. I’ve used them for years.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Is it required from a LEGAL point of view? Will my insurance NOT cover any issues I cause if I don't go with "EV" tires?
No not at all.

If anything, I would say that "EV Tires" is a marketing phrase aimed at people who consider efficiency the most important factor in tire selection.

Not that efficiency is bad, but some people have different priorities other than efficiency. If you live in the snowy mountains, and have to drive in those conditions > 6 month of the year, then efficiency might not be the most important factor in your tire choice.

Regardless, watch the video; it's worth your time because it covers all these things.

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

There is no such thing as EV tires, it's a marketing term used for low rolling resistance without any proof or data to support the claim.

Get tires in an appropriate Speed and Load rating, maintain air pressure and rotate on some schedule, same as any other vehicle. EV's are just heavy vehicles for their size.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Will my insurance NOT cover any issues I cause if I don't go with "EV" tires?
That sounds premeditated (j/k). I'm on ATs so efficiency is not my priority. When it comes time to change, I'll only be looking for the base speed/load rating.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
There is no such thing as EV tires, it's a marketing term used for low rolling resistance without any proof or data to support the claim.

Get tires in an appropriate Speed and Load rating, maintain air pressure and rotate on some schedule, same as any other vehicle. EV's are just heavy vehicles for their size.
EV tires are a real thing, it’s not just marketing. Whether or not those real things are important to you are another story (sound insulation, lower rolling resistance, etc).
Sponsored