First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Adventure
Occupation
retired
We just got the car today…. wondering if we should be charging it nightly?
I asked about that when talking to Rivian Support. He said the rule is ABC--Always Be Charging.

someone posted that it's best for battery health.
Sponsored

beckhome09

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver 2022 R1T, Blue 2015 BMW 428i convertible
Occupation
Retired Air Force
Same story here….. two EVs and one charge station. When the charge drops to 30% I charge to 70% during off peak.

Charging is usually once per week per vehicle. Can be more often as needed.

From what I have read charging daily can shorten battery life. Charge as needed.
We only have one EV in my Rivian right now but my wife is looking for a Hybrid BMW X3, so i have a 240v 50 Amp plug installed and purchased the NEO Charge to split the circuit between my Rivian wall charger and the eventual charger for my wife's hybrid.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
On what are you basing this statement? It seems to me the issues are interrelated. I’m no electrical engineer, but The manual clearly states: “Leave the vehicle plugged in IF you don’t plan on driving it for a long time.” Not every day.

454F3752-1939-403B-BED0-EC32BEFE3C6D.jpeg
I think your strongest endorsement for your theory is "I'm no electrical engineer".

Rivian will tell you to plug it in every night and you'll be ready to go in the morning. Just like all other EV manufacturers.

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, Mercedes 350GL, HD CVO Breakout
Occupation
Dentist
Well that sounds great - I stand corrected. And you’re probably not an electrical engineer either. But you found the right piece of guidance, from the proverbial horse’s mouth. That’s good enough for me.

Last edited:

Sponsored

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
And you’re probably not an electrical engineer
True. We really need someone specifically involved with battery chemistry/technologies to help us…….

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
One thing to note in this discussion is that there are numerous battery chemistries employed under the banner "lithium Ion" and used by different manufactures. Examples are LiFePo4 or "LFP", LiNiCoAlO2 or "NCM", LiNiCoAlO2 or "NCA. Our R1's are using NCA for now I believe but RJ has stated that different chemistries will be used in future iterations. Point being that manufactures use different chemistries even within a specific model and these different chemistries have different characteristics on what makes them "happiest".
I'm with @astonius charging everyday to 70% vs. every few days seems to be fine for batt. health. I think the difference in degradation between these two strategies will be negligible. Full disclosure I'm also not an engineer.

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
Use it like a car. "Fill" it up (to whatever percentage you want/need) then drive the thing normally. When it gets low, plug it in. Easy. You don't NEED to leave it plugged in. You don't NEED to keep it below 80%. It's just recommended and pretty easy to follow.

Eight Years
One hundred and seventy five thousand miles
30% degradation

This is Rivian's battery warranty which is more than fair and gives me confidence to use 100% of my battery as often as I want or need.

I currently use 80% as my top up number in my Model 3 LR and would not want to go lower. It's no fun to HAVE to plug in daily because of being concerned about battery health.
Is this the new, "change your oil every 3k"?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Is this the new, "change your oil every 3k"?
From my experience yes YMMV so make your own choices. I would like to hear others actual degradation experience to see if they are similar to mine.

For me in my Model S I do 2 things people say not to do, rarely plug in until I get below 50 miles left on the range and use Superchargers 80%+ of the time simply because they are free and right around the corner from my house. Normal charge is to 80%, 6 years over 60k miles and still have 95% of the range when I purchased the vehicle, I lost around 2% the first year. It has the 18650 batteries in the module.

Aubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Preorder
If you live in an area with hot weather, I believe its advisable to keep it plugged in so the thermal management can kick in using A/c power instead of just going to sleep.

Also drawing maintenance power off A/C instead of the battery is probably better for battery life. But that's just my theory

Sponsored

Tonicart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
We only have one EV in my Rivian right now but my wife is looking for a Hybrid BMW X3, so i have a 240v 50 Amp plug installed and purchased the NEO Charge to split the circuit between my Rivian wall charger and the eventual charger for my wife's hybrid.
Interesting solution. I would have gotten a charger with 2 outputs, like this: https://grizzl-e.com/grizzl-e-duo/

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, Mercedes 350GL, HD CVO Breakout
Occupation
Dentist
After driving my Rivian for a month, so it can learn my driving habits, the fact that I keep my surfboard and bike racks installed, etc. I’ve made a note in my phone of the date and the mileage estimate for conserve mode after a full charge. That way, I can keep an eye on my degradation over time, and see if I need/want to change my charging habits at all.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Question for the group:

Going on a 10 dayish trip out of town soon, likely driving my R1T and leaving it parked for 10 days. The garage that I'm looking at parking it has 6kw chargers at it. On a 10 day sit, the recommendation would be to leave it plugged into one of those chargers right?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Question for the group:

Going on a 10 dayish trip out of town soon, likely driving my R1T and leaving it parked for 10 days. The garage that I'm looking at parking it has 6kw chargers at it. On a 10 day sit, the recommendation would be to leave it plugged into one of those chargers right?
No. It would be rude to occupy a public charger for 10 days.

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
No. It would be rude to occupy a public charger for 10 days.
If it’s in the garage of the parking facility you are paying for assigned spot, it’s probably not “public” in that sense.
Sponsored