Sponsored

Do you charge the R1T every night?

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

You can if you might need the charge the next day. Otherwise, you can always wait until the battery drops near 20% before charging. As my R1T is currently sharing a charger with a Model X, I will not be charging mine every night. I can probably get away with charging it to 70% once or twice a week.

rivianUGA

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon
Someone might can better confirm. But when we got our wall charger installed I talked to my neighbor that has a Tesla and he told me he charges his to 70% every night. That he was told this is the best thing for the long term health of the battery. Again though....this is what one person told me. So maybe some others will chime in that might know the science a little bit.

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

You can if you might need the charge the next day. Otherwise, you can always wait until the battery drops near 20% before charging. As my R1T is currently sharing a charger with a Model X, I will not be charging mine every night. I can probably get away with charging it to 70% once or twice a week.
Same story here….. two EVs and one charge station. When the charge drops to 30% I charge to 70% during off peak.

Charging is usually once per week per vehicle. Can be more often as needed.

From what I have read charging daily can shorten battery life. Charge as needed.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

How much do you drive daily????average

Sponsored

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
From what I have read charging daily can shorten battery life. Charge as needed.
Interesting - I swear that the Rivian manual recommended keeping it charged (to 70%) whenever possible to prolong battery life. I’ll have to go look at it again because I’ve been doing that and don’t want to impair my battery’s life.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

How much do you drive daily????average
Probably only about 20 miles per day.

My charging frequency will go up in winter however because we get some pretty brutal low temps in Wisconsin.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Interesting - I swear that the Rivian manual recommended keeping it charged (to 70%) whenever possible to prolong battery life. I’ll have to go look at it again because I’ve been doing that and don’t want to impair my battery’s life.
Rivian R1T R1S Do you charge the R1T every night? Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 5.04.57 PM

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Different people will have different responses.

I’ve had a Tesla Model S for over 6 years, normal daily driving is 40 or 50 miles. I usually charge to 80% every 2 or 3 days unless I am planning on a longer drive. Seems to be fine fore the health of my battery.

If I’m going out of town and leaving the car at home I will charge to 70% or 80% before I leave. A lot of people like to keep them plugged in but I rarely do that.

Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Probably only about 20 miles per day.

My charging frequency will go up in winter however because we get some pretty brutal low temps in Wisconsin.
Just keep pack somewhere between 50-70%....

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
ABC
Always be connected or charging
I have to share a Tesla wall connector right now but have another 60amp in the garage waiting for my Rivian wall connector.
That is what people say but in reality from my experience, not that many people plug in every day. Only one person I know with an EV charges nightly.

That cannot be a requirement if the plan is to have mass adoption from ICE to EV. It is just not going to be feasible now or in the near term future to expect people in apartments or condos with no garages to be able to plug in whenever they are home.

Taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S
Agree, i tend to ABC but in reality it's mostly just plugged in at night since we're in and out a few times during the day.

Last edited:

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

I interpreted that second to last bullet point to mean that you should leave your truck plugged in to the Rivian charger whenever possible. As a result, I have my trucked plugged in at all times when I’m home and have charging capped at 70%.
I interpreted that to mean you should use Level 2 charging whenever possible, as opposed to Level 3. 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored