OP
OP
duessell

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
Just finished my go with 1x 4x8 sheet of HPDE from Menards and four aluminum braces for sag support. I had to cut extender strips for each side and just used rivets to attach those to the center piece. Then used self tappers to go into the 4’ aluminum bars that run across it. One coat of flat black paint. It’s pretty darn sturdy and I went down interstate at 85 and there no wobbles or noise. Super light, I can pick it up and slide it in/out easily on my own. Should do for now till Riv comes through with tonneau v2.0.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
That looks nice. Looks like you cut the ends of the rails to be able to slide it in. I'm not 100% ready to commit to that yet.
Sponsored

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt - R1T on preorder
Occupation
enjoying life
Upper 5 digit priced truck and people having to figure out how to make their own tonneau's. Please some after market company get this figured out. I don't even want to spend $1,800 for the manual cover because of how inferior it is.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
IMO, the marine grade plywood is the simplest, strongest, best solution. It's made with waterproof glue so no problem getting wet, but it still needs to be painted or varnished because the wood is not rot-proof.

OP
OP
duessell

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The more I think about this, the more I want a topper.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Upper 5 digit priced truck and people having to figure out how to make their own tonneau's. Please some after market company get this figured out. I don't even want to spend $1,800 for the manual cover because of how inferior it is.
Well, we don’t actually know what it is yet. No one has actually seen it. We only know that it might be 4 interlocking aluminum panels, essentially a wider version of the auto cover panels that slide in the same side rails the auto cover does and may or may not come in a bag that can be stored in the gear tunnel. There is also a rumor the panels might attach to the front wall of the bed when not in use. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I’m not sure what else the aftermarket might design that would be much different? Carbon fiber panels?

I would also probably go with no tonneau except the bed will not even come with the rails if you do that. So manual it is….

Reactions: VSG

Sponsored

OP
OP
duessell

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yup. It’s like they didn’t test the tonneau at all. Wtf.
I seem to recall others on this forum hypothesize that they had a bad contract with the power tonneau supplier.

sandsk8erz400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
So I took delivery of my truck 2 days ago and had the no tonneau option, I've seen posts of people talking about having to cut open the back slot if they made some sort of manual DIY tonneau cover. But I haven't seen anyone mention of their truck already having the back slide rails of their tonneau already open to allow for it. Here are a few pics of mine showing the opening.
Rivian R1T R1S DIY temporary tonneau / bed cover? Riv2

Rivian R1T R1S DIY temporary tonneau / bed cover? Riv1

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Thank you @sandsk8erz400 !

OT.. is that a Volt in the background? Very unique rims... I still have a set of 4 sitting in my yard from my 2014 Volt.

sandsk8erz400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Just noticed how terrible those pics are with everything still all wet, sorry about that guys, I can take some better ones tomorrow when the rain lets up, but I can confirm all the trim pieces back there are a smooth factory finish, it's not like the service center just hacked it open haha.

That it is Rob, good eye, it's a 2013 premier which was the first car that started the EV transition for us. Stock rims for that trim/year.

Sponsored

Ogryry

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Where does the water go? Are there drain holes somewhere in the channel for the tonneau? In order for things to stay (at least somewhat) dry, if not 1 piece the individual panels would have to have some sort of interlocking lip on them. I’m picturing something like the hatch hinge on my teardrop trailer. So when the panels were removed you’d pull them back u til clear of the bed rails then sideways to disconnect from adjoining panels.

I’m picturing a thin honeycomb panel as the lightest and most durable option. With that said, my ideal setup would be a slide out cargo box that completely clears the tonneau. My kitchen slide out would be built into that and would pull to the side. That way tonneau could be 1 piece making weatherproofing much simpler. I just pondered this approach and am not sure how it would be anchored to the bed considering the supplied anchor points are up high. I want to do this out of extruded aluminum.

OP
OP
duessell

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Even other systems fail sometimes.

Rivian R1T R1S DIY temporary tonneau / bed cover? PXL_20221210_000115618

HB1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Hi, just got my R1T and it had no cover at all. Here is what I did:
Bought a 228 dollar Ford Maverick cover off Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B3MGFX2Z?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details. You need to modify install a bit,
You use the cover "tunnel" to mount/slide the brackets into and screw down the cover.
Replace the included wing screws (they are too wide for Rivian side plastic mold) with M6 nuts.
I flipped the included brackets upside down to get tighter grip
The back locking bolts won't work because they hit the plastic side of the Rivian bed, so I bought two heavy duty Bungy cords that locks the back. works like a charm.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Hi, just got my R1T and it had no cover at all. Here is what I did:
Bought a 228 dollar Ford Maverick cover off Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B3MGFX2Z?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details. You need to modify install a bit,
You use the cover "tunnel" to mount/slide the brackets into and screw down the cover.
Replace the included wing screws (they are too wide for Rivian side plastic mold) with M6 nuts.
I flipped the included brackets upside down to get tighter grip
The back locking bolts won't work because they hit the plastic side of the Rivian bed, so I bought two heavy duty Bungy cords that locks the back. works like a charm.
Thanks for sharing - any chance you can post a photo of the result?

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Service center told me they saw manual tonneaus in the production line in Normal. They would not take another stab at getting my tonneau into a 'closed' position since the last attempt broke during install. Urgh.

Rivian R1T R1S DIY temporary tonneau / bed cover? IMG_8174

Here we go. I'll post the results if I am not too embarassed lol
Sponsored