Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

One of the problems of existing tonneaus is that most assume they can mount to the *top* of the bed rails - the Rivian has the crossbar mounts, gear tunnel buttons, tailgate button there.
Sponsored

OP
OP
duessell

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
What about PVC siding that is used on homes? I think that has a tongue and groove to help with interlocking the panels...
PVC siding is thin and flimsy but PVC trim board like this could work. Unfortunately, I don't have a good way of cutting this to size.
Rivian R1T R1S DIY temporary tonneau / bed cover? 1669037322898

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

PVC siding is thin and flimsy but PVC trim board like this could work. Unfortunately, I don't have a good way of cutting this to size.
1669037322898.png
This stuff cuts very easy with a table saw or circular saw. I just used a product like this from HD for staircase risers. No need to paint it, ever 😂

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Yeah, you guys could pick a lot nicer materials.
Criteria #1 -Don't want to spend a lot. A lot is subjective, but I took that to be as little as possible and certainly less than $100.

I have a working cover so I'm just here as an instigator.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Sponsored

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
Clubs

Criteria #1 -Don't want to spend a lot. A lot is subjective, but I took that to be as little as possible and certainly less than $100.

I have a working cover so I'm just here as an instigator.
This is particularly favorable for those who have opted for a manual tonneau cover and don’t expect Rivian to deliver on on their indicated timeline.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I will probably be rigging something up like this in December, likely just the plywood route, painted black. Missing that covered storage while skiing, and we've got an ice climbing/skiing trip towards the end of the year that we would definitely like to have some more protected space for. I'll post some pictures if I am not too embarassed of the final result.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
1669037322898.png
That's actually perfect. Most Lowes have a big panel cutting saw in the lumber department. I think they are only supposed to give you 1 cut, but if you're nice to them most will do more. Especially if it's just 1 panel.

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Here's mine. It's just an old piece of wood paneling we had out in the shop that happened to be the right size. To slide the panel into the rails, I took a hacksaw to the plastic end-tabs at the tailgate and cut out a rectangle section. This also lets me slide in the end panel of the original tonneau. I had a can of camo-green paint that is a close match to Launch Green that I used to paint the dark wood-colored panel. The black panel at the back is the original end panel of the Rivian tonneau and acts a good support for the wood panel piece. Going into winter, I had to do something to seal up the bed.
Rivian R1T R1S DIY temporary tonneau / bed cover? 1669056816805

Sponsored

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
Clubs

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
Clubs

That's actually perfect. Most Lowes have a big panel cutting saw in the lumber department. I think they are only supposed to give you 1 cut, but if you're nice to them most will do more. Especially if it's just 1 panel.
You get 1 cut for free, and then a small fee for each cut thereafter. Now, I don't know if they will cut PVC trim, as it makes a HUGE mess.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
You get 1 cut for free, and then a small fee for each cut thereafter. Now, I don't know if they will cut PVC trim, as it makes a HUGE mess.
They don't like to do it, but I've gotten them to cut FRP panels for me in the past. It is a freakin mess for sure!

NooterIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
was a 2019 Ram
Occupation
IT Stuff
I stopped by Menards today to look at the HDPE panels and they'd no doubt work for this. I'd probably just do 3x panels with maybe weather stripping between each panel. I was moments from buying it and the thought crossed my mind, this truck cost more than my first house and here I am trying to do a homemade tonneau cover....wtf. Anyway, I left without buying it along with a recharged anger for this tonneau situation as a whole.
Sponsored