First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Just thought I would share. With all of the posts about dead batteries I was thinking I do not normally carry a Torx 20/25 in my pocket and having it inside the vehicle would not make it accessible.

My crude solution, I took a piece of 2x4, cut it 7” long by 2 inches wide. Picked up a multi bit driver that had the prober bits, needed to be max 6 inches long, I used this one. Hollowed out the middle of the 2x4 so the bits and driver in a ziplock bag fit inside. Fits snuggly in the receiver for the hitch, used a zip tie for extra security. I added the blade and Phillips bit into the bag as well.

Like insurance I hope to never need to use it but I thought better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Edit, found I needed a 10 mm socket as well, took the opportunity to change the set, here are the newer pictures. Using a1/4 inch ratchet, extension, 1/4 inch sockets, 10 mm socket, various bits including the T20/T25 torx bits. All fit in the block and allows me to use the hitch pin to secure, easier to get in and out. Take note, the hitch pin for the R1S needs to be longer, I’m using one that is 5/8“ for a 2.5 inch receiver.

New pictures.

Rivian R1T R1S DIY solution for storing Torx 20/25 just in case -- in trailer hitch C7D8C148-AC2D-4F48-BA9D-E8F10BFE0A19
Rivian R1T R1S DIY solution for storing Torx 20/25 just in case -- in trailer hitch 4811B759-E587-488F-A58B-A48D9177F500
Rivian R1T R1S DIY solution for storing Torx 20/25 just in case -- in trailer hitch B5FF31AD-75E3-468C-8D34-473027EE5F27
Rivian R1T R1S DIY solution for storing Torx 20/25 just in case -- in trailer hitch 43037269-B324-4759-B7C1-EACCF4F7435C
Sponsored

Last edited:

centexR1S

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, Tundra, CR-5
Occupation
Retired
Just thought I would share. With all of the posts about dead batteries I was thinking I do not normally carry a Torx 20/25 in my pocket and having it inside the vehicle would not make it accessible.

My crude solution, I took a piece of 2x4, cut it 7” long by 2 inches wide. Picked up a multi bit driver that had the prober bits, needed to be max 6 inches long, I used this one. Hollowed out the middle of the 2x4 so the bits and driver in a ziplock bag fit inside. Fits snuggly in the receiver for the hitch, used a zip tie for extra security. I added the blade and Phillips bit into the bag as well.

Like insurance I hope to never need to use it but I thought better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

View attachment 47789 View attachment 47793 View attachment 47794 View attachment 47795
Brilliant. Sharing good ideas is what is great about this forum.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Great idea!

Sattman69

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘19 4Runner Limited, toytec lift & power brakes
Occupation
Consult/Project Manager

View attachment 47789 View attachment 47793 View attachment 47794 View attachment 47795
Brilliant!

Sponsored

Sattman69

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘19 4Runner Limited, toytec lift & power brakes
Occupation
Consult/Project Manager

KyleJJ06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Blue R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I have something similar but with a small finger driver. Mainly wanted something that I could squeeze between the tire and wheel liner to remove the torx in case I need to manually pop the hood. Not sure if you can get a screwdriver in there, but I’ve never tried. Maybe?

Last edited:

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
At first, I was thinking “why not just under the rear seat?” … then oh, oh yeah.

This is genius. Thanks for sharing!

ElCapiTan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mustang
Occupation
Computer Janitor
Great idea and thanks for sharing but am I the only one thinking OP "Yada Yada'd" over the important part...

Hollowing out the 2 x 4.

Reactions: Jnz

Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Great idea! I wonder if something like this might work for the lazy among us (bonus: lockable). Would need a smaller tool (like a folding multitool with Torx bits). Amazon.com: HitchSafe HS7000 Key Vault

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
I'm so torn on this thread. My first thought is great idea, then Oh, why do we need to think this way for this truck?

Comon Rivian, we gotta do better

That said I had a ratchet with a 10 mil deep socket and an extra CPS for my OBS Ford F250 for the cases when the CPS decided to die on you. But I could get inside the truck to get it

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
I'm so torn on this thread. My first thought is great idea, then Oh, why do we need to think this way for this truck?

Comon Rivian, we gotta do better

That said I had a ratchet with a 10 mil deep socket and an extra CPS for my OBS Ford F250 for the cases when the CPS decided to die on you. But I could get inside the truck to get it
I agree with you on that, and I felt the same way about my Mach E. The 2021s had widespread 12v issues that didn’t get figured out until sometime in 2022. Most EV designs suffer from the same issue - small 12v AGM batteries combined with electric door handles. I’m sure hoping Rivian can figure it out too…and let me buy a spare tire while they’re at it!

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Great idea! I wonder if something like this might work for the lazy among us (bonus: lockable). Would need a smaller tool (like a folding multitool with Torx bits). Amazon.com: HitchSafe HS7000 Key Vault
This exactly what i was thinking when I saw OPs post. Might be a dumb idea, but would also be a place for a key card (with instructions rubbed off). While I love my phone as a key exclusively I have been nervous if something happens to it (dead battery, stops working, etc.) with no backup plan. Like with traditional electronic keys, if it fails you can pull out a physical key and get in.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Sorry for duplicate, Kyle posted hitchsafe above.

Rivian R1T R1S DIY solution for storing Torx 20/25 just in case -- in trailer hitch 1679707875537
Sponsored