Sponsored

Diminished real range 14 months in

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
That added detail helps. Without it I thought you maybe thought the batteries were breaking in or something....
Now that you mention it, I am sure it increases a bit after the first 1k miles. May be just a few miles, but should increase once all bearings and seals have loosened a bit.
Sponsored

tiltedandsaltyaf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

speed generally kills your range

Pushing air around actually takes up about 40% of a car's energy at highway speeds. Traveling faster makes the job even harder...The increase is actually exponential, meaning wind resistance rises much more steeply between 70 and 80 mph than it does between 50 and 60.

hard to say how much your battery degraded based on your general usage, especially if you were traveling faster/slower this time vs last time even if all other variables were consistent

NC-Rivian

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver R1T
Occupation
Sales
Another thing to consider is how tire wear affects range. The Tesla folks find that range goes down when new tires are installed and then range increases as the tires wear down.

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
someone on here posted that Rivian can test your battery remotely if you think it is degraded. I would create a ticket.

from his reply

I recently chatted rivian about this, on the chat they told me they didn't know, but I got a call back today and apparently they can check it remotely. They let me know my HV battery is at 100% health, my 12v are at 90% and 91%. I took delivery in July and have about 18k miles. If it is truly 100% that is pretty sweet. Tough to know how to interpret it with how little community data we have though.

Tahoe Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Some home chargers will let you see the amount of energy delivered per charge. They will have a history of it too. There's internal losses as it gets rectified etc etc but if you took it down to a certain percentage before in the past, you might be able to replicate that and see what the delivered energy is and compare it.

Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I have about 9k miles on my R1T after the 14 months I've owned it. Mostly local driving on 20" AT. Have always had the latest updates.
It's been charged to 100% a dozen times but most other times to 70 or 80. I only charge about once every 10 days or so.
Every single one of my charges has been on my 48A home charger. I never charge outside the house.
My range estimate shows ~309 miles in conserve but my real world is lower than that by a lot as it turns out.

I did an all-highway drive in conserve mode from Irvine to Escondido and back through Temecula with a few other detours in light traffic at 65F the other day and ran the car from 100% to 0% and only got 229 miles of range. That included some city driving but most (200+) highway miles. The drive in question has a few moderate climbs but I was expecting to get closer to 270 miles out of it. I literally let the car hit zero but doing a few turns around the neighborhood at the end before charging. I also had my AC at 72 the whole way but it wasn't doing much of a struggle to keep it steady.

Has anyone else with 1yr+ ownership seen diminished range numbers like this?
I have a service appointment scheduled to check the health of the battery next week and will update everyone here.

On the plus side, the highway assist feature seems to work a lot better than it did a year ago.
This is about as unscientific as it gets and you should not use your experience here to draw any conclusions about battery depreciation. Among other things, the rated range is for mixed city/highway driving with climate off; highway miles (assuming 65+ mph) will be less efficient, especially with elevation changes.

For a counter anecdote - I've had my truck for 12 months and 18,000 miles. On Sunday, I drove 291 miles on one charge, mostly in all-purpose, all highway driving, with one mountain pass (climb/descend with a net -3000 feet across the whole drive), and plenty of 75+ mph driving. I left Sisters, OR with 100% and arrived at the charger in Lacey, WA with 5% range remaining. (The 291 miles includes a few errands and detours for broken chargers along the way - I originally planned to stop in Kelso or Chehalis but pushed through to Lacey).

That's significantly higher than my rated range (20" ATs in All Purpose), likely a mix of tailwinds, elevation changes, etc.

Anecdotes are not data.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
@trez63 the easiest decently accurate way to check battery degradation is to run it o zero % SOC then full charge to 100% SOC and see how many KWH the car says it took on. A new battery with the latest software update should be seeing close to 130KWH (unofficial educated guess). You will need to go buy what the car says not the charger output due to charging efficiency loss.
Don't conflate range loss with battery degradation, not saying you are. Battery degradation is only one component of range loss which we know has tons of factors.
Anecdotally I am with you in that I would expect more than 220 miles in those conditions as well. How is your tire pressure?

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1S LE; '18 Model 3 LR
Occupation
Law
This is about as unscientific as it gets and you should not use your experience here to draw any conclusions about battery depreciation. Among other things, the rated range is for mixed city/highway driving with climate off; highway miles (assuming 65+ mph) will be less efficient, especially with elevation changes.

For a counter anecdote - I've had my truck for 12 months and 18,000 miles. On Sunday, I drove 291 miles on one charge, mostly in all-purpose, all highway driving, with one mountain pass (climb/descend with a net -3000 feet across the whole drive), and plenty of 75+ mph driving. I left Sisters, OR with 100% and arrived at the charger in Lacey, WA with 5% range remaining. (The 291 miles includes a few errands and detours for broken chargers along the way - I originally planned to stop in Kelso or Chehalis but pushed through to Lacey).

That's significantly higher than my rated range (20" ATs in All Purpose), likely a mix of tailwinds, elevation changes, etc.

Anecdotes are not data.
I, too, am shocked and offended that OP failed to conduct a scientific study with a sample size of at least 500 trips that carefully controlled for weather, season, traffic conditions, elevation, geography, terrain, and the orbits of the planets before soliciting input from this forum! Amateurs, am I right?! ;)

OP
OP
trez63

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Gladiator, Porsche GT4, and a bunch of bikes
Clubs

I, too, am shocked and offended that OP failed to conduct a scientific study with a sample size of at least 500 trips that carefully controlled for weather, season, traffic conditions, elevation, geography, terrain, and the orbits of the planets before soliciting input from this forum! Amateurs, am I right?! ;)
LoL. I probably shouldn’t have made all those scientific claims in my original post.
I may have to retract my paper from the annals of scientific studies on battery degradation.

All jokes aside, I hear what everyone here is saying, but, even with this very unscientific measure, I would still expect higher than 229 range on conserve mode.I did expect this response but decided to post anyway given the 60+ mile range discrepancy couldn’t be explained with any of the above suggestions. Those are at best 10-20 mile differentiators.

But since it has come up a dozen times, my tire pressure is 49psi all around. (Edit: Oops I was closer to 45 on the rear. )
my speed did vary between 60 to 75 or so but I may have had a few minutes at 80.
it’s important to mention That when I started the trip I didn’t intend to make any scientific measurements, but in the end, when I hit 0% I checked the odo and I had done 229 miles which was a big surprise because I expected closer to 260-270
My 80% range this morning said 256 which is in liwith a 320 total range.

so my stated range hasn’t suffered. My real life seems to have. But it’s not definitive obviously as I need to do a more controlled test on flatter roads to be sure.
I’ll ask RIVIAN about the remote battery health check for sure. Thank you for that suggestion.

Last edited:

Sponsored

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

I have about 9k miles on my R1T after the 14 months I've owned it. Mostly local driving on 20" AT. Have always had the latest updates.
It's been charged to 100% a dozen times but most other times to 70 or 80. I only charge about once every 10 days or so.
Every single one of my charges has been on my 48A home charger. I never charge outside the house.
My range estimate shows ~309 miles in conserve but my real world is lower than that by a lot as it turns out.

I did an all-highway drive in conserve mode from Irvine to Escondido and back through Temecula with a few other detours in light traffic at 65F the other day and ran the car from 100% to 0% and only got 229 miles of range. That included some city driving but most (200+) highway miles. The drive in question has a few moderate climbs but I was expecting to get closer to 270 miles out of it. I literally let the car hit zero but doing a few turns around the neighborhood at the end before charging. I also had my AC at 72 the whole way but it wasn't doing much of a struggle to keep it steady.

I have a service appointment scheduled to check the health of the battery next week and will update everyone here.

On the plus side, the highway assist feature seems to work a lot better than it did a year ago.
How fast were you driving on the highway? Highway driving will result in the lowest range and the best range will be achieved in city driving. Other factors can affect range as well such as winds and rain will significantly reduce it. The AT tires will also reduce your range significantly vs the 21" road setup. I would say 229 miles mostly highway with AT wheel/tire setup is not all that bad at all. What was your efficiency reading?

With that said it is normal to have some degradation after the first year. The largest part of that usually occurs in the first year of driving then tapers off. I wouldn't worry so much about degradation. If you really want to measure degradation mileage isn't going to really tell you the story. You need to know the usable capacity of the battery when new (doesn't anyone know how much buffer Rivian puts on the top and bottom of the battery?). Then you need to charge to 100% and run it down to 0%. See how much it says you consumed in kwh. Then charge back up to 100% and see how many kwh you can put back into the battery. That will give you a pretty good idea of where you stand.

If R1T has a usable capacity of 128kwh and your average efficiency is 2 mi per kw hour you would get 256 miles of range if you ran it completely flat. My road trip back from FL to MD with 21" road setup I was averaging between 1.8 and 2.3 mi per kwh in conserve mode.

OP
OP
trez63

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Gladiator, Porsche GT4, and a bunch of bikes
Clubs

Good news!
I have an update.
I checked my tire pressure today and I was wrong, apparently it was a bit low on all 4.
I aired up, and reset the stats and also did a hard reset. Today I did a 55 mile drive and I was only off the estimate by about 3%. So much much closer that before. I think even a slightly underaired tire will cause a pretty steep drop. That and I think the reset may have helped. So I believe all is well.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
LoL. I probably shouldn’t have made all those scientific claims in my original post.
I may have to retract my paper from the annals of scientific studies on battery degradation.

All jokes aside, I hear what everyone here is saying, but, even with this very unscientific measure, I would still expect higher than 229 range on conserve mode.I did expect this response but decided to post anyway given the 60+ mile range discrepancy couldn’t be explained with any of the above suggestions. Those are at best 10-20 mile differentiators.

But since it has come up a dozen times, my tire pressure is 49psi all around. (Edit: Oops I was closer to 45 on the rear. )
my speed did vary between 60 to 75 or so but I may have had a few minutes at 80.
it’s important to mention That when I started the trip I didn’t intend to make any scientific measurements, but in the end, when I hit 0% I checked the odo and I had done 229 miles which was a big surprise because I expected closer to 260-270
My 80% range this morning said 256 which is in liwith a 320 total range.

so my stated range hasn’t suffered. My real life seems to have. But it’s not definitive obviously as I need to do a more controlled test on flatter roads to be sure.
I’ll ask RIVIAN about the remote battery health check for sure. Thank you for that suggestion.
Check your alignment if your energy consumption is consistently high too.

Rivianation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Manager
. . .
. . .
"Diminished range" = "battery degradation". How do you know your battery is degraded if you don't list the exact same test results when the truck was new for comparison? Is this your gut feel?
Sponsored