Sponsored

Cracked Windshield

jffkm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3
Well that was quick. Got a 2nd chip in the windshield. An oncoming car going 30 to 40 kicked up a small pebble. Wasn't loud at all! So shocked that little thing did damage.

Sigh.... Going to repair it myself this time
same thing just happened. sand from the back of a truck, sounded like rain (very small pieces) and then I realized it was causing a bunch of small chips all over the windshield. really surprised that they caused the cracks. anyone have recommended products for repairing?
Sponsored

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
same thing just happened. sand from the back of a truck, sounded like rain (very small pieces) and then I realized it was causing a bunch of small chips all over the windshield. really surprised that they caused the cracks. anyone have recommended products for repairing?
I bought one of those 1 time use kits at a local auto parts store, but recently saw someone reccomend a kit off Amazon you can use multiple times.

JamesPolk24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Well that was quick. Got a 2nd chip in the windshield. An oncoming car going 30 to 40 kicked up a small pebble. Wasn't loud at all! So shocked that little thing did damage.

Sigh.... Going to repair it myself this time
It's been determined by forum users that Rivian uses cheap Fuyao Glass that is very fragile. Almost any rock size will take it out.

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (broken), 20"], 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

I purchase the resin on Amazon and have it on hand for cracks. Even have a couple bottles in the trailer. I'm a firm believer that if it ain't a big old crack, you need to get that resin in there as soon as possible and try to salvage the windshield. In my experience they're never the same noise wise once their field replaced...

So get yourself some resin and dump it in the crack so it don't spread...
Which brand/kit do you buy? It seems that every one I've seen on Amazon has reviews from some other product, so the reviews/ratings are worthless.

Sponsored

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

I wouldn't trust any seller on Amazon that switches between one product and another. A lot of the reviews on this windshield repair product are for a weight bench.
Wow that's a bummer. I hate that about Amazon.

Lawrence-of-Blaine

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6, GMC Envoy, Nissan 350Z
Occupation
Photographer/Artist
Clubs

I have friends with a Hyundai that gets cracked windshields all the time. Apparently the replacement glass is rare and super expensive. Hope that won’t be the case for us.
Already is.

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

I doubt that the increase is from the windshield. Most insurance companies have gotten the cost analysis on the Rivian, and they were are given a IRQ (I think it means Insurance Replacement Quotient) score that was too low. So this is basically "market adjustment".
But frequent and really expensive windshield replacements will factor in, causing the insurance on Rivians to become more expensive (i.e. it will factor into the "market adjustment").
I am very disappointed in Rivian's choice of windshield glass, and I sure hope that they switch to better glass.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
I had Met Life auto when I caught a rock in the Tacoma. Met Life auto was purchased by Farmers. Safelite was their installer of choice, but I was able to tell the insurance company I wanted Toyota original glass due to GoPro mount, etc.

"Not a problem." Took about a week for the glass to arrive at the local Safelite. Installation was in my driveway. Took a couple of hours, but was indistinguishable from new.

I'm hoping that I won't need a windshield prior to Rivian being common enough to make this kind of relationship possible.

Sponsored

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

I used this one. I think the plunger action is key. I saw bubbles getting sucked out with negative pressure, then saw it fill in the cracks better with positive pressure.
https://a.co/d/dyxXuML
The Amazon reviews on that product reference (along with windshield repair) "Chug Jugs" and maybe other stuff, too. The seller is obviously trying to hide something by pulling this kind of switch.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

The Amazon reviews on that product reference (along with windshield repair) "Chug Jugs" and maybe other stuff, too. The seller is obviously trying to hide something by pulling this kind of switch.
That's hilarious, I never noticed! They switched the product to keep good reviews, that's shady. But hey, it worked well for me!

I also noticed this interesting description:
"Easy Operation Quick Repair : Women can also easily use it to repair cars"

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

I just checked with Safelite, locally - they say it's $2024 to replace the windshield (parts and labor), but that doesn't include recalibration. Yikes.
P.S. I think they said it was 1 to 2 hours to replace it (again, not including the recalibration).
P.P.S. In the email they sent, the price is $1845, as opposed to what I saw on screen using their website. That's still too much (especially since it doesn't include calibration).
I hope that over time better and less expensive options will be available. But hope isn't much to base a purchase on. If there was currently competition in the BEV truck market, I would certainly take this into account.

Last edited:

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I just checked with Safelite, locally - they say it's $2024 to replace the windshield (parts and labor), but that doesn't include recalibration. Yikes.
P.S. I think they said it was 1 to 2 hours to replace it (again, not including the recalibration).
Rivian is less and includes calibration. Of course, you have to pay out of pocket and submit a claim. I've been waiting a month from USAA and keep being told "we process invoices in the order that are received."

grantsi

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 45e, Porsche Cayenne
862 in miles into my R1S life and I took a rock this morning heading to work - 3/4" "bullet hole" with spidering - just sent my guide a note to see what the current Rivian recommendation is but it feels like it will be a hefty commuting charge

Rivian R1T R1S Cracked Windshield 2E7CF8A8-F093-42DA-A17E-A4B3966FD497
Sponsored