Sponsored

Cracked Windshield

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
The issue is not living near a service center. Assuming you are near a service center this is not a big deal right now.

When my 2014 Model S needed a new windshield early on it had to got to service because they had to recalibrate the sensors and I wanted the right glass. But now lots of the windshield replacement companies can do this so it's not a big deal.

That will be the same with Rivian in a year or so. they just need time to get up to speed on Rivian products and be able to work with the insurance companies on them.
Sponsored

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

Went out on a road trip and thought I heard a rock hit the glass but couldn’t see it
Then hours later heard a loud crack sound and it turned out to be a large one that popped up. Rock struck almost at the top of the glass.
It looking forward to the 1800 I keep seeing here…
Also know cracks can be random, but it seemed more like a glancing hit that just scraped the glass - not a deeper hit. Can see the white marks in glass, but no pop.
not sure if it was this thread from the quick read through or another questioning the overall quality of manufacturer

Aardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3
Anybody used Exoshield or something similar on windshields before? Wonder how that would work...
After replacing the windshield on my Tesla Model 3, I had Exoshield applied. As far as protection goes, it did the job here in Colorado absorbing the impacts of multiple pebbles. But, in less than 2 years, the Exoshield delaminated making a number of quarter size bubbles across the windshield and severely degrading visibility.
The company that installed it said that the delam wasn't covered by warranty and actually wanted $150 to remove the coating. By heating the windshield with max defrost, and using a razor blade and a lot of patience, I got it off in about an hour.
I won't go back to Exoshield.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
After replacing the windshield on my Tesla Model 3, I had Exoshield applied. As far as protection goes, it did the job here in Colorado absorbing the impacts of multiple pebbles. But, in less than 2 years, the Exoshield delaminated making a number of quarter sizebubbles across the wwindshield and severely degrading visibility.
The company that installed it said that the delam wasn't covered by warranty and actually wanted $150 to remove the coating. By heating the windshield with max defrost, and using a razor blade and a lot of patience, I got it off in about an hour.
I won't go back to Exoshield.
Thanks for posting. Guess I’ll stay away from that then.

acacia328

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ram Limited, 2010 Ford F-150 Platinum, Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
I’ve had two cracked windshields in 5 months. Really hoping this pace doesn’t continue. Maybe windshield #3 will be lucky

Sponsored

Inthedmv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3, Launch Green R1T
My windshield caught a couple of rocks from an a$$hole in a dumptruck. Big starburst with a 3" and a 4" crack before I could even stop to get some resin. Rivians are not even in Safelite's system and GEICO couldn't even give me an estimate for what they would pay. Rivian certainly would, and it is $1739.08. That includes 3.1 hours of labor for $620. GEICO told me they will only pay $40/hr for labor. It is going to be interesting to see how this shakes out.

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Toyota FJ, R1S Quad Large Pack Feb 2023
I purchase the resin on Amazon and have it on hand for cracks. Even have a couple bottles in the trailer. I'm a firm believer that if it ain't a big old crack, you need to get that resin in there as soon as possible and try to salvage the windshield. In my experience they're never the same noise wise once their field replaced...

So get yourself some resin and dump it in the crack so it don't spread...
Would you please share a link to the resin you buy on Amazon?

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
Thank you to this post! Because of it I added glass and windshield coverage on my auto insurance policy. Last night I got a small crack during my road trip. No idea if it was a rock or the million of bugs I killed on my ride

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
Thank you to this post! Because of it I added glass and windshield coverage on my auto insurance policy. Last night I got a small crack during my road trip. No idea if it was a rock or the million of bugs I killed on my ride
Well that was quick. Got a 2nd chip in the windshield. An oncoming car going 30 to 40 kicked up a small pebble. Wasn't loud at all! So shocked that little thing did damage.

Sigh.... Going to repair it myself this time

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Sigh.... Going to repair it myself this time
I caught a big rock a couple days before taking mine in for service. I thought I got lucky but later found damage down in the black part at the bottom of the windshield, so I got to test the DIY repair kit I bought on a whim. It worked out great! I'm surprised how easy and effective they are.

Sponsored

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
^ that kit is similar to the professional one Safelite uses to repair chips. Yes, you need to pull air out, then fill the void with the glue using negative pressure.

F1shSkier

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE
Occupation
Solar Energy Consultant
Clubs

Be sure to tell us how much your premiums increase when you renew....
Just got my Nationwide renewal notice. Went from $640 to $730 (per 6 months) after using it to replace the windshield!

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
I doubt that the increase is from the windshield. Most insurance companies have gotten the cost analysis on the Rivian, and they were are given a IRQ (I think it means Insurance Replacement Quotient) score that was too low. So this is basically "market adjustment".
Sponsored