Cracked Windshield

David Y

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Ford F-150
I live in Wyoming where rocks hitting windshields is a common issue. My windshield was hit hard, at eye level and received multiple cracks. Normally, we can call Safelite, Windshield Doctor, or, one of many bodyshops in our area for windshield replacement.

I called Rivian support and was told the closest option for me was a body shop in Salt Lake City, over five hours away. The SLC body shop said they would check with Rivian about a replacement windshield and get back to me. That was a few weeks ago and I am still waiting to hear from them. In the meantime, the cracks are growing!

I hope Rivian has plans to make replacement parts available to body/repair shops...

Now waiting to hear back from my Rivian guide.
Sponsored

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
I have friends with a Hyundai that gets cracked windshields all the time. Apparently the replacement glass is rare and super expensive. Hope that won’t be the case for us.

Last edited:

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
This is one of my biggest concerns with going with Rivian. I can deal with the other issues with being a beta tester but like the OP I live in cracked windshield territory (Colorado) and worry about getting a replacement one. Every car I've owned in Colorado I've replaced the windshield at least twice.

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
One would think that with these vehicles being marketed as "adventure" vehicles Rivian has anticipated the need for these types of replacement parts.

I'd keep pestering the Rivian service department until you get an answer. They are somewhat prone to forgetting to follow up in my experience and having a compromised windshield is a significant safety issue. Don't want the next projectile to make its way into your cabin while driving.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Don't know if Rivian is having any supply chain issues with windshields but this was a problem that Lucid had specifically called out having earlier this year.

Sponsored

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
Let us know how much you paid for it. For a lot of more 'normal' cars a windshield usually runs 300-400 bucks, but people with Teslas are paying over 1000. Kinda rough in an area that sees a lot of them cracked.

Justbeachin’

First Name
Betsy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired RN
Clubs

I had a rock hit my windshield two days ago while driving. The crack was about 1.5 inches. I texted with my guide and she told me to contact the service department. I’m also over 5 hours from a service center and am waiting to hear back about repair. They advised me not to use another service and that my windshield would need to be replaced and calibrated. The temps here are pretty high and we’ve had thunderstorms over the last few days. Service department rep stated that these would most likely cause the crack to grow. They were right. My crack now extends downward to the dark shading area and upwards toward the height of rear view mirror. Waiting to hear back. I’ve included pics here and I sent pics to service department as requested. I did ask about the cost to replace the windshield out of pocket and was given a guesstimate of 1800.

Rivian R1T R1S Cracked Windshield D2F57158-1F9F-4A64-917A-F629DCFAC985

Rivian R1T R1S Cracked Windshield B258F7DC-F543-4091-845C-930FC87FE5A0

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Let us know how much you paid for it. For a lot of more 'normal' cars a windshield usually runs 300-400 bucks, but people with Teslas are paying over 1000. Kinda rough in an area that sees a lot of them cracked.
My wife's 2016 BMW X3d had a cracked windshield several years ago. $1400 until it was all done. As I recall $1100 for the windshield plus $250 - $300 for recalibration of the electronics.

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
My wife's 2016 BMW X3d had a cracked windshield several years ago. $1400 until it was all done. As I recall $1100 for the windshield plus $250 - $300 for recalibration of the electronics.
Pays to shop around. Had to replace windshield in my 2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier, and Safelite, with a $125 discount, only wanted $850 to replace and recalibrate safety features (included).

Out of curiosity, went to a local auto glass repair place in town, Glass Boys, and price was $367. Was told that recalibration of safety features was rarely ever needed, but if it did, they would refer me to the local Chevy dealership and would pay for the recalibration. They did a great job, was done in 2 hours as promised, and no recalibration needed.

Had enough $$$ left over to put Llumar tint on the windshield, and interestingly, the tint people said that Safelite in our town was terrible with numerous problems. Not to mention, very expensive.

Guess if your insurance covered this, who really cares, but my insurance plan would fix tiny dings, but for replacement, $1000 deductible.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I’m curious what the experience is like for Tesla owners when they need a windshield replacement and are far from a service center. Are Tesla windshields available through 3rd parties?

As for Rivian, IMO that’s a risk we take when buying from a brand new companies that doesn’t yet have have the full logistical support needed for a parts network. It’ll get better, but it could take a couple of years..

Sponsored

F1shSkier

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE
Occupation
Solar Energy Consultant
Clubs

Just caught a rock in mine yesterday. While driving around town, nothing on the 1,500 mile road trip I just did, of course. I figured having Rivian insurance would make things easy, but having to call Nationwide, then go through Safelite was super annoying.

I'm 3 hours from Kansas City, so Rivian Service will come pick up my truck next week and take it there for repair. I'll get a rental (probably ICE, puke) and it will be covered 100%, but I have to pay first and get reimbursed.

It's annoying, but it's the first battle scar!

Rivian R1T R1S Cracked Windshield 20220713_131435

Rivian R1T R1S Cracked Windshield 20220713_131904

Theeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Highlander
Occupation
sales
I had a rock hit my windshield two days ago while driving. The crack was about 1.5 inches. I texted with my guide and she told me to contact the service department. I’m also over 5 hours from a service center and am waiting to hear back about repair. They advised me not to use another service and that my windshield would need to be replaced and calibrated. The temps here are pretty high and we’ve had thunderstorms over the last few days. Service department rep stated that these would most likely cause the crack to grow. They were right. My crack now extends downward to the dark shading area and upwards toward the height of rear view mirror. Waiting to hear back. I’ve included pics here and I sent pics to service department as requested. I did ask about the cost to replace the windshield out of pocket and was given a guesstimate of 1800.

[/QUOTE}
Hello, would love an update on your repair experience. I got hit with a large rock last night, similar to your size crack. Need to know if i want to use AAA or pay for the rivian repair.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Living in CO I use my windshield insurance literally every year to get a new piece of glass that’s clear of pits and cracks. Come on, Rivian! :no:

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

Firm believer in the resin. Usually works pretty well.

My wife shopped around for a new windshield for her '19 xc90. Was quoted 1200 from dealer and 700 from local guy. This was my first car they supposedly needed a calibration, and local guy never mentioned it to us. Car drove fine after, but some of the advanced driving features were wonky. Advanced cruise control, lane departure warning and lane keep were all off.

Dealer wanted 300 just for 2hr calibration. We sold the car back to the same dealer about 3 months later without ever having the calibration done ;)

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Just caught a rock in mine yesterday. While driving around town, nothing on the 1,500 mile road trip I just did, of course. I figured having Rivian insurance would make things easy, but having to call Nationwide, then go through Safelite was super annoying.

I'm 3 hours from Kansas City, so Rivian Service will come pick up my truck next week and take it there for repair. I'll get a rental (probably ICE, puke) and it will be covered 100%, but I have to pay first and get reimbursed.

It's annoying, but it's the first battle scar!

20220713_131435.jpg

20220713_131904.jpg
covered under insurance? How much are they saying it costs?
Sponsored