First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla P100D, 98 TJ, Silverado SS, 18 Camaro 2SS
Occupation
IT
Long story short I am closing on a house 10/25. I was really hoping I wouldn’t get any delivery until then but of course I got my email saying I can start the steps and my guide assigned. I actually sort of need he truck now as I need something that can tow BUT I can’t do anything that will touch my credit until 10/25. I don’t want to tell my guide this yet because I’m worried I’ll lose the truck. Has anyone had any luck just delaying their delivery or actually talking it through with the guide?
Sponsored

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

A different question: how many people took delivery within three weeks of starting the Eight Steps?

Maybe just let Rivian do the foot dragging.

OP
OP

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
A different question: how many people took delivery within three weeks of starting the Eight Steps?

Maybe just let Rivian do the foot dragging.
Well financing is like step 3 is the problem. Not sure how long it takes to get there but I’ve heard of a lot of folks insuring and paying for their car long before they ever took delivery.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Just let rivian know your situation, and that you need to delay delivery/credit inquiries until you've secured your house

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Pretty sure you can let the 8 steps drag out until you’re ready. You might incur a delay, but I seriously doubt you’ll lose the truck. Just ask your Guide when the deadlines are.

As far as needing the truck to tow now … can you rent temporarily instead? Unless you’re towing daily, this might be a decent option. (not knowing your situation)

Sponsored

EVnewb

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna, Tesla MYP, R1T
Long story short I am closing on a house 10/25. I was really hoping I wouldn’t get any delivery until then but of course I got my email saying I can start the steps and my guide assigned. I actually sort of need he truck now as I need something that can tow BUT I can’t do anything that will touch my credit until 10/25. I don’t want to tell my guide this yet because I’m worried I’ll lose the truck. Has anyone had any luck just delaying their delivery or actually talking it through with the guide?
Ultimately it’s going to depend on your exact situation because there are a lot of variables to consider. Be honest with your guide and talk to them. The house should be the most important factor there, so the truck needs to wait. But let your guide know what’s going on because they will be able to take better care of you when you’re ready for delivery. I’m sure they will understand since you’re buying a house.

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

Well financing is like step 3 is the problem. Not sure how long it takes to get there but I’ve heard of a lot of folks insuring and paying for their car long before they ever took delivery.
Exactly. Don't insure and pay for the car long before delivery. Hopefully your guide will give you a better timeline once the vehicle is at the SC and undergoing QC.

tgo10000

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e, r1t, r1s
I’ve never seen a poll but most people don’t use rivian’s stuff for their loan anyway, so you would just select secure your own financing. I doubt you’re the first person needing a delay and won’t be the last. Agree just let your guide know the timing for delivery. It can be quick but some have had serious delays on rivian’s end - transport, pre delivery inspection, etc

Last edited:
OP
OP

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I’ve never seen a poll but most people don’t use rivian’s stuff for their loan anyway, so you would just select secure you own financing. I doubt you’re the first person needing a delay and won’t be the last. Agree just let your guide know the timing for delivery. It can be quick but some have had serious delays on rivian’s end - transport, pre delivery inspection, etc
Ahhh good to know I can do that. Yeah ill be using Hanscom. Great rates.

silkyjohnson

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition, Tesla Model 3
Went through this in May. They wouldn’t let me drag out the process. Had to go on hold and then back off hold after the move. Now it’s October and no truck yet

Reactions: Guy

Sponsored

OP
OP

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Went through this in May. They wouldn’t let me drag out the process. Had to go on hold and then back off hold after the move. Now it’s October and no truck yet
Pretty sure it was your post from then that made me scared of exactly that happening. Hence why I don't want to tell the guide.

Timo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 cummins | 1994 FZJ80 | 2021 Bolt
My guide told me specifically NOT to do financing and insurance until I got the all-clear from the SC that it was done with PDI.

jphillips97

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
Here is a controversial response and may not apply to you.
If buying a car is going to derail your mortgage financing, you may be overextending yourself financially.

OP
OP

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
My guide told me specifically NOT to do financing and insurance until I got the all-clear from the SC that it was done with PDI.
Good to know. I'm sure I'll be fine timing wise then.

OP
OP

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Here is a controversial response and may not apply to you.
If buying a car is going to derail your mortgage financing, you may be overextending yourself financially.
No mortgage company wants to see any credit inquiries or changes after an offer is made before the clear to close. It likely wouldn't detail anything, but not worth the risk.
Sponsored