Sponsored

Bed Rack options from Xtrusion Overland

OrthoBlock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, X5 PHEV
Sure, Instructions are still in the works, but the the attachment is using the OEM bar clamping area. We utilize a proprietary CNC machined U-Nut in 6061 Aluminum. Then we attach a 50” T-Slot bar that has pockets and bores machined to match the clamping areas of the Rivian. The t-slot rail also has a bore machined and assembled with a proprietary push button to reach the gear tunnel switch for the front side. The bar ends before the tonneau and tailgate switches on the rear side. We also use rubber pads under the bar to avoid damage to the plastic trim of the bedrail.

The T-Slot bar then serves as the mounting points for the upright feet, which is another proprietary design that allows the bar to be screwed from underneath the feet, and then the feet are attached from the top to the T-Slot bar, allowing for a strong and clean mechanical joint.

This method has been tested and proven very rigid, but final rev. parts which are shown in 3D images below are still in production. Hope this helps!
How easy is it to unmount the whole rack, and is it feasible to lift it off the vehicle for storage while fully laden?

One thing I've enjoyed with my factory crossbar mounted solution is that I can simply unlock the latches and lift the entire setup off my truck in 3 minutes. It can then hang of my garage ceiling until ready for next adventure, at which point another few min to lower in down and lock down the bars to be ready to go.

It would be great to be able lift this whole rack of the truck in the same way. Wondering if possible.

Rivian R1T R1S Bed Rack options from Xtrusion Overland IMG_1275

pklomboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

RabidRat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 03 S2K
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Hi! When will the XBRS be available to order?

Looking for a setup like this:
Rivian R1T R1S Bed Rack options from Xtrusion Overland F387E039-E37B-41CB-8621-C45B38FAA07A

Last edited:

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Hi! When will the XBRS be available to order?

Looking for a setup like this:
F387E039-E37B-41CB-8621-C45B38FAA07A.jpeg
Uh, open the XO configuration link. They offer 9-22” height, as well as matching height to Rivian roof crossbars.

Rivian R1T R1S Bed Rack options from Xtrusion Overland D9345EE3-80BF-411C-8DF0-A4AD7F7AE70A

Sponsored

RabidRat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 03 S2K
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Uh, open the XO configuration link. They offer 9-22” height, as well as matching height to Rivian roof crossbars.
Thanks moosehead, but I think what you're showing is still XTR and not XBRS :(? I'm looking for 6" height without any of the support bars, and it should be $900, not $1800.

[...]
Get ready to pre-order Monday January 30th, midnight CST limited to 50 pre-release racks and deliveries starting March 15th . Starting at $1800 for XTR1 (4 uprights, 2 crossbars from 10 to 22” in height) and $900 for XBRS (2 Crossbar Sets from 5” to 8”) and $2500 for XTR3 (6 uprights and 3 crossbars from 10” to 22” in height)
[...]
I couldn't select any XBRS from the posted configurator link (thanks for re-linking as well). And when I go to the XBRS configurator section of the website (note: not the XTR configurator), it doesn't list Rivian in their dropdown menu of options.

https://xtrusion-overland.com/products/x-brs-cross-bars-configurator
Rivian R1T R1S Bed Rack options from Xtrusion Overland Screenshot 2023-02-19 at 9.54.16 AM

Rivian R1T R1S Bed Rack options from Xtrusion Overland Screenshot 2023-02-19 at 9.50.43 AM

Last edited:

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

I’d like to get the shortest rack height possible that would still allow me to slide a roof top tent over the spoiler up to the back edge of the antenna fin. I’m trying to minimize rear overhang from a long rtt while keeping the lowest possible height. I can’t tell from the posted rendering if the 18” rack has the clearance needed over the curve of the spoiler or just to the trailing edge. I contacted Xtrusion Overland and they responded, “Measure from the bedrail behind the rear window up to where it would clear the fin. Then add 1.5" to that and that would be the height of the rack to order. Pretty sure the 18" gets you even with the "spoiler" off the roof above the rear window.”

My R1T won’t arrive for a few more weeks. Would someone here considering this rack be willing to take a measurement? I need to know the distance from the bedrail that will clear the highest point of spoiler. Thanks!

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I've got a 9" rack setup coming in March. Will be looking to mount Tred Pros, Roam 95L box, shovel/axe, and all the other things.

Loving the modularity of the setup. That's my go-to philosophy. Love being able to switch things up whenever I want. Looking forward to it!

OP
OP

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
I’d like to get the shortest rack height possible that would still allow me to slide a roof top tent over the spoiler up to the back edge of the antenna fin. I’m trying to minimize rear overhang from a long rtt while keeping the lowest possible height. I can’t tell from the posted rendering if the 18” rack has the clearance needed over the curve of the spoiler or just to the trailing edge. I contacted Xtrusion Overland and they responded, “Measure from the bedrail behind the rear window up to where it would clear the fin. Then add 1.5" to that and that would be the height of the rack to order. Pretty sure the 18" gets you even with the "spoiler" off the roof above the rear window.”

My R1T won’t arrive for a few more weeks. Would someone here considering this rack be willing to take a measurement? I need to know the distance from the bedrail that will clear the highest point of spoiler. Thanks!
This is exactly my situation. My RTT is a hardshell, about 78” long. I would like to keep it as low as possible, so not above the antenna fin. It will stick out the back a bit, but hopefully not too much. I reached out to xtrusion last week. I asked if they could provide a rendering showing the 18” and 19” racks in a full side profile, to get a better idea of the relationship to the spoiler. They responded, “We are supposed to be test fitting on a Rivian this Friday so hopefully we will have pics to post after that.” So, maybe this coming week they will have something on the website.

My other thought is to get an 18” that will sit right at spoiler height, then add a some sort of spacer bar to get the proper height for the tent to just clear the spoiler. With this setup, the tent and spacer could be easily and quickly removed, if need be. I, like you, am a bit in the dark on all the actual measurements, as I don’t have my R1T.

I would obviously be very interested if you find anything out. I will post here if I hear anything.

OP
OP

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”

I just checked in with Xtrusion, again, regarding this situation and heard back from them, right away. They have been very responsive 👍 I used a hypothetical situation of loading a piece of plywood that would need to just clear the spoiler, but not the antenna. I was told that the 18” rack is “even with the top of the spoiler”. He said that I could load the plywood, but might need to place a pad or something on the spoiler to prevent damage. This seemed to confirm that the 18’ rack is actually even with the TOP of the spoiler. So, depending on the mounting rails on your RTT, 18” may work. Many tents have rails attached externally to the bottom of the tent, thereby elevating the tent an inch or so. In my case, the RTT mounting rails are inset flush to the bottom of the tent. Therefore, I would probably need a slightly taller rack or some sort of spacers. BTW, I was told Xtrusion is in the process of designing spacers of varying heights to accommodate just this type of situation 😊

Sponsored

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

I just checked in with Xtrusion, again, regarding this situation and heard back from them, right away. They have been very responsive 👍 I used a hypothetical situation of loading a piece of plywood that would need to just clear the spoiler, but not the antenna. I was told that the 18” rack is “even with the top of the spoiler”. He said that I could load the plywood, but might need to place a pad or something on the spoiler to prevent damage. This seemed to confirm that the 18’ rack is actually even with the TOP of the spoiler. So, depending on the mounting rails on your RTT, 18” may work. Many tents have rails attached externally to the bottom of the tent, thereby elevating the tent an inch or so. In my case, the RTT mounting rails are inset flush to the bottom of the tent. Therefore, I would probably need a slightly taller rack or some sort of spacers. BTW, I was told Xtrusion is in the process of designing spacers of varying heights to accommodate just this type of situation 😊
I appreciate the update! My tent is on rails but they run almost the full length of the tent. I had wanted to avoid spacers or shims because I planned on using their low profile rtt mounts which appear to need to sit flush with the mounting point. It might be a while before they get to making custom spacers so maybe an 18.5” height would be the simplest solution. Not sure if they will cut the extrusion to custom lengths.

I asked if they were still on track for a mid march ship date and didn’t get a response. Did you hear anything? Also, I priced out a similar rack from them for a short bed truck and it looks like there’s about a $1000 “Rivian tax.” The racks look identical other than the bed rails. Not sure if I’m missing anything else. Good on them if they can earn some extra $ by being an early supplier but it seems like a significant premium for a modular system. Then again, it’s not like they have much competition at this point.

Considering they’re just at the prototype stage, I’d like to see an actual installation before ordering. I’d also love to learn more about what they are thinking for a quick release system for the rack from the bed rails. I have a garage hoist and it would be great to have a faster way to separate the rack from the bed rails without repeatedly screwing and unscrewing 12 bolts.

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
I’d also love to learn more about what they are thinking for a quick release system for the rack from the bed rails. I have a garage hoist and it would be great to have a faster way to separate the rack from the bed rails without repeatedly screwing and unscrewing 12 bolts.
This 100%! I place an order for the 18" rack a few weeks back, but am really interested in the quick release system for the same reasons.

OP
OP

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
I appreciate the update! My tent is on rails but they run almost the full length of the tent. I had wanted to avoid spacers or shims because I planned on using their low profile rtt mounts which appear to need to sit flush with the mounting point. It might be a while before they get to making custom spacers so maybe an 18.5” height would be the simplest solution. Not sure if they will cut the extrusion to custom lengths.
Can your tent rails be shortened to come up short of the spoiler? I also like their tent mounting brackets and I’m sure they would be compatible with any risers they come up with. With those brackets, I have to wonder what real need there is for a quick release system. It seems like the brackets only require undoing a few bolts, which would only take minutes.

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
I also like their tent mounting brackets and I’m sure they would be compatible with any risers they come up with. With those brackets, I have to wonder what real need there is for a quick release system. It seems like the brackets only require undoing a few bolts, which would only take minutes.
For my application, I'm wanting the quick release between the XO rack and the truck bed... and be able to leave the RTT fastened to the XO rack "permanently" with the XO tent fasteners. This will allow me to hoist the entire assembly to the roof of my garage - and not have to leave the rack on my truck all the time. This is how I currently do it with the Rivian crossbars and Skycamp RTT.

OP
OP

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
Never thought about removing the whole rack and RTT as one assembly. During the winter, I really won’t need the rack for anything. Maybe I’ll just take it off, too 👍
Sponsored