Bed mounted vs hitch mounted bike rack?

danielvdm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Thanks! Out of curiosity, what made you choose the Equip-D vs their other racks? It wasn't totally obvious to me when perusing 1-ups website.
I've heard anecdotally that 1-up makes the best racks (I also have the Thule hitch rack and not the biggest fan, also wanted easy expansion abilities). For Equip-D vs the classic, they both seemed like good choices, just the Equip-D had some nicer features (the pull handle) and I way preferred the black anodized look over the raw metal of the original.
Sponsored

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

The problem with the Thule is it sits too high and the tailgate on the R1T
I plan to use my hitch mounted Thule as I have it already and it works greatā€¦ That said, I may give the 1UP over the bed a go. I ride an XL Bronson 27.5 and it tends to need the full tray length on the Thule, but if it can fit up there it saves me the time as Im usually not driving far for rides.
I loved my Thule but it won't clear the R1T tailgate when it's down, which is a show stopper for me, hence my 1UP.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3, SC Bronson
Occupation
Product Development
The problem with the Thule is it sits too high and the tailgate on the R1T

I loved my Thule but it won't clear the R1T tailgate when it's down, which is a show stopper for me, hence my 1UP.
That makes senseā€¦ and of course is a bummer, but when my number gets called Ill probably get the 1UP for now and a drop adapter for when I need all 4 bikes and have to use the Thule

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
One pro of a hitch mount that I forgot about is that it keep the cross bars free for a tent if you want to bring your bikes while using a RTT.
I just got the Kuat Transfer, Iā€™ve been wheels off bike guy since the 90ā€™s but just bought a new 29er that the wheels donā€™t come off so easily so I think the RTT will be a good combo for hitch rack freeing up the roof for kayakā€¦lol just dropped the rack mounts on the configuration. We will see if it turns out better, I still have a bit to go, max pack still a ways out.

Chas60422

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru outback
Occupation
Healthcare
I just did a recent trip with 1up heavy duty 2 bike with 1up hitch extender and a iKamper Mini. Here is my trip report. Note on return trip there was a decent headwind that I dealt with. Mostly in conserve mode. With bikes tilted down just enough clearance for tailgate to be fully down with no touching of the bikes.
Rivian R1T R1S Bed mounted vs hitch mounted bike rack? A7EA73DC-3C25-46CD-AAB2-EC21C3F037E3
Rivian R1T R1S Bed mounted vs hitch mounted bike rack? D3B602D8-129D-45DE-B597-C457F131E8B8

Sponsored

OP
OP
SeaGeo

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I just did a recent trip with 1up heavy duty 2 bike with 1up hitch extender and a iKamper Mini. Here is my trip report. Note on return trip there was a decent headwind that I dealt with. Mostly in conserve mode. With bikes tilted down just enough clearance for tailgate to be fully down with no touching of the bikes.
A7EA73DC-3C25-46CD-AAB2-EC21C3F037E3.jpeg
D3B602D8-129D-45DE-B597-C457F131E8B8.jpeg
Sweet. I think this is the build I've landed on too.

aw113sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1t
I love my northshoreracks setup. Super tough (no plastic). Easy to load. Had for several years and it's been better than any other option I've tried.
Rivian R1T R1S Bed mounted vs hitch mounted bike rack? 20220528_093241

EMcritDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Tucson
Anyone know of we can use flush mounts with the t-slots in the rivian crossbars? Ive never used that system and looking at the 1up roof mounts, not sure which hardware to get.

Im interested in the 1up system as it appears i can mount over the bed as my 29" mtb has a nose to tail length of 72.5" which is slightly too long for the Rivian/Yakima set over the bed and im worried the roof will eat too much efficiency. I am intrigued by the 1up heavy duty 2 with hitch extender seen above seeing as your efficiency didnt look too bad and seems luxurious to not have to lift into bed.... just not sure i want to sacrifice the hitch for future trips.

Nermal

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Miata, 2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2018 Q5
Anyone know of we can use flush mounts with the t-slots in the rivian crossbars? Ive never used that system and looking at the 1up roof mounts, not sure which hardware to get.

Im interested in the 1up system as it appears i can mount over the bed as my 29" mtb has a nose to tail length of 72.5" which is slightly too long for the Rivian/Yakima set over the bed and im worried the roof will eat too much efficiency. I am intrigued by the 1up heavy duty 2 with hitch extender seen above seeing as your efficiency didnt look too bad and seems luxurious to not have to lift into bed.... just not sure i want to sacrifice the hitch for future trips.
1Up flush mount works great on the Rivian crossbars.

As for 1Up bike fitting in general, you can slide the 1Up tray rearward enough to get longer bikes over the bed. Tray and bike may be cantilevered out beyond the tailgate a bit but less obtrusive beyond back of truck than even a bike on tailgate pad let alone a hitch rack.

I've said it before. Its a shame the Yakima's front mount is fixed and doesn't allow for longer bikes. The Yakima is a bit more point and shoot, if you will, than the 1Up, as great as the 1Up is.

whyasky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
I'm planning to use a tailgate pad for everything local and potentially for road trips as I really don't want to invest in a 4 bike rack just for that purpose.

Question for those with the truck in hand. When a 29" Mtb is loaded over a tailgate pad, how much room is left in the bed - between the rear wheel and the cab? I would consider adding some kind of upright divider to utilize whatever is left of the bed for gear on longer trips if there's decent space available. That space should be easily accessible from gear tunnel doors and could be closed with the tonneau at less than full extension.

Sponsored

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
Had to get creative on hauling this "bike".
Rivian R1T R1S Bed mounted vs hitch mounted bike rack? IMG_20220607_182457

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Will be moving from hitch mount to bed mount for the first time w/Rivian. Stay tuned for ring camera footage of me pulling into the garage.
I hope your username doesnā€™t portend your bikeā€™s demise (or that of your cabin). šŸ˜‰

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I'm running a single 1UP over the bed and liking that. I did use my hitch mount as well. It's dangerously close to the truck bed so I'd recommend an extender if using 1UP. Anyone use driver assist with hitchmount??? In my X5, driver+ would freak out and fantom brake hard on the interstate thinking the bikes were a vehicle. I'm hoping to avoid that with the R1T.

FB59250C-AB57-4397-8AB5-06C3E62B55BC.jpeg
If your X5 was braking hard because of something right behind it, I think BMW missed their chance to patent the PABC Financial Security Device. (otherwise known as the ā€œPlaintiffā€™s Attorney Brake Checkā€ feature).

boardthatpowder

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi Q5
My 29er is 72" long so just too long for it to fit using the Yakima HighRoad Rooftop Bike Mount as sold on the Rivian Gear Shop.

I do not want to use a hitch mount as do not want to risk obscuring any of the camera/sensors, and want to be able to drop the tailgate.

I do not want to use a tail pad again because I want full use of my bed.

So I tried the Yakima HighSpeed fork mount. Fits very well. Very easy to load and unload my MTB. My only issue, and this is because of my bike rather than the mount, due to the shape of my bolt-in thru axle the clamp on the mount only clamps it at each of the ends. It's still very secure but I'm going to see if I can find some kind of a sleeve to cover it to even out the clamping pressure along the axle.

Regarding security I've ordered the SKS lock cores for the mount.

Rivian R1T R1S Bed mounted vs hitch mounted bike rack? IMG_3598

Reactions: diz

FirstStateR1T

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list, I have a problem!
Occupation
Mech. E/GM/COO
Clubs

I'm eagerly awaiting the release of Rockymounts new "AfterParty Rack which is very similiar to all of the 1up stlye racks and comes with the swing out arm standard! Best of both worlds, not if only I could get one SOON... https://rockymounts.com/products/afterparty.html
Sponsored