Sponsored

At what point is the R1T outdated?

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Forget styling. I think the 2023 Cybertruck is going to steal a lot of thunder from the R1T when it's released. That's IF it ever goes into production.

https://i.redd.it/7uw37o4xltp81.jpg
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Forget styling. I think the 2023 Cybertruck is going to steal a lot of thunder from the R1T when it's released. That's IF it ever goes into production.

https://i.redd.it/7uw37o4xltp81.jpg
Of the people in my social circle, several are considering a lightning or R1T. None of them are willing to consider the CT. It doesn't seem to be particularly interesting to anyone other than Tesla fans.

I'll be surprised if it comes in at less than 90k for a readily available trim. aka, even if they allow you to reserve a "short range" version that's 60k or something, I doubt they'll actually sell them. like the SR Model Y.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I'm a huge Rivian and Tesla fan. The Cybertruck will bring billions into Tesla's coffer. It's going into production.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
how big is the bed on the cyber "truck?"

JaMa

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 LR Defender 110, 2021 Tesla Model YP
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Of the people in my social circle, several are considering a lightning or R1T. None of them are willing to consider the CT. It doesn't seem to be particularly interesting to anyone other than Tesla fans.

I'll be surprised if it comes in at less than 90k for a readily available trim. aka, even if they allow you to reserve a "short range" version that's 60k or something, I doubt they'll actually sell them. like the SR Model Y.
I agree with this completely. The CT will need to be *at least* as expensive as a model Y to break even (new tooling, stainless body, brand new production line etc.). I also just dont think its a viable replacement for a real truck. Real truck buyers who want to electrify are going directly to the F150 Lightning followed by maybe Rivian or GM once GM actually ships something.

I also completely agree with the assessment that the current Rivian products are either obsolete or becoming obsolete quickly. Go watch Munro live's teardown and there are just some straight up amateur decisions made under the hood there. So, Rivian needs to work hard to build efficiencies, get the software and BMS capabilities up to spec, lighten and improve the efficiencies of scale for production, and just generally streamline that product or they are going to be doomed to failure.

All this being said, I am still going to take delivery of my R1T if they ever contact me. It's still the best smaller option out there, right now at least.

Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I predict the minimum MSRP will be $89,900 for a base Quad Motor Cybertruck.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
With the next inevitable delay and the slow ramp up, will the R1T become outdated before significant deliveries even start?
Yes.
If they take 2-3 years to clear the current backlog of orders, will the R1T still be relevant?
No.

Since this is the case, please forward your best 50% off price of your new 2022 Rivian R1T once delivered. Serious inquires only.

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
The R1T is a great looking truck, it gets comments and people stopping me that have no clue it is even electric. With software updates I think it will continue to do well in the current market.

I plan to also get a CyberTruck but many people are put off by the looks. I don't really care, it's going to be a great long range road tripping truck with a great existing charging network (assuming specs don't change for the worst).

I think it is somewhat funny that those that are the most concerned about how the CyberTruck looks are actually the ones that are most self conscious about how they look. The way it is explained is they "just want a truck, not make a statement" and accuse those that want a cybertruck of trying to give off a certain image.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I predict the minimum MSRP will be $89,900 for a base Quad Motor Cybertruck.
IMO (no proof whatsoever) there are hundreds of thousands of CT preorders placed by people who thought it was way cool and plunked down the $100 on a whim, including tens of thousands of kids - "Hey Dad, check this out, let's place an order!". I know a parent who did this on a whim for their kids! They are going to choke when they see the real price, if it actually even ships. I give it a 65% chance of actually shipping in mass quantity.

Regarding the R1 becoming dated, I think the R2 will quickly overtake the R1, and the R1 will be never be produced in quantities that make it appear really outdated. I know that may not make sense to some people. My best example is the Porsche 911. Does any 911 in the past 25 years really appear "outdated"? Not to me....

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
IMO (no proof whatsoever) there are hundreds of thousands of CT preorders placed by people who thought it was way cool and plunked down the $100 on a whim, including tens of thousands of kids - "Hey Dad, check this out, let's place an order!". I know a parent who did this on a whim for their kids! They are going to choke when they see the real price, if it actually even ships. I give it a 65% chance of actually shipping in mass quantity.

Regarding the R1 becoming dated, I think the R2 will quickly overtake the R1, and the R1 will be never be produced in quantities that make it appear really outdated. I know that may not make sense to some people. My best example is the Porsche 911. Does any 911 in the past 25 years really appear "outdated"? Not to me....
This was my (although very sarcastic) point above. The R1 series is already a "classic". I for one will embrace it, even with all the bugs that may or may not occur. Something this new and relatively unproven is often called "bleeding edge technology" (pun intended) and may not be for everyone. In my personal case, it will be more than enough, but that may not be the case for others.

Over time I may change my mind. If that occurs I will sell the R1T and purchase the R2T, or whatever the future may bring. In todays fast-paced world, most items are "outdated" the moment you purchase it. YMMV.

Sponsored

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

.........My best example is the Porsche 911. Does any 911 in the past 25 years really appear "outdated"? Not to me....
I know they may look similar at a glance. Clearly you have not driven an old 911 (996) and the current generation 911 (992). It is a completely a different car in terms of what it can do and how it behaves, and under the skin.

Given how long R1S is taking to deliver to most people, if Rivian release R2S specs and image before too long, I suspect many will simply flip to R2S. Especially those here who have complained about not needing the 3rd row, maybe they will buy R1S until R2S is ready to deliver then sell R1S (especially pre price hike orders).

Like I've said in the past, all EVs are like laptops with wheels so expect to be outdated in a short time.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
I know they may look similar at a glance. Clearly you have not driven an old 911 (996) and the current generation 911 (992). It is a completely a different car in terms of what it can do and how it behaves, and under the skin.
Off topic, but curious. Do you think the 911 has "improved'? And by what definition or reason?

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer

Given how long R1S is taking to deliver to most people, if Rivian release R2S specs and image before too long, I suspect many will simply flip to R2S. Especially those here who have complained about not needing the 3rd row, maybe they will buy R1S until R2S is ready to deliver then sell R1S (especially pre price hike orders).

Like I've said in the past, all EVs are like laptops with wheels so expect to be outdated in a short time.
No, I have not driven either. I was specifically referring to appearance. Perhaps I'm an outlier, but when discussing cars, the term outdated *to me* only refers to appearance/styling. I look at it that way because every mass produced car is technologically outdated even before the very first one leaves the factory.

Engi_Nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR, Alfa Romeo Giulia

At the end of the day, Tesla is going to start shipping something resembling a pickup truck in Q3/Q4 next year, and will sell every single one they can produce for probably at least 5 years. Won't matter if it's smaller, $25K more expensive, and has pieces falling off. There is immense pent up demand for a family-size, "mainstream" Tesla vehicle with a softer suspension setup to the point where looks don't really matter. I am personally skeptical it will be a true stressed skin design and even more skeptical it will have "armored glass". I assume it will be a standard unibody with some stainless body panels and something resembling Gorilla glass. Tesla does need to be careful with how far they can push their blatant cost-saving measures as people are coming back around the the importance of physical controls like door handles, steering wheels, wiper controls you can find without crashing into oncoming traffic.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Off topic, but curious. Do you think the 911 has "improved'? And by what definition or reason?
You might recall that 911s up until the mid to late 80s were called "widow makers" because the rear engine layout was not forgiving to most drivers.

Porsche made lots of improvements over the years and traction controls and so on. The reason why I said in the previous post about not having driven the two generations ago 911 vs today's is that its a completely a different sized vehicle with whole new interior.

From driving standpoint, today's 911 has different driving modes and great creature comfort sized interior for a sports car. Still drives very similar, feel wise to all the predecessors - credit to Porsche engineers. It is very difficult to compare to older models because of all the different options Porsches have in terms of options (including transmission, older 996 had two different width/track bodies between the base and turbo models). There are too many options in my mind.

Is it improved - yes, except for one aspect. Weight. With size and safety, it weighs more. As such, its noticeable.
Sponsored