First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Cruiser 100, Launch Edition R1T, Mustang Mach
Occupation
IT Consultant
I'd be in for this as well. Could stop on my way home from a factory pick-up (hopefully). But I'm a 1/21 R1S Adventure order holder, so you may have earlier options.
Sponsored

NmbrsNvrLie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT
Also feel like I’m obliged to get take the 20 ATs on my LE since they are free upgrade, but honestly think I really want the standard 21s for max efficiency. Might also be looking for a swap or to buy a set of 21s someone takes off.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Also feel like I’m obliged to get take the 20 ATs on my LE since they are free upgrade, but honestly think I really want the standard 21s for max efficiency. Might also be looking for a swap or to buy a set of 21s someone takes off.
Same thought. My current theory is to take the 20s because they're a forged wheel and put a road tire on them if range is an issue. 21s are just not enough side wall for the pot holed third world roads I drive around San Francisco and Silicon Valley.
I hope to get some even lighter fully forged wheels in 20s for off-road/winter and keep the factory 20s as the original equipment for on-road/summer and resale value.

Jamlank

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
I’d like to do this swap. I’ll be getting the 21’s on my R1T adventure.

RideAlong

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 Porsche Panamera S + 19 Ford F-150
Occupation
Dentist
1. They’re providing an option that costs $1,800 new for free, after having it be used for a few months. It isn’t a used toothbrush or face mask, it’s a set of wheels.
2.I’m sure either party can choose to back out if the wheels aren’t in the condition described.

I don’t get the trepidation.
it's not just the trepidation , it's the logistics. Do what works for You , by all means.

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
it's not just the trepidation , it's the logistics. Do what works for You , by all means.
Yea, agree the logistics will need to be sorted out. It looks like OP will find someone close enough geographically - the next thing is how close the two orders are to each other. Seems like a reasonable amount of effort to expend for a free wheel upgrade :).

RideAlong

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 Porsche Panamera S + 19 Ford F-150
Occupation
Dentist
Yea, agree the logistics will need to be sorted out. It looks like OP will find someone close enough geographically - the next thing is how close the two orders are to each other. Seems like a reasonable amount of effort to expend for a free wheel upgrade :).
I guess so , maybe , if one is retired and has nothing else going on in life .. but hey , value is in the eye of the beholder. Hope they post a YouTube of themselves jacking the cars up and transposing each wheel etc. Hopefully neither party feels slighted on tread depth equity or some such. ?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
pot holed third world roads I drive around San Francisco and Silicon Valley.
hahahahaha. I love driving there. It’s so smooth! No one’s even *heard* of frost heave!

come up here, if you’d like to know what an actual pothole is.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
hahahahaha. I love driving there. It’s so smooth! No one’s even *heard* of frost heave!

come up here, if you’d like to know what an actual pothole is.
Ha!
I used to spend half my year in Canuckistan till "da corona" made it illegal to wander. But I'd swap my Silicon Valley taxes for Canadia taxes for sure, yah. Who knows, with global warming, Canada might be the new Hawaii … : |

OP
OP

blturner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Space Pirate
Got mine this weekend with the ATs. I am still up for the swap after I take it off-roading at least a bit. Probably around July-August. But probably no-one would have the road tires by then. I plan on driving to Denver a time or two this summer.

Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
As a launch edition preorder I get the free upgrade to 20” AT wheels. But I need the 21” Road tires to get the range needed to pull my trailers to the lake. I also seldom go off road.
But I would dearly love to try out my new Rivian’s off-road prowess. I want to go climb a mountain in it.
So my idea is that I could swap wheels with someone that wants the AT wheels but doesn’t get them free. That way I could try them out for a few months and then swap them for the road wheels when the non-launch editions start getting delivered.
Of course the tires would have a couple months use on them but you could avoid the $3,500 $1,800 up charge.
I drive about 20,000 miles a year, So YMMV.
You should keep in mind that the impact AT tires have on your range is greatly diminished when towing.

I can explain the math later if you are interested, but if the range loss is 15% when not towing, It will only be 7.5% when towing ( assuming trailer reduces range by half)

It's not to say you shouldn't follow through with your plan, but you should have realistic expectations about the amount of towing range you will gain from this trade.

Edit - autocorrect sucks

Last edited:
OP
OP

blturner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Space Pirate
You should keep in mind that the impact AT tires have on your range is greatly diminished when towing.

I can explain the math later if you are interested, but if the range loss is 15% when not towing, It will only be 7.5% when towing ( assuming trailer produces reached by half)

It's not to say you shouldn't follow through with your plan, but you should have realistic expectations about the amount of towing range you will gain from this trade.
Noted. And I agree.
Thanks.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Noted. And I agree.
Thanks.
I’d use up the AT tires, then at replacement time put something less aggressive in a similar size on the 20” wheels.

OP
OP

blturner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Space Pirate
I was worried about the noise of the AT tires. But now that I have the truck, I have learned that there are a lot of other noises that hide the AT tire noise. I think I hear it but not sure the noise is even there. Until I ride in one with road tires I can't be sure.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
As a launch edition preorder I get the free upgrade to 20” AT wheels. But I need the 21” Road tires to get the range needed to pull my trailers to the lake. I also seldom go off road.
But I would dearly love to try out my new Rivian’s off-road prowess. I want to go climb a mountain in it.
So my idea is that I could swap wheels with someone that wants the AT wheels but doesn’t get them free. That way I could try them out for a few months and then swap them for the road wheels when the non-launch editions start getting delivered.
Of course the tires would have a couple months use on them but you could avoid the $3,500 $1,800 up charge.
I drive about 20,000 miles a year, So YMMV.
What does your load sticker read? I'm trying to find out which wheel/tire actually gets the 1760lb payload...not my 22":
Rivian R1T R1S Anyone want swap/upgrade to 20” AT tires 1652152095541
Sponsored