First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Space Pirate
As a launch edition preorder I get the free upgrade to 20” AT wheels. But I need the 21” Road tires to get the range needed to pull my trailers to the lake. I also seldom go off road.
But I would dearly love to try out my new Rivian’s off-road prowess. I want to go climb a mountain in it.
So my idea is that I could swap wheels with someone that wants the AT wheels but doesn’t get them free. That way I could try them out for a few months and then swap them for the road wheels when the non-launch editions start getting delivered.
Of course the tires would have a couple months use on them but you could avoid the $3,500 $1,800 up charge.
I drive about 20,000 miles a year, So YMMV.
Sponsored

Last edited:

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
As a launch edition preorder I get the free upgrade to 20” AT wheels. But I need the 21” Road tires to get the range needed to pull my trailers to the lake. I also seldom go off road.
But I would dearly love to try out my new Rivian’s off-road prowess. I want to go climb a mountain in it.
So my idea is that I could swap wheels with someone that wants the AT wheels but doesn’t get them free. That way I could try them out for a few months and then swap them for the road wheels when the non-launch editions start getting delivered.
Of course the tires would have a couple months use on them but you could avoid the $3,500 up charge.
Yes but my explore R1S may not be arriving any time soon and I guess there’s a chance I don’t go through with the order…I see you’re in KC, I’m in STL, so logistically it could work.

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
I like your thinking here! And I'd actually take you up on that offer, and you're close enough to make it work. But similarly to @McMoo , I'm waiting on an R1S, and not LE. SO I could be waiting well into next year, or even 2024.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

That's smart anyone getting the Launch edition should take the upgrade.

OP
OP

blturner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Space Pirate
Only 3 replies. But all positive. I can’t decide if I risk it or forego the upgrade.

Sponsored

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I’m 100% in. My reservation is for a max pack and it burns me I couldnt get the free upgrade even though I dropped a deposit early on. When do you think you’re getting your vehicle? They haven’t told me when I’m getting mine.

OP
OP

blturner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Space Pirate
March-April is what I’ve been told.

R1T7777

First Name
CaliSurfer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Propagandist
Of course the tires would have a couple months use on them but you could avoid the $3,500 up charge.
If these are the black 20” wheels I’ll 100% swap. I’d even throw in a little $. My non LE R1T should be coming this next summer...maybe?

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

wouldn't that void the warranty on the wheels for both of y'all? and possibly other parts of the warranty? id check with Rivian if i were you.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
I wasn't aware of any Launch Edition freebies like the 20" ATs (which are a forged wheel.)
How did you become aware of this offer?
(your guide might have better kung fu than mine)

Sponsored

OP
OP

blturner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Space Pirate
I double checked on the configurator and I can get the 20" All terrain, 20" All terrain Bright, or 22" sport as included. They are an $1800 upgrade on my non launch edition R1S. So not the $3500 I posted earlier. But I can't get either of the dark options. They would cost me $3500 just like everyone else.
So plan on changing to the all terrain bright as I think they look better with the white paint.(But not seeing any of them in person makes that a hard call.)
The ones that you see all the time in the reviews are the not the bright.
As for the warranty, That would only apply to the wheels if at all. I don't think that warranty claims on wheels are worth worrying about.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

OP
OP

blturner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Space Pirate
Just changed the configuration. Will start trying try to swap about June or so. Unless I am having a lot of fun with them and I can find a set of road wheels to add to my collection.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
a used wheel swap .. uh ok ?
1. They’re providing an option that costs $1,800 new for free, after having it be used for a few months. It isn’t a used toothbrush or face mask, it’s a set of wheels.
2.I’m sure either party can choose to back out if the wheels aren’t in the condition described.

I don’t get the trepidation.
Sponsored