Sponsored

Any tests done on Vampire battery drain?

fbitz777

First Name
francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T 2017MX; 2022 Ioniq5 (2)
Problem is Rivian is a 'copycat' of Tesla in many respects (user experience, no carplay; lots of OTAs, ...) hence they think it's ok to run things and vampire drain is ok to keep things happy.

In my case both of these cars cost me 2 months of solar production as vampire drain.
I make it up somehow because I have free supercharging on Tesla.

On my Bolt I have seen vampire drain ONLY if it is extremely cold and car is plugged in.
On my Ioniq5s never noticed any vampire drain.
Sponsored

Spiffster

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 (Sold), Ford Fusion Energi
The vampire drain issue needs to be fixed. Not sure what kind of gaming PC hardware we got running on the Rivian 24/7 buts its too much. I guestimate about 300W just sitting there. Im one of the pricks who flipped a Rivian R1T for a fat profit and ended up with a F150 Lightning. I have another R1T on order... everything about it is better than the Ford except for the vampire drain. It kills the deal for me. The Ford has zero perceivable vampire drain but no cool features like gear guard. If the Rivian could be geofenced to go into deep sleep while at home that would be great.

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
At those temps some EV's will spend energy trying to keep the battery at optimal temps.

People here are complaining that their Rivian's are seeing excess battery drain even in 50-80F temps which are optimal battery temps.
The thing is there's no harm in storing a lithium battery at 20F, you can keep them in your freezer at 0F at home and they'll last longer even.

Now if you want to charge them you have to have them warmer, but surely the car could recognize that *after* you plug a charger in. You can use the cells at low temp too especially if it's a light load, a non-moving vehicle barely requires any power.

ICE vehicles don't even preheat their battery before shorting 200A through the starter motor. Different chemistry (although LiIon SLI batteries exist), but unlike charging in the cold it doesn't cause harm, just a serious reduction in available power.

Sponsored

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

OAT -4F app running overnight loss 1%
That’s pretty good.

Is “overnight” 24 hours or more like 10-12 hours?

Did you measure using the SOC readout, comparing guessometer values, or charger consumption?

Fencer

First Name
Vlad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
govt
That’s pretty good.

Is “overnight” 24 hours or more like 10-12 hours?

Did you measure using the SOC readout, comparing guessometer values, or charger consumption?
12 something hours charger unplugged SOC readout. Mileage didn't change though...

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
The vampire drain issue needs to be fixed. Not sure what kind of gaming PC hardware we got running on the Rivian 24/7 buts its too much. I guestimate about 300W just sitting there. Im one of the pricks who flipped a Rivian R1T for a fat profit and ended up with a F150 Lightning. I have another R1T on order... everything about it is better than the Ford except for the vampire drain. It kills the deal for me. The Ford has zero perceivable vampire drain but no cool features like gear guard. If the Rivian could be geofenced to go into deep sleep while at home that would be great.
So the Lightning has no tick/tock half shafts then? Seems that would also be better. 🤔

Hindley_Milner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Seeing what appears to be improved battery drain since the 2022.43.02 update pushed to my truck. I am seeing a lot of rebounding (battery level goes up!) after drives but I seem to be losing less than 1%/day now, instead of 2-2.5% a day.

I installed the update the morning of Dec 5 about 7am.

Rivian R1T R1S Any tests done on Vampire battery drain? Screenshot 2022-12-08 at 2.48.17 PM

jbronkoR1T

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure
Occupation
Music&Tech
Don't know if it's been covered, but does "camp mode" help this problem?

Sponsored

md11phlyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T White/Quad/Adv 22s, Cessna 310Q
I travel for work and am seeing less than 1% per 24 hour period with it sitting at the airport with gear guard on. Not much less but less.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I travel for work and am seeing less than 1% per 24 hour period with it sitting at the airport with gear guard on. Not much less but less.
Thats great, would be amazing if thats the case but doesn't seem to be for everyone!

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Spoke with service about this this week and they said -3%/day in MI cold weather was "normal" but then also talked about how the 12v system couldn't last for 10 days without the car being woken up which contradicts what others here have said and what I would expect a 12v system to handle.

Has anyone seen any memo from Rivian regarding how we should store these things when unplugged?
Mine sat just fine at the airport for 10 days but what would have happened if the EV spaces were full when I arrived?

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Clubs

Seeing what appears to be improved battery drain since the 2022.43.02 update pushed to my truck. I am seeing a lot of rebounding (battery level goes up!) after drives but I seem to be losing less than 1%/day now, instead of 2-2.5% a day.

I installed the update the morning of Dec 5 about 7am.

Screenshot 2022-12-08 at 2.48.17 PM.png
Thanks for reporting your measurements. What are the ambient temperatures?

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Clubs