Sponsored

Any tests done on Vampire battery drain?

cnr1089

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Software Engineer
That sucks. I suggest do a test run with shipping mode before your trip.

I probably misunderstand what yo are saying but how can you leave it at 100% if there are no chargers around? I do the math with the charge you need to get to the closes charger and assume you loose 3KWh a day and add 10 KW additional safety and see how much you have to leave it at.
yeah, the 100% question was sort of unrelated. If I am ever in a position where i have to leave it off a charger for a month or more and a worried that it will drain to 0 and need towing, how do I handle it. In the case of my camping trip, it looks like I will have to do some slow charging closer to my destination so I have some wiggle room on the way home with my reduced SOC. I donā€™t need gear guard or anything exciting when I leave my car, I but I will be out of cell range and far away from a tow truck, so I donā€™t want to be bricked out in the desert.
Sponsored

momo3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air, 718 Spyder
Mine has been in my garage (unplugged, around 68F) since 6/7, left with 59% (176 miles), today (10 days later) it is 39% (117). Not loving that, but I can deal, but it makes me REALLY nervous for my week long canoe trip in Utah next month where there are no chargers near by and my truck has to sit in the sun for 7 days (I might try shipping mode when I leave it). That being said, if leaving it at 100% is bad, but it drains at over 2%/day on its own, is leaving it at 100% really bad?
Were you in a situation where for the past 10 days, everytime you walk past the car in the garage your phone key wakes it up?

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
yeah, the 100% question was sort of unrelated. If I am ever in a position where i have to leave it off a charger for a month or more and a worried that it will drain to 0 and need towing, how do I handle it. In the case of my camping trip, it looks like I will have to do some slow charging closer to my destination so I have some wiggle room on the way home with my reduced SOC. I donā€™t need gear guard or anything exciting when I leave my car, I but I will be out of cell range and far away from a tow truck, so I donā€™t want to be bricked out in the desert.
I think the way R1 is today, it is not for the independent minded. You have to think of it as a pet that you will have your neighbor with a ligtning come and feed while you are out. However if 100% charging, keeps you from being stranded, I would do it. My understanding is the level of damage is directly related to how much time battery spends at higher state of charge. If you charge everyday to 100%, it is like putting a 1000 electrons one one side of the wall kicking it every day, after couple of years that wall is going to look mighty rough. But if you do it only once before your trip, thanks to R1ā€™s big leak, by day 5, you only have 900 electrons kicking the wall, 800 by day 10. So there are not as many days on high SOC. I am not a chemist or electrical engineer but this is how my simple mind makes sense of it.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Not loving that, but I can deal, but it makes me REALLY nervous for my week long canoe trip in Utah next month where there are no chargers near by and my truck has to sit in the sun for 7 days (I might try shipping mode when I leave it). That being said, if leaving it at 100% is bad, but it drains at over 2%/day on its own, is leaving it at 100% really bad?
Don't worry about it as there is no way you can get it to your campsite with 100% charge on it unless you have it brought in on a trailer. We'd need to see some actual numbers e.g. how far it is from the campsite to the nearest charger. Let's say it's 50 mi. You would stop at the nearest charger and charge it to 100% then drive to the campsite. To be conservative let's assume that this takes 500 Wh/mi so you will use 25 kWh getting there meaning you will have 120 - 25 = 95 kWh which is 79% SoC when you get there. Now go fishing for 7 d the chargeratays and assume vampire loss of 2.5 kWh/da for a total of 17.5 kWh and you will have 120 - 25 - 17.5 kWh left upon departing from the campsite to return to the charger. That trip will use another 25 so you arrive back at the charger with 120 - 25 - 17.5 - 25 = 52.5 kWh margin. That's 44% SoC.

If you want to live dangerously; the distance from charger to campsite that would get you back to the charger at 0% SoC is 102.5 miles at 2.5 kWh/da. Thus it appears that as long as the campsite is less than 100 miles from the nearest charger it's feasible but, of course, you need to be certain of what your phantom drain is and you need to be certain that you consume less than 500 Wh/mi in getting between campsite and charger.

Sponsored

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
I am wondering if there have been any (comprehensive) testing of vampire battery drain when a Rivian is parked for an expanded period of time (over 2 weeks)?
Rivian took my R1T back to the Atlanta Service center last weekend, to work on the A/C. Tracked the battery range from the app from Saturday - Tuesday 6/18 to 6/21. From the tracking in the app, the truck set in the parking lot over that time, always in the same spot. (its not painful at all to see your new R1T setting in a parking lot for 4 days untouched, 250 miles away......)

When I checked on 6/22, the tracking map showed the truck in a building, the app showed it being hooked to charger, apparently Rivian was working on the A/C at this time. (The service tech texted me to tell me the freon was low later that afternoon, and they were checking for leaks.) I left the Gear guard turned on, but don't know for sure that Rivian didn't turn it off, will check for videos when I get the truck back tomorrow.

Over these 3 days, I lost ~6 miles of range per day. Data is a little noisy, prob should have taken more data points.

Rivian R1T R1S Any tests done on Vampire battery drain? 1656018824391

Reactions: Max

NeuronBasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X7, VW Taos
Clubs

Another random data point. I charged to 70% and unplugged my truck last Wednesday before going on a trip. Truck has been sitting in my garage since then and is at 62% right now after roughly 5 days so I'm losing around 1.6% per day. That seems to track pretty well with what other folks are reporting at this point.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
So my truck has been sitting in my garage plugged in since Saturday night. It charged up Sunday morning and hasn't been used since. According to my chargepoint app, the truck has had almost 10 KW added between Monday morning and today. So its losing a little more than 3.3 KW per day.

• Sad

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
So my truck has been sitting in my garage plugged in since Saturday night. It charged up Sunday morning and hasn't been used since. According to my chargepoint app, the truck has had almost 10 KW added between Monday morning and today. So its losing a little more than 3.3 KW per day.
Do you lose the same amount unplugged or it has a tendency to nibble on electrons more frequently sitting at a all you can eat buffet table?

p.s. You mean 10 KW since Sunday morning, right?

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Do you lose the same amount unplugged or it has a tendency to nibble on electrons more frequently sitting at a all you can eat buffet table?

p.s. You mean 10 KW since Sunday morning, right?
I'm not counting Sunday morning because it added almost 40 KW from the drive on Saturday. I haven't tested it unplugged yet.

Sponsored

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Didn't touch the truck at all yesterday, and confirmed it charged 3.4 kW this morning.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I kept getting e-mails saying that wall box was initiating charges. Check showed a charge starting every 5 - 7 minutes but each charge was only a few hudred Wh. I also noticed that these charges started at about the time I was showing the truck to my landscaping guy. Aha! Turns out we walked away from it without ever shutting the doors or gear tunnel. So that's one way to get phantom drain of 10 kWh per day.

Make sure everything is closed and latched!

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
There's still more. After enjoying a day without an e-mail they started up again. This time it was because I, spoiled by Tesla, did not keep in mind that YOU close the doors in an R1T. The truck does not do it for you the way the Teslas do so make sure you do get the doors completely shut. If you don't you'll get 10% phantom drain. Each time you do close them properly you will be rewarded with a solid "thunk" that tells you that you have a well built vehicle.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
If it is not asleep it will do all the stuff it does when not asleep whether plugged in or not. If plugged in it will maintain battery at 70% (or 85 or 100) and the deadband is very small resulting in a charge starting every few (5 - 10) minutes. If not plugged in the consumption is apparently the same and can amount to the huge numbers that people have reported here (5 - 10% per day). "Normal" (asleep) seems to be about 1% (2 -3 miles) overnight.

To prevent charging every few minutes (Rivian really needs to increase the deadband to a couple of percent) set up scheduled charging. The truck will hold off any charging until the scheduled time is reached. Thus once per day you will replace 24 hrs worth of phantom drain (~2% ā‰ˆ 2.5 kWh) in ā‰ˆ 15 minutes rather than in 100 mini charges of a fraction of a minute.

Note that sitting in the truck fiddling with settings, planning routes, listening to the radio, running the A/C... all use up energy and doing so increases the phantom drain.

Finally, my nerdy self feels he must point out that the car doesn't sip electrons. It sips energy. That energy is used to move electrons already in the battery from the cathode to the anode. They return to the cathode during discharge releasing energy to the motors (and other loads).

Last edited:

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I am surprised Rivian does not have a lighter version of this in the shop already. An accessory you could include in bed or inside R1S for those solo iffy adventure trips. At 2.7 KW peak output it could beat R1 power leak.

Rivian R1T R1S Any tests done on Vampire battery drain? 1657022638385
Sponsored