Sponsored

Any tests done on Vampire battery drain?

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Whoah whoah whoah. The pinnacle of American engineering, Harley Davidson, still uses standard hardware.
My old Oldsmobile (GM) from 21 years ago was metric.
Sponsored

Deleted member 7086

‘Thanks for sharing. Do you know what your 24 hr or overnight loss is when you sign out of the app?
I do not know what the loss is but my guess is the proximity sensor is Bluetooth but the actual communication between the phone/app and truck is cellular. When I look at my phone battery usage the Rivian app usage is fairly small but the phone cellular usage is large. I suspect the constant cell communication back and forth is draining the batteries at both ends. The exterior door lights remaining on is probably due to the communication not letting the truck fully go to sleep. But what do I know? I am certainly not an electrical engineer.🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Max

Lsthrz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S, 2012 LR4
Occupation
Geologist
BS. Teslas have never swallowed as much juice (kwh) as these Rivians are. You would need to have Sentry on and Cabin temp protection on in the sun on a sweltering summer day to come anywhere close. Rivian needs to fix it. Stop making excuses for them.
My experience with my Model S has been that vampire drain was just as bad in 2017 when I got it as the R1T is now. There were just as many threads moaning over 'vampire drain' back then. The good news is that it got significantly better over time via Tesla OTAs - let's count on Rivian making the same improvements. The latest firmware has already improves the idle drain for me by roughly 50%.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
So, fob in faraday case, PAK off, no gear guard, latest update.....1% drain per day. I can live with this. :cool:

Edit: and vehicle sits outside under a carport, 100-103 degree temps here in South Texas for the last week.

Gabe1aron

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Nurse Anesthetist
I drove a Ford Mustang Mach-E for the last week since my Tesla was at the body shop. This car had ZERO vampire drain. I left it outside for 3 nights without charging and its SOC did not change at all over night. Thats better than my Tesla which will lose about 1% overnight which is better than the Rivian. So it’s possible to get that under control.
remember, the squeeky wheel gets the grease. Keep harping at Rivian and they will address this.

Sponsored

momo3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air, 718 Spyder
No issues with drain on my R1T. I left my car at a hotel parking lot overnight at 238 and the next day it was 241! 😂 Not sure how that happened lol

But in all seriousness, on 2022.19 i think if you keep your phone key far away and have gear guard off, and don't wake the car from app, it seems to drain very little if at all.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
No issues with drain on my R1T. I left my car at a hotel parking lot overnight at 238 and the next day it was 241! 😂 Not sure how that happened lol

But in all seriousness, on 2022.19 i think if you keep your phone key far away and have gear guard off, and don't wake the car from app, it seems to drain very little if at all.
What was the average temp when you experienced this minimal drain/gain?

momo3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air, 718 Spyder
What was the average temp when you experienced this minimal drain/gain?
Daytime was high 70s, nighttime was 40s F

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck

Very interesting. I am thinking R1T may get talkative and develop insomnia when it is at home and close to WiFi. Do you mind letting us know how it does at home?

Freshturk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
We’ve been on vacation and I have not touched the vehicle since 6/10. I’ve opened the app twice but force closed before it showed that the vehicle woke whether or not it truly did not wake I’m not sure of. Anyways I left it at 70% and it’s now at 63%. It’s in a garage so nothing should be impacting the drain.

Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
We’ve been on vacation and I have not touched the vehicle since 6/10. I’ve opened the app twice but force closed before it showed that the vehicle woke whether or not it truly did not wake I’m not sure of. Anyways I left it at 70% and it’s now at 63%. It’s in a garage so nothing should be impacting the drain.
1.8 KWh a day is a bit rich for me. We all need to park at the hotel @momo3605 parks at.

Last edited:

momo3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air, 718 Spyder
Very interesting. I am thinking R1T may get talkative and develop insomnia when it is at home and close to WiFi. Do you mind letting us know how it does at home?
Yea at the time I had not even connected wifi and it was off. I will re-test with wifi on at home and let you know

cnr1089

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Software Engineer
Mine has been in my garage (unplugged, around 68F) since 6/7, left with 59% (176 miles), today (10 days later) it is 39% (117). Not loving that, but I can deal, but it makes me REALLY nervous for my week long canoe trip in Utah next month where there are no chargers near by and my truck has to sit in the sun for 7 days (I might try shipping mode when I leave it). That being said, if leaving it at 100% is bad, but it drains at over 2%/day on its own, is leaving it at 100% really bad?

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Mine has been in my garage (unplugged, around 68F) since 6/7, left with 59% (176 miles), today (10 days later) it is 39% (117). Not loving that, but I can deal, but it makes me REALLY nervous for my week long canoe trip in Utah next month where there are no chargers near by and my truck has to sit in the sun for 7 days (I might try shipping mode when I leave it). That being said, if leaving it at 100% is bad, but it drains at over 2%/day on its own, is leaving it at 100% really bad?
Well it's not literally 100% that's bad, it's anything close to it. However, a worse and more immediate problem is being stranded, so I'd leave it at the highest SoC needed to give you comfortable range assuming that loss.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck

That sucks. I suggest do a test run with shipping mode before your trip.

I probably misunderstand what yo are saying but how can you leave it at 100% if there are no chargers around? I do the math with the charge you need to get to the closes charger and assume you loose 3KWh a day and add 10 KW additional safety and see how much you have to leave it at.
Sponsored