Sponsored

Any tests done on Vampire battery drain?

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

It wasn't pre-cooled. Started out at around 55*F. I know that makes a difference and would pre-cool it for actual trip. So, this would not be a "good" test. It was down to the set temp in about an hour, though, and it didn't look like it used much power during that 1st hour.
It's also my understanding that using the 120V over the 12V will uses more power due to the inverter, so that's not ideal. Sure wish there was a 12V outlet in the bed.
Yeah getting down to temp would eat up a bunch.

I remember someone that was going to use a small freezer with the 12v and cycle ice packs for a cooler. Also an option.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Sure wish there was a 12V outlet in the bed
You are not the only one.

The rectifier is going to be around 90% efficient so it's not a big deal but it might be worth it at a stationary camp site, to run a 12V extension cord from the gear tunnel.

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
You are not the only one.

The rectifier is going to be around 90% efficient so it's not a big deal but it might be worth it at a stationary camp site, to run a 12V extension cord from the gear tunnel.
Yes, I thought about plugging in to 12V through the gear tunnel as an option. We actually have a large Bluetti with solar panels that we're planning to use when boon-docking for all the camp power to avoid using the Rivian battery. But, it would be nice to just use the Rivian power when possible, of course.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Did a 7 hour test with the 120V outlets on while running our 12V fridge in the bed. Wanted to see how an off-grid camping trip might impact battery drain. What were seeing is after 7 hours is it used 6% and 18 miles. Yikes! That means for 24 hours we're looking at 20.6% and 61.7 miles. Wait...what?? šŸ˜¬
For what it's worth I ran a likely smaller fridge, heated blanket and some string lights (all on 120V) on an overnight mission to Ochoco NF and over 10 hours I only lost ~3% SOC and since I would lose ~2% over the same time without anything running I clearly saw different results than you.

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
For what it's worth I ran a likely smaller fridge, heated blanket and some string lights (all on 120V) on an overnight mission to Ochoco NF and over 10 hours I only lost ~3% SOC and since I would lose ~2% over the same time without anything running I clearly saw different results than you.
YES!! I saw your post and was quite impressed and surprised!! It's got me wondering why I'm seeing such a difference between our Rivs?

Sponsored

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I believe there are two places in the front of the bed to pass thru a 12v wire from the gear tunnel.
I pulled the plastic front bed panel off (8 10mm bolts) and saw two sealed holes that may go thru to the gear tunnel. They look to be sealed at factory and couldnā€™t confirm they go completely through as I have a loaner and didnā€™t want to puncture the seal.
Rivian R1T R1S Any tests done on Vampire battery drain? 87C342A1-56EE-4F38-A162-20EA2B6F6787

TheIglu

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
That leads me to a question I hesitated to ask my guide.

Is Rivian all metric hardware?

(a domestic... using metric... that's the dream right there.....)

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
That leads me to a question I hesitated to ask my guide.

Is Rivian all metric hardware?

(a domestic... using metric... that's the dream right there.....)
Domestics have been using metric hardware for decades.

TheIglu

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
Shows how long it's been since I've owned one.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
It really depends on the quality of the fridge. The Dometic I have will only pull an average of 10w per hour (on 12v, probably closer to 15w on 120v). That's 240w per 24 hours, or only 0.2% of the battery. A quality 12v fridge has little to no impact on range.

Sponsored

HB R1T

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Director of Sales
BS. Teslas have never swallowed as much juice (kwh) as these Rivians are. You would need to have Sentry on and Cabin temp protection on in the sun on a sweltering summer day to come anywhere close. Rivian needs to fix it. Stop making excuses for them.
I agree. I have a model y and went to Portugal for 2 weeks and the battery only drained 2%. Rivian drains 1-2% every night.

HB R1T

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Director of Sales
Iā€™ve noticed a good improvement in drain since the 2022.19 update. About 2kwh or 1.5% per 24hrs. This is 2-3 times less than what I was seeing before. Still not great but getting better. I mean 2-3kwh is still a serious amount of power! Like running my home central ac for an hour. I have everything off including proximity unlock at home.

It is much ā€œquieterā€ at rest than before. Sometimes Iā€™d walk by and hear random fans and pumps running when itā€™s just sitting there for hours. But that has stopped since the update.

One curious thing is it still reacts to me approaching with my phone, even with proximity unlock off. First I walked up without the phone to see if it did anything and nothing happened. So then I grabbed my phone from the house and walked up to it again. As I approach with the phone the rear taillight blips on and off and then I hear some actuators in the front doing something. However the doors remain locked.

Seems to me some systems could still be better optimized for ā€œsleep modeā€. A good improvement but keep those updates coming!

Edit: Trouble attaching a video showing the activity when approaching with a phone and proximity unlock set to ā€œoff at homeā€ :-(
Uses Bluetooth for proximity unlock I think so maybe audio connection triggers wake?ā€¦

Deleted member 7086

Donā€™t know if this is a factor but my R1Tā€™s external door handle lights, when the vehicle is unlocked in my garage, oftentimes do not time out. Sometimes they stay on all night. It seems to be related to the vehicle being ā€œfullyā€ asleep or not. When signed into the Rivian app on my iPhone it appears the truck and the app continue to communicate all night draining the phone battery severely and the lights staying on. Signing out of the app and closing it seems to allow the truck to fully go to sleep and the door lights to time out. Does make you wonder how much electrical drain the continuous communication causes the truck. Needing to sign out of the app certainly limits the phoneā€™s usefulness as a key.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Donā€™t know if this is a factor but my R1Tā€™s external door handle lights, when the vehicle is unlocked in my garage, oftentimes do not time out. Sometimes they stay on all night. It seems to be related to the vehicle being ā€œfullyā€ asleep or not. When signed into the Rivian app on my iPhone it appears the truck and the app continue to communicate all night draining the phone battery severely and the lights staying on. Signing out of the app and closing it seems to allow the truck to fully go to sleep and the door lights to time out. Does make you wonder how much electrical drain the continuous communication causes the truck. Needing to sign out of the app certainly limits the phoneā€™s usefulness as a key.
ā€˜Thanks for sharing. Do you know what your 24 hr or overnight loss is when you sign out of the app?