Sponsored

Any tests done on Vampire battery drain?

pinkydemon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CRV
The manual also says when convenience power is on that “A visual indicator appears in the center of the status bar”. This is why I assume from context that convenience power = AC outlets

AC power off:

EE272B77-AE6B-465F-8185-F3A871405FEF.jpeg

AC power on:

091091C6-D8C7-42F9-B50C-E6212355407C.jpeg
Interesting. Thanks for looking into this. Yeah, I think you might be right. I guess convenience power would indicate using the 120v power. I would say strange use of wording at best by Rivian there.
Sponsored

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
So i've been logging my drain for a few days and here's what i've found so far. I'll continue to log this data.

Night (6pm - 8am) - Lost 2% overnight (5 Miles) - Truck was Garaged
Morning (8am - 12:30pm) - Lost 1% (2 Miles) - Truck outside direct sun, 85F
Lunch to off work (1:30pm - 6pm) - Lost 1% (2 Miles) - Truck outside mostly shade, 80F

So looks like I lose about 4% (9 - 10 Miles) idle everyday

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
So i've been logging my drain for a few days and here's what i've found so far. I'll continue to log this data.

Night (6pm - 8am) - Lost 2% overnight (5 Miles) - Truck was Garaged
Morning (8am - 12:30pm) - Lost 1% (2 Miles) - Truck outside direct sun, 85F
Lunch to off work (1:30pm - 6pm) - Lost 1% (2 Miles) - Truck outside mostly shade, 80F

So looks like I lose about 4% (9 - 10 Miles) idle everyday
Really appreciate you sharing this.

Does anyone know if Rivian is working on this? or it is "normal"? there is no point in holding my breath for R1S if that is how it will be for the life of the vehicle. This is as important as an accurate window for my planning.

Jtg11

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, R1S, Mustang Mach E GT, Audi Q5,
Clubs

I was gone for 10 days and everything was off, including HVAC. No gear Guard and no one in house to accidentally walk by and unlock and activate any systems. My SoC dropped from 70% to 35%. Averaged 3.5% per day. I put in a service ticket. They called back and asked if I was still having the issue and I am. So they know about it for sure.

pinkydemon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CRV
I was gone for 10 days and everything was off, including HVAC. No gear Guard and no one in house to accidentally walk by and unlock and activate any systems. My SoC dropped from 70% to 35%. Averaged 3.5% per day. I put in a service ticket. They called back and asked if I was still having the issue and I am. So they know about it for sure.
That's nuts. No way can you take this camping for more than a couple of days. Please keep us posted.

Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
It looks like it may not be just you so it may take longer to fix. Hopefully it is just a careless software booboo they can fix. If it is a design decision they consider necessary, you may be stuck wasting a ton of energy for the rest of your ownership and the rest of us have to make a decision if we want to go through with the purchase. The fact that they called back is a good sign that the ticket is not forgotten. I hope more people submit a ticket for this so it becomes statistically significant for them.

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
One thing i noticed this weekend after using my camp speaker. When the speaker was placed back in the dock and the truck locked and powered off my phone was still connecting to the camp speaker, even hours later.

Seems to me like the speaker is always on, even docked. I'm wondering if it's charging during that time as well.

Reactions: Max

danielvdm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I was camping in Moab this weekend and went from 34% to 26% overnight one night... Not super fun being out there and stressing about battery (and also not having a good DC fast charger in the area). I had Gear Guard off. The car was super loud a lot of the time. My one theory is that I had turned on the AC via the app a few days before and the car just defaults to keeping it on until you turn that off on the app (I believe I've read that somewhere on this forum before). I noticed because when I was charging the truck in Moab, I checked my phone to check on the charging session and noticed i could "turn off" the climate - I hadn't turned it in on other than a few days prior. Doing some testing now at home unplugged to see if it's better. If the AC really does work like that that is a tragically poorly designed feature. Either way, 8% range loss overnight while camping is sketchy beyond belief.

danielvdm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
One thing i noticed this weekend after using my camp speaker. When the speaker was placed back in the dock and the truck locked and powered off my phone was still connecting to the camp speaker, even hours later.

Seems to me like the speaker is always on, even docked. I'm wondering if it's charging during that time as well.
No chance that has any meaningful effect on range. The camp speaker is likely a ~30wH battery (0.002% of your truck's battery).

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
I was camping in Moab this weekend and went from 34% to 26% overnight one night... Not super fun being out there and stressing about battery (and also not having a good DC fast charger in the area). I had Gear Guard off. The car was super loud a lot of the time. My one theory is that I had turned on the AC via the app a few days before and the car just defaults to keeping it on until you turn that off on the app (I believe I've read that somewhere on this forum before). I noticed because when I was charging the truck in Moab, I checked my phone to check on the charging session and noticed i could "turn off" the climate - I hadn't turned it in on other than a few days prior. Doing some testing now at home unplugged to see if it's better. If the AC really does work like that that is a tragically poorly designed feature. Either way, 8% range loss overnight while camping is sketchy beyond belief.
I guess until they fix this, the Rivian is a “one night” adventure vehicle? 😒

Sponsored

danielvdm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Did some testing last night. AC was off. Proximity unlock was off. Gear Guard was off. Lost 4% overnight sitting in my garage....

Rivian R1T R1S Any tests done on Vampire battery drain? IMG_0582.PNG
Rivian R1T R1S Any tests done on Vampire battery drain? IMG_0581.PNG

Last edited:

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
No chance that has any meaningful effect on range. The camp speaker is likely a ~30wH battery (0.002% of your truck's battery).
It is low chance but I wouldn't say no chance. There could always be a smi-short (a leak) in speaker circuits. It would not hurt to leave it out in nightly tests just to confirm that it has no impact.

I have read reports of 5-10 KWh loss a day. I consider even 1 KWh high. I hope this is on top of Rivian Fix list.

Last edited:

JamesPolk24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
It is low chance but I wouldn't say no chance. There could always be a smi-short (a leak) in speaker circuits. It would not hurt to leave it out in nightly tests just to confirm that it has no impact.

I have read reports of 5-10 KWh loss a day. I consider even 1 KWh high. I hope this is on top of Rivian Fix list.
Agree. 1kwh is approximately 100 iPhones fully charged. My iphone is sending/receiving/listening/gps/cell connection to towers/connected to wifi and has no issue lasting an entire day. 1 KW is generous. Right not it's just a monstrous and ridiculous waste. Hopefully the extreme battery conditioning that it's doing is not necessary and they can fix this. No other EVs, even the worst Teslas of the past with Sentry mode were as bad. Every other manufacturer doesn't experience anywhere close to this type of drain. Most are negligible.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

About 19.5 hours unplugged in the garage - down roughly 1% and 3 miles

much better than I remember seeing on previous versions.
Progress

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

I just got the update and was one with significant nightly loss. We will see what tomorrow brings.
Rivian R1T R1S Any tests done on Vampire battery drain? 553DC695-E167-4BC2-8214-7CC767AFAEA1
Sponsored