Sponsored

Any tests done on Vampire battery drain?

guernsej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Raptor; 2015 X5
love all these armchair EEs.
Are you an EE? Do you have experience designing low voltage automotive system architectures? Do you realize you're comparing apples and oranges?

R1s aren't 3D folding proteins in their sleep. The issue is almost certainly excessive wake cycles and overly stringent environmental conditioning for the battery, not GPUs running all night powering cameras, and these are problems that legacy manufacturers have completely solved.
Sponsored

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Actually, I can’t wait to sink my fangs into mine. I’ll let you know the results when it arrives. 🧛‍♂️🩸

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

not GPUs running all night powering cameras
then how does gear guard work? Has anyone identified any PIR sensors to initiate waking the system to record the cameras? I haven't seen any. My guess is gear guard is an afterthought and they are trying to use what they have to accomplish it, which wastes a lot of energy.

Automotive electronics no, low power embedded systems, running off of a finite battery power supply, yes. Including an attempt to do motion detection via camera on an 800mhz arm processor, pretty much pegs the cpu.

if you have gear guard enabled (as in the 10kWh example), there is no sleeping to have excessive wake cycles.

guernsej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Raptor; 2015 X5
if you have gear guard enabled (as in the 10kWh example), there is no sleeping to have excessive wake cycles.
That's not true, most ECU nodes should be asleep even with gear guard on - that's the whole point of CAN bus. If sleep implementation wasn't an issue Rivian wouldn't be addressing it with their updates.

For a company that markets itself as "Preserving the natural world. Forever." and making "Vehicles made for the planet," there's no rationalizing using up to a third of average US daily household consumption for them to just sit overnight. Current implementation is wasteful and counter to their mission of making the world more sustainable regardless of anyone's comparisons to incandescent light bulbs, gaming laptops, or home air conditioners.

Last edited:

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Current implementation is wasteful and counter to their mission of making the world more sustainable
Nowhere did I state that it wasn't wasteful or counter to their mission. I'm saying it isn't unexpected , or unreasonable, for what they are doing with the current platform.

I'm sure the next revision of the vehicle will include more sensors to allow for a better gear guard experience.

Sponsored

guernsej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Raptor; 2015 X5
Nowhere did I state that it wasn't wasteful or counter to their mission. I'm saying it isn't unexpected , or unreasonable, for what they are doing with the current platform.
Sure, but you're keyed in on gear guard and I'm fairly certain that's not the primary culprit here. If it was, turning it off would make this problem go away, and by all reports that's not the case.

Unless, of course, they unexpectedly and unreasonably designed and implemented a system that remains powered on when off, which I would like to reiterate would be an unexpected and unreasonable example of bad engineering.

JamesPolk24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Nice. Someone had mentioned that Rivian likes the pack around 70, so most of the “drain” is probably due to battery management. Need to give it a wider range of temp before the cooling/heating of the pack maybe?
The amount of vampire drain is definitely due to battery management. It must be overzealous though in keeping a narrow range when truck is off and idle. Lithium ion is not THAT delicate. There isn't an issue with letting the 2170 cells get to 35° or 95°F when sitting idle. There will be SOME temperature management in severe extremes. When vehicle is started or plugged in, they can limit current rate based on battery temperature until it's conditioned. Think of the "snowflake" on Teslas. That's why they do it. If battery is cold-soaked from sitting idle in freezing temps all night, there is limited acceleration and regen until the battery has been warmed to the proper temperature for the current rate. It's a complete waste to be conditioning the battery to nominal temperatures 24/7. I'm hoping this is something Rivian fixes and soon.

JamesPolk24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Sure, but you're keyed in on gear guard and I'm fairly certain that's not the primary culprit here. If it was, turning it off would make this problem go away, and by all reports that's not the case.

Unless, of course, they unexpectedly and unreasonably designed and implemented a system that remains powered on when off, which I would like to reiterate would be an unexpected and unreasonable example of bad engineering.
Agree. Battery powered Ring type cameras are always on watch and consume a fraction of watt per hour. (23wh battery lasts 2-4 months depending on activity) - It's also NOT gear guard since disabling gear guard doesn't solve the problem. As you said, it doesn't make sense either based on the amount of loss. Surely Rivian is aware with all the R1Ts they have waiting for delivery.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
The amount of vampire drain is definitely due to battery management. It must be overzealous though in keeping a narrow range when truck is off and idle. Lithium ion is not THAT delicate. There isn't an issue with letting the 2170 cells get to 35° or 95°F when sitting idle. There will be SOME temperature management in severe extremes. When vehicle is started or plugged in, they can limit current rate based on battery temperature until it's conditioned. Think of the "snowflake" on Teslas. That's why they do it. If battery is cold-soaked from sitting idle in freezing temps all night, there is limited acceleration and regen until the battery has been warmed to the proper temperature for the current rate. It's a complete waste to be conditioning the battery to nominal temperatures 24/7. I'm hoping this is something Rivian fixes and soon.
Replacing 90,000 large battery packs during warranty is not a risk they want to take so they probably thought they would be on the safe side at our expense. I am sure many companies are working on a chemistry and construction of a battery that is more suitable for auto industry and when our battery is caput, we will be looking at how we can replace our battery with one of the ones with higher density that can put up with more abuse. For now, I really hope the update for this comes soon.

Last edited:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah, my professional Tuesday morning armchair battery management designer opinion is it seems that Rivian in general is keeping the thermal limits exceptionally narrow.

Sponsored

messinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Tech bro
Is it feasible that the (Samsung?) batteries the Rivian has are more sensitive to temperature changes than say, teslas due to different chemistry?

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

About 19.5 hours unplugged in the garage - down roughly 1% and 3 miles

much better than I remember seeing on previous versions.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Any DVR/NVR surveillance system I've ever built/worked on actually streams all feeds from all cams 24/7/365 to the recorder but only saves "motion events" if triggered by motion as analyzed from it's image sensor chip... no PIR sensors, etc.. The NVR CPU constantly analyzes frame by frame data from every feed from every cam then saves image streams as required by user "rules". This method is what allows us to "pre-record" events that actually happen before a motion trigger is activated. We don't have a magic time machine that allows us to go back in time to before something happened.. but we do have the always recording stream from every cam in the buffer or temp HD file, and it's easy to save from "trigger" -30 seconds to "Trigger" plus 30 seconds so you capture the events that lead up to the trigger event.
If Rivians Gear Guard works like all the other NVR's.. it's constantly recording and analyzing all those cams frame by frame for events- which would explain the large amount of energy used by the Gear Guard system.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
About 19.5 hours unplugged in the garage - down roughly 1% and 3 miles

much better than I remember seeing on previous versions.
I've had this suspicion for a while that if the car is plugged in its logic becomes "Hey, I''ve got shore power. I can do all this housekeeping." but if it isn't it takes a more conservtive approach. Any thoughts on that theory?

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

I've had this suspicion for a while that if the car is plugged in its logic becomes "Hey, I''ve got shore power. I can do all this housekeeping." but if it isn't it takes a more conservtive approach. Any thoughts on that theory?
I feel like it wants to, but maybe sometimes doesn't and hence some of the other drain. Looking at history of the EVSE, I had it plugged up for almost 48 hours about a week ago and it shows 6kWh delivered to the truck during that time.

I've heard the fans kick up when plugged in and it's already been "full"

Hate to say maybe to the theory, but seems could be some of the case.
Sponsored