OP
R1Sky Business

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

One thing I have found reading reviews on the Scorpion Verde (21s) is that people weren’t too happy with the treadwear. Even though it’s rated for 65k many were replacing by 30k. That’s not a problem exclusive to Pirelli - just something to keep in mind.
Is that due to being the first generation of the tire ? Or truck too heavy...
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Is that due to being the first generation of the tire ? Or truck too heavy...
That was not Rivian specific feedback. Just reading reviews from owners using them on any vehicle. Just search for Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season reviews and you’ll find plenty. With all of these tires Pirelli basically tweaked an existing tire for Rivian’s needs, so the differences should be negligible.

OP
OP
R1Sky Business

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

One thing I have found reading reviews on the Scorpion Verde (21s) is that people weren’t too happy with the treadwear. Even though it’s rated for 65k many were replacing by 30k. That’s not a problem exclusive to Pirelli - just something to keep in mind.
There are people with that much mileage already......Excellent.

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I read that myself but as these are custom sized for Rivian, and have a different load rating since these are EV tires for a heavy truck, I am wondering if the tread wear will have the same issue.

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

I had put Scorpion Verde on my XC90. While it wasn't the updated special EV compound that Pirelli says 21" Rivian tires are but the tread pattern is the same.

The tread is such that every little pebble seem to get caught in the groove and stays there. It also was poor in snow evenjhough its AW tire. I have no idea about sand or mud as I never had a need to drive on those other than a patch here and there. On the positive side, its very quiet and smooth at the highway speeds and didn't notice any premature or excessive wear. I got rid of the vehicle before needing to replace the Pirellis so I don't know how long they would have lasted in the SoCal driving.

I am Michelin tire guy (all the vehicles I've owned gets Michelin shoes when they are replaced) so I am still struggling to decide which wheel size (21 or 22) to go with. Currently there is no Michelin option for 21 but they do make Pilot EV tire for limited size. The question is will they expand to Rivian size in the future or will I be stuck with Pirelli only option with 21s...

Khaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Clubs

I would roll the dice on the 21s if there were even 1 AT tire I could replace them with if I didn’t like them. I am still baffled by this choice as their stock included tire. Why didn’t they just use a 20” AS designed for maximum range?
Totally agree. The fact that there isn't a 20" option with an AS tire sucks. It would solve lots of my issues (1. I live in a climate where I need dedicated winters and don't want to get hit with the mileage penalty during the summer that I'll get with ATs 2. I want the forged wheel).

Khaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Clubs

I had put Scorpion Verde on my XC90. While it wasn't the updated special EV compound that Pirelli says 21" Rivian tires are but the tread pattern is the same.

The tread is such that every little pebble seem to get caught in the groove and stays there. It also was poor in snow evenjhough its AW tire. I have no idea about sand or mud as I never had a need to drive on those other than a patch here and there. On the positive side, its very quiet and smooth at the highway speeds and didn't notice any premature or excessive wear. I got rid of the vehicle before needing to replace the Pirellis so I don't know how long they would have lasted in the SoCal driving.

I am Michelin tire guy (all the vehicles I've owned gets Michelin shoes when they are replaced) so I am still struggling to decide which wheel size (21 or 22) to go with. Currently there is no Michelin option for 21 but they do make Pilot EV tire for limited size. The question is will they expand to Rivian size in the future or will I be stuck with Pirelli only option with 21s...
Have the XC90 and Scorpion Verdes as well and I'll echo everything you said. Those imo weren't great for winters at all.

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
No personal experience but have a look at what Sandy Munroe did with the road tires on an off road course. I was going to go with the a/t tires but after seeing what the 21s can do, I can’t imagining needing more tire. I think I’d rather have the additional range. I’ll just make sure to carry a spare since the 21s will be harder to source.
Holy shit, lol, watching him drop it on those logs. I'd somehow missed this video, it was very helpful in setting me at ease. Thanks!

Sponsored

tmmcgee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner; Mustang GT; M3; Grand Cherokee, R1T
Living out in Utah, I can say with confidence that "All Season" tires are really "3 Season" tires. I don't drive on snow with all seasons and want the 3-peak mountain snowflake icon on my tires. The 20 ATs have this snow rating.

Also, outside of my track toys, sidewalls are your friends. They not only provide a softer ride with extra cushioning, but they protect your wheels and can take more abuse from objects you may hit. Adding in the difficulty in getting the 21" size and the 20 ATs were a no brainer for me. The only question for me is when do I switch to the BFG KO2s.

Last edited:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Totally agree. The fact that there isn't a 20" option with an AS tire sucks. It would solve lots of my issues (1. I live in a climate where I need dedicated winters and don't want to get hit with the mileage penalty during the summer that I'll get with ATs 2. I want the forged wheel).
Good point on the forged wheels. I bet there will be more options in the next year or so, but until then….

HeresRonnie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Gambler
I have the 21” road tires and happened to take my truck on the beach for a afternoon of fun. Well..in sand the 21 road tire package was okay…I only got stuck once but after airing down I was able to maneuver with them. I have a set of Variant wheels and I will definitely throw on AT tires as soon as I can after this experience. I don’t think the 21” will work for me on other adventures.

Siva

First Name
Siva
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2013 Leaf S and 2006 Pilot EX-L
No personal experience but have a look at what Sandy Munroe did with the road tires on an off road course. I was going to go with the a/t tires but after seeing what the 21s can do, I can’t imagining needing more tire. I think I’d rather have the additional range. I’ll just make sure to carry a spare since the 21s will be harder to source.
I decided to stick to 21s when Sandy's off road video came out. Recently I started wondering if I should get 20s.

It would be good to see other Rivian adventures with 21s, but none to be found. So I started looking else where. After seeing what this Jeep could do with street tires, I feel like 21s are good enough for me to start off road adventures. Even if Rivian tires are less capable than this Jeep's in this video, Rivian motors might easily make up for that difference. If I feel like I really want to take on advanced trails in a year or two, I can buy set of AT 20s and use them when I go off road.

This youtuber did change to off road tires after a year because of the limitations of street tires.

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
I'm gonna try to rally the 21"s in the sand on Bear Lake this weekend. I took my pops' Explorer out on North Beach a number of years ago and put it in sand mode - holy Hell was that fun...drew quite the crowd and it performed FAR better than I expected...donuts and all. It may not happen with the Riv cause we'll be out on the boat most of the time this weekend. If I have a spare, I'll definitely be taking them to So. Utah this winter. Stay tuned...
Sponsored