Sponsored

2024 R1S more Oomph to close final door

irvineboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Hi owners, I picked up 2024 R1S. Never had issue with this on previous 2023 R1S.

My delivery guide told me when all 3 doors are closed, the 4th door takes an extra hard push to fully close it. They aren’t sure why it does this but maybe some safety mechanism. I don’t understand it myself. But I tested it and it worked. The only exception is the front passenger door. That one closes easily, even if it is the last door open. All the other doors, if they are the last one open, takes an extra hard force to fully close it. Not sure why my front passenger door doesn’t adhere to this rule. I contacted Rivian and they have heard of it but don’t have literature to back it up. Curious if other owners experienced this and if so, what they were told. My 2023 R1S didn’t have this.
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
The last door (doesn't matter which door) has always required extra effort to close in my early '23 build. It's air pressure, plain and simple. If there is an inconsistency across doors, it's because the air has found a path to escape. Could perhaps be a less air-tight seal from certain door seals or any number of other places, there probably isn't a singular answer for why. I'd recommend learning to live with it.

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (DM, MaxPack); 2023 and 2019 Bolts
The last door (doesn't matter which door) has always required extra effort to close in my early '23 build. It's air pressure, plain and simple. If there is an inconsistency across doors, it's because the air has found a path to escape. Could perhaps be a less air-tight seal from certain door seals or any number of other places, there probably isn't a singular answer for why. I'd recommend learning to live with it.
I agree with @electruck. My R1S does the same. Easiest explanation is that when all other doors are closed, there are no more big spaces to allow air to escape.

I regard this as one more manifestation of the superior "fit and finish" of my November 2023 build (last 6 of VIN = 025***). Rivian may not have achieved full consistency yet, but when Rivian is good, it is VERY VERY GOOD....

Best wishes!

OP
OP

irvineboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
@Dave Cundiff does yours do it on all four doors? I am being picky but it doesn’t apply to one of my door. Even when it is the last door and the air pressure. I will have to deal with it.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
@Dave Cundiff does yours do it on all four doors? I am being picky but it doesn’t apply to one of my door. Even when it is the last door and the air pressure. I will have to deal with it.
Probably because the seal is more worn on the drivers side door. Open the windows and all doors will be easy to close.

Sponsored

Kenmecca

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Directlineanswers.com
Vehicles
R1S; Audi A5
Occupation
Business Owner
These vehicles have tight seals, I think some vehicles will auto crack the window to accommodate for this.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Air pressure. Be the last to close your door, or crack a window, solves my issue with others babying the doors.

Conversely, I kept getting yelled at by my friend a couple weekends back for slamming his doors 🤷🏼‍♂️

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My impression is that it's all four doors, but I haven't made that observation systematically. I'll try to check in morning.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
It’s mostly due to air pressure but as the seals break in it will be better. My 2022 is almost like a “normal” car now but the passenger rear is still a little harder to close.

strangelove

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black R1S, '23 Pacifica Hybrid, '17 Grand Sport CE
Occupation
Game Developer
Clubs

It’s also because the doors are very light. The car is so heavy, Rivian seemed to try and save weight on the doors, so they don’t have as much momentum when closing. That plus the air pressure effect can make closing the last door a chore, especially for guests who’ve never been in the vehicle. Pretty common that I have to tell them to try again, hah.

Sponsored

TR1GGER

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Agreed, my '23 R1T does this as did my '17 F150. Luckily the Rivian app tells you when it's not closed. And in my experience it won't lock either, so if you don't hear the chirp, it's probably not shut all the way.

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@Jyeh74, I can confirm that all four of our R1S' doors require a harder push to close when all other doors are closed.

As others have said, that could change as the seals become more worn. Ours is still fairly new (#025***, built November 2023, delivered February 2024, currently 3993 miles).

We also have no troublesome wind noise at speeds up to 72 mph (we haven't yet driven it faster). Lucky us!

When Rivian can consistently deliver its best products, I believe they will more than justify the current prices. Consistent execution is key, though, and probably much harder than most of us know. People who pay $75-105K for a vehicle are a pretty tough crowd....

Best wishes!

FL_EV

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Occupation
retired
When I took delivery of my R1T in May 2022, I immediately noticed this concern. The first mobile tech that came out (who is now a Shop Forman) told me that it is actually a design feature due to the fact that the cabin is “water tight”. There were actually videos on Rivian’s website promoting driving the R1T in water higher than the door bottoms. When we took delivery of my wife’s R1S last August, I noticed the same effect upon closing the last door. Keeping any window slightly open will negate the need to slam the door. I can also say that after 2+ years, the door seals have not “worn in“ to make the situation any better.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Opal (our R1T) has always been a little difficult to tightly close the last door. It is the pressure inside the vehicle that causes this situation.

Brian

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
Agreed all around. I actually discussed this with a mobile technician this week and he pointed out that since our R1s don't have sunroofs, it's particularly noticeable (lots of air escapes around sunroof surrounds on BMWs where he worked for 20 years).
Sponsored