Sponsored

mroe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Clubs

As many were aware, the previous software version (2022.47) severely miscalculated total energy to the point that it was reporting total energy usage as roughly half of what it should be. This bug seems to be fixed in 2023.2.3, which allows one to calculate how much the truck is losing to vampire drain / idle energy usage.

I reset the trip meter right after updating. After 48-hours checked the numbers:

Total Distance: 65.9 mi
Duration: 3 hr 7 min
Efficiency: 1.89 mi/kWh
Total Energy: 37.9 kWh

If I'm reading this correctly, during the ~3hrs of driving, the truck used 34.9 kWh of energy. That leaves 3 kWh of total energy usage unaccounted for during the other 45 hrs of this measurement, which equals 1.6kWh of vampire drain per every idle 24 hours.

These numbers are with gear guard enabled everywhere. High of 61F and low of 39F during this time period. I didn't charge the truck during this measurement.

Overall, these numbers are in line with my anecdotal observation of 1% daily vampire drain and similar to what others have reported. It's not that big of a deal to me or enough for me to disable gear guard, but still I hope Rivian is able to further optimize and reduce idle energy usage.
Sponsored

Last edited:

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
2023.2.03 was just pushed to my truck, and I’m updating it now since I don’t need to be anywhere for a few hours. Will report back.

CascadianApe

First Name
Chet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Ops
Updating as I type this. Funny thing is I got this pushed "offered" to my R1T this morning and drove to work in turtle mode...

Gotta make sure my terminology is correct or I'll get my pee pee slapped again.

Last edited:

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
^ updates don't get "pushed".. they are "offered" with many warnings regarding loss of drivability, recommending to be at home location, etc, etc.. and you have to actively "accept" to start the update process.

fbitz777

First Name
francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T 2017MX; 2022 Ioniq5 (2)
As many were aware, the previous software version (2022.47) severely miscalculated total energy to the point that it was reporting total energy usage as roughly half of what it should be. This bug seems to be fixed in 2023.2.3, which allows one to calculate how much the truck is losing to vampire drain / idle energy usage.

I reset the trip meter right after updating. After 48-hours checked the numbers:

Total Distance: 65.9 mi
Duration: 3 hr 7 min
Efficiency: 1.89 mi/kWh
Total Energy: 37.9 kWh

If I'm reading this correctly, during the ~3hrs of driving, the truck used 34.9 kWh of energy. That leaves 3 kWh of total energy usage unaccounted for during the other 45 hrs of this measurement, which equals 1.6kWh of vampire drain per every idle 24 hours.

These numbers are with gear guard enabled everywhere. High of 61F and low of 39F during this time period. I didn't charge the truck during this measurement.

Overall, these numbers are in line with my anecdotal observation of 1% daily vampire drain and similar to what others have reported. It's not that big of a deal to me or enough for me to disable gear guard, but still I hope Rivian is able to further optimize and reduce idle energy usage.
You might want to check your methodology again.
After the current update if you take distance /efficiency you get the exact kWh and not missing energy (i.e vampire drain) see 180.9/1.83 =93.4 (this is over two days and I had plenty of vampire drain)

To get vampire drain is pretty easy. Just reset a trip counter and read energy before starting truck again.

Rivian R1T R1S 2023.2.3 software fixes trip total energy enabling accurate vampire drain calculation IMG_7613

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
Man if you were only getting 1.6kWh of drain a day WITH gear guard on you are extremely lucky or the update really improved things. I was averaging at least double that and never use gear guard.

Just got the update a couple of days ago and haven't looked that closely. But I charged to 70% the night before last and it was still plugged in since then. It looks like it kicked back on at some point last night. I didn't write anything down, but from what I remember I'm pretty sure it added another 4 kWh last night to get back to 70%.
Sponsored