Sponsored

1st deliveries in November says my Rivian Guide. Communication from RJ expected today

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150, BMW 3GT
Occupation
Business owner
Just spoke to my Guide and my delivery date is early to mid-November.

Was told we could expect a communication from RJ later today in regards to the timing. Sounds like the plan is to announce the delay and then over deliver on these new under promised delivery dates.

Sounded like early production has begun and the team is working through all of the inevitable kinks in the line.
It might be your LE edition is due in November, but there could be other buyers that get theirs sooner.....maybe? If they delay until November, my 400+ range R1T is probably freakin next August.....
Sponsored

OP
OP

KWeimer711

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 / Genesis
Occupation
Product Marketing
It might be your LE edition is due in November, but there could be other buyers that get theirs sooner.....maybe? If they delay until November, my 400+ range R1T is probably freakin next August.....
i had asked the question about different configurations getting delivered earlier as I could be swayed from Glacier White to another color or from the rims I currently have chosen to something else if it meant receiving my vehicle earlier. The response I received was along the lines of “from what we can see in terms of production order, which is mot finalized yet, I wouldn’t change a thing”.

will people get theirs before mine? Obviously. I am hopeful to be in the first 3-4 weeks of deliveries.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150, BMW 3GT
Occupation
Business owner
It's one thing when Ford says " we have 10,000 f150's sitting in a lot waiting for computers". Rivian is apparently still testing vehicles, the month when they promised the first deliveries, we still haven't seen the production UI, barely been teased by the production interior, don't know the epa range, and a a whole slew of unanswered questions about the vehicle that, up until a month and a half ago, was supposed to start shipping before august.

Pre-covid, when rivian was having public events to show the vehicles, it was exciting and expected to be a year or so out. Now that nearly every single little detail should be ironed out and set in stone, and available to see on their website and shown in walkthrough videos...

The PR is just disastrous at this point. Like many here, I've been holding out with my chevy volt, putting off a major vehicle purchase in anticipation of an LE r1t. Now I'm just considering an ICE vehicle again, and wait for the whole ev scene to mature a bit more, given the still miserable charging experience on non Tesla chargers for a long distance road trip. I'm giving it a few more months, if they delay again this fall and say "first deliveries spring 2022 ", I'm out.
Understandable. As someone with an order for a Rivian and an order for a Cybertruck....since the beginning....it really is getting old. No one tells consumers you will get your new special order couch (or insert any product) in 5-6 weeks....and then delivers it 2 years later.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150, BMW 3GT
Occupation
Business owner
i had asked the question about different configurations getting delivered earlier as I could be swayed from Glacier White to another color or from the rims I currently have chosen to something else if it meant receiving my vehicle earlier. The response I received was along the lines of “from what we can see in terms of production order, which is mot finalized yet, I wouldn’t change a thing”.

will people get theirs before mine? Obviously. I am hopeful to be in the first 3-4 weeks of deliveries.
It is B.S. to say June, oh no wait July....hold it...let's make that August.....well now it looks like November. What the heck. In May they knew if they could deliver in June. Or would need to delay to October. They knew then. Be honest.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Understandable. As someone with an order for a Rivian and an order for a Cybertruck....since the beginning....it really is getting old. No one tells consumers you will get your new special order couch (or insert any product) in 5-6 weeks....and then delivers it 2 years later.
You can't really use past expectations on delivery times these days for anything.

I was told in January 2020 that my new dash cover on my Jeep GC would be in May 2020, 4 reschedules later, I am now being told June 2022.

If the auto industry in general was anywhere near normal, you would not be seeing these insane used car prices exhibited over the last 6 months.

Sponsored

OP
OP

KWeimer711

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 / Genesis
Occupation
Product Marketing
It is B.S. to say June, oh no wait July....hold it...let's make that August.....well now it looks like November. What the heck. In May they knew if they could deliver in June. Or would need to delay to October. They knew then. Be honest.
I am in CPG as well and know all too well how things could change Quarter to Quarter, Month to Month, or even Day to Day. I believe they are doing their best to give realistic updates/timelines. I do believe they could be doing a better job at it, but we could all improve in many ways...RJ taking ownership for this and acknowledging the issue is a positive first step.

XTeslaFan

First Name
G-Money
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S 2014
So much for hoping this company would be different than Tesla with delays. Ugh guess Ford F150 it is.....

OP
OP

KWeimer711

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 / Genesis
Occupation
Product Marketing

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I’m generally content with the wait because I placed our reservation so late in the game. However, I think @intimidator comes really close to my sole criticism of the late May delay announcement. To me, Rivian isn’t doing a good job of managing expectations.

If I were communicating a delay to customers in what appears to be, but is not guaranteed to be, the waning days of a pandemic, then I would never, EVER state the delay is only 1 month. That inclination to set a reasonable expectation for the delay is multiplied many times over if I am advertising my company philosophy as under-promise and over-deliver. I would’ve taken the calculated delay and then multiplied it by some factor so this late-May communication would be the last delay announcement I’d have to make. If they’d announced a delay of, say, 4 months at the end of May instead of 1 then some people might’ve canceled their preorder before June, but it could be that some who are canceling now after another delay announced in the span of a month would be content hanging on.

if you manage to beat the longer-than-all-departments-require delay which is then multiplied by some factor before being communicated, then the perception by some will be that you delivered early. Even the most generous of us are unlikely to think that is the case if they deliver a month before their twice-delayed date.

I understand why Rivian is struggling in the current manufacturing environment and I don’t blame them for that. Managing expectations, however, is under their control. They aren’t doing themselves any favors by violating under-promise and over-deliver multiple times after setting that as the expectation. Just my $0.02.

Sponsored

OP
OP

KWeimer711

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 / Genesis
Occupation
Product Marketing
Yeah but that's an understandable excuse. Rivian has no excuse or does not share with us.
Just because you do not understand it (or because they haven't shared the details surrounding the delay) doesnt make it a non-valid reason for the delay(s). There is a global chipset shortage (that I know all too much about) and they are still a start up working on their first vehicles while dramatically ramping up internal resources.

Jordan VanderLaan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Escape
I think @WheeledLife has some inside info, and I too have heard other rumors. Rivian is not where they need to be yet, and some of this is squarely on them.

It's understandable, but hopefully there are lessons learned that they will address instead of pointing fingers outward.

Agreed, Rivian is having production readiness problems, keeping it quiet and blaming supply chain issues. They may very well have supply chain issues as well, but there are readiness problems that are not public. It’s wise of RJ to choose to deal with additional delays rather than the black eye of trucks delivered that have fit, finish, performance and software issues.
As a buyer I would rather wait for those issues to be resolved also.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Eh, can't really state it's all BS. In part, Rivian may have had 0 control over the delays that has occurred. The real problem is how they're going around communicating about it. If they're hitting a snag, they shouldn't wait till the absolute last minute to post info about it and push the delay 1 week/month. I'd rather hear them say they'll push it out till November and surprise us early than have them push back at the last minute, then do it again, and again, and again.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
No one tells consumers you will get your new special order couch (or insert any product) in 5-6 weeks....and then delivers it 2 years later.
You obviously haven't ordered anything from West Elm. And I've had to argue with Ashley furniture for 6 months just for an *in stock* item. Which we never got after getting fed up and trying to cancel multiple times. :LOL:

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
They aren’t doing themselves any favors by violating under-promise and over-deliver multiple times after setting that as the expectation.
The fanboi’s will say they haven’t “promised” us anything. Because, you know, we never pinky-sweared on it, or they had their fingers crossed, or they put some fine print disclaimer somewhere. ?
Sponsored