Sponsored

1st deliveries in November says my Rivian Guide. Communication from RJ expected today

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
Has anyone spoken to CS or a guide about how this latest delay effects the "completion of R1T LE deliveries by spring 2022"?
Sponsored

WheeledLife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Juiced HyperScorpion
Occupation
Thinker
I don’t think anybody has experienced what we are going thru now. I have a brother in-law who deals in agricultural equipment and manufacturing. It’s brutal right now. The supply chain is f&$ked. How could RJ have it all figured out if two weeks before his launch date he gets news that his parts are again delayed. Maybe, just maybe he’s getting the whole. It will be there “soon” line
From my experience, comparing automotive OEM supply chain to ag or health is apples to oranges and grapes. If you're batting 170 in Class A, you will never play shortstop for the Dodgers. Suppliers in the show do not survive with flexible or ambiguous delivery schedules. Placing the blame for Rivian's sales launch delays on others is misguided.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
From my experience, comparing automotive OEM supply chain to ag or health is apples to oranges and grapes. If you're batting 170 in Class A, you will never play shortstop for the Dodgers. Suppliers in the show do not survive with flexible or ambiguous delivery schedules. Placing the blame for Rivian's sales launch delays on others is misguided.
Pretending that Rivian is immune to the supply chain issues stymying every other manufacturer is equally misguided. Yeah, they might also have issues with the line, delivery/service readiness, or other things more in their control, but it’s not unimaginable that supply chain is at least a contributing factor.

Last edited:

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
It’s happening all over. Have you had to order any appliances or furniture at all. The only misguided aspect is people knowing what should be normal during a pandemic

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
If this wasn’t happening all over the world to all sorts of businesses than I would be more worried about Rivian

Sponsored

Kolbs11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Traverse and Chevrolet Impala
Occupation
Business Owner
With the announcement of deliveries being delayed again, does this make anyone else think about waiting for the max battery pack now? I'm an R1S reservation holder so realistically I'm looking at December at the earliest; I'm wondering if I should wait till the max pack comes out now?

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
@TessP100D,
I'm recommending you change your handle to "Range King". Your persistence is wearing me out and I have "stubbornness of epic proportions" or so I've been told.
Hahah. Good idea. I’m rooting for a Rivian but at the same time range anixety Is a real thing.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
With the announcement of deliveries being delayed again, does this make anyone else think about waiting for the max battery pack now? I'm an R1S reservation holder so realistically I'm looking at December at the earliest; I'm wondering if I should wait till the max pack comes out now?
It’ll be a game time decision for me, all based on timing. I don’t really want max pack, but in the near term I may need it to avoid an hour detour on a very common trip I take. So at the time a guide finally contacts me to lock in my config, I’ll assess the delivery time difference between LE and max pack, as well as L3 charger plans for Evanston, WY (it’s not currently on the RAN plan, but appears to be on the latest EA plan) and make my decision. If I have some degree of certainty on an Evanston charger getting built within a year or two of getting my truck, then I’ll stick with my LE. Otherwise I’ll either go max pack or delay my R1 purchase altogether.

WheeledLife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Juiced HyperScorpion
Occupation
Thinker
Pretending that Rivian is immune to the supply chain issues stymying every other manufacturer is equally misguided. Yeah, they might also have issues with the line, delivery/service readiness, or other things more in their control, but it’s not unimaginable that supply chain is at least a contributing factor.
Not pretending, just what's seen and heard inside the organization. Quite discouraging when no individual or group takes personal responsibility for any troubles in their lives. Business obstructions need to be managed so as not to be stymied by them, and it's not always someone else's fault.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Not sure I can agree with this position.

Placing the blame with Rivian seems like it is misguided as well then. With that logic the blame belongs with all of us order holders. We have ordered a product from a supplier and it is not delivered.

I am not sure how anyone can honestly believes the global pandemic did not cause a serious supply chain issue for everything starting at the raw materials and working up the chain from there.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Not to mention nobody multi sources their products at startup. Comparing established auto makers with lines that are already up and running with a startup still developing product and bringing up the lines is unrealistic. Once they get the lines up and running and the parts are no longer being tweaked for various reasons, then they can start looking at multi sourcing vendors.

WheeledLife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Juiced HyperScorpion
Occupation
Thinker
Not to mention nobody multi sources their products at startup. Comparing established auto makers with lines that are already up and running with a startup still developing product and bringing up the lines is unrealistic. Once they get the lines up and running and the parts are no longer being tweaked for various reasons, then they can start looking at multi sourcing vendors.
Thanks for making my point that operational functions are key for a startup to become established as an automaker. When JOB1 hits the mass-production schedule, an R1T order holder expects Rivian to be beyond the Orange County Choppers stage. They expect that their truck will be built on a production line using parts that are not "tweaked". So far, everything you've seen are pre-production non-saleable R1T vehicles.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I think @WheeledLife has some inside info, and I too have heard other rumors. Rivian is not where they need to be yet, and some of this is squarely on them.

It's understandable, but hopefully there are lessons learned that they will address instead of pointing fingers outward.

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
It's one thing when Ford says " we have 10,000 f150's sitting in a lot waiting for computers". Rivian is apparently still testing vehicles, the month when they promised the first deliveries, we still haven't seen the production UI, barely been teased by the production interior, don't know the epa range, and a a whole slew of unanswered questions about the vehicle that, up until a month and a half ago, was supposed to start shipping before august.

Pre-covid, when rivian was having public events to show the vehicles, it was exciting and expected to be a year or so out. Now that nearly every single little detail should be ironed out and set in stone, and available to see on their website and shown in walkthrough videos...

The PR is just disastrous at this point. Like many here, I've been holding out with my chevy volt, putting off a major vehicle purchase in anticipation of an LE r1t. Now I'm just considering an ICE vehicle again, and wait for the whole ev scene to mature a bit more, given the still miserable charging experience on non Tesla chargers for a long distance road trip. I'm giving it a few more months, if they delay again this fall and say "first deliveries spring 2022 ", I'm out.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Rivian is apparently still testing vehicles, the month when they promised the first deliveries
They will be testing vehicles after they start deliveries as well. Testing is never done, just like software.
Sponsored