Sponsored

1st Cybertruck deliveries officially set for Nov 30... annual production capacity >125K

OverEasyGoing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Wrangler, '23 R1S, '79 Scout, R2 Reserved
I would honestly be surprised if they sold that many of these hideous vehicles. I know Elon has his rabid fanbase and there are plenty of people who want one to be quirky and stand out - but are there 125k of them with that much disposable income AND no taste?

MDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, LE R1T
Occupation
Retired Chemical Engineer
Excited to hear more about this September delivery event.
And how long have we waited for the promised the redesigned camp kitchen, max packs, PTC fix, service appointments, etc. Tesla is not alone in delayed promises. But they are more fun to ridicule...right?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

. But they are more fun to ridicule...right?
I mean, I've had an R1T in my driveway since March of last year so... 🤷‍♂️ Maybe Rivian is not for you if you'd rather have nothing at all.

Sponsored

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
1st day reservation, will configure one the way I want it and buy it when built. The CT will then go head-to-head with the R1T for best truck for my use case. May sell the one that loses that battle, or may just pass it on to my wife lol.

I have had numerous Teslas, and currently still have 2 of them. The Y is my Mexico car... and gets _used hard_. One of the most durable platforms I have ever had, so if they keep building things like that car, I will keep buying them.

Once Elon builds me a NACS adapter, we will see how the R1T holds up under the Mexico punishment....
:like:

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
From CNBC:

On the earnings call, CEO Elon Musk tempered financial expectations for the vehicle, saying, “It is going to require immense work to reach volume production and be cashflow positive at a price that people can afford,” with the Cybertruck. He also emphasized, “I just want to temper expectations for Cybertruck. It’s a great product, but financially, it will take a year to 18 months before it is a significant positive cashflow contributor.”

The company still hasn’t announced exact specs or pricing for the Cybertruck.

I would expect any 2023 deliveries to be purely for PR and to either employees or specific TSLA loyalists. The lack of any pricing at this point is telling. Would you have signed a binding agreement with Rivian to buy your vehicle without knowing the price?
It's another clear warning from Musk regarding the intial selling price and availability, and no official price or specs are available. Fanbois gonna be sad.

MDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, LE R1T
Occupation
Retired Chemical Engineer
I would honestly be surprised if they sold that many of these hideous vehicles. I know Elon has his rabid fanbase and there are plenty of people who want one to be quirky and stand out - but are there 125k of them with that much disposable income AND no taste?
Well prepared to be surprised as it will outsell the Lightning, Silverado, and R1T combined. Most likely it will have far more capability in range, towing and efficiency. Hideous?...perhaps, but form follows function for some. ...you know, those who have engineering taste ....and money.

Milermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Sweet! Now we’ll get to see the stainless steel refrigerator looking trucks in the wild!
I actually saw one on the highway this past weekend. I was shocked because I thought there were only three of them in existence. But there it was, zipping along in the fast lane.
And it's just as ugly in person as in the pictures.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
1st day reservation, will configure one the way I want it and buy it when built. The CT will then go head-to-head with the R1T for best truck for my use case. May sell the one that loses that battle, or may just pass it on to my wife lol.

I have had numerous Teslas, and currently still have 2 of them. The Y is my Mexico car... and gets _used hard_. One of the most durable platforms I have ever had, so if they keep building things like that car, I will keep buying them.

Once Elon builds me a NACS adapter, we will see how the R1T holds up under the Mexico punishment....
:like:
I think people keep forgetting this is NOT a zero-sum-game. Not only can multiple players succeed it is required in order to actually move forward on the EV transition.

I will say it does not help that EM seems to not really understand this as well with his insistence on bad mouthing other EV producers.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

If the powertrain is sound, maybe there will be a market of taking old pickups (think early c/k chevy) and dropping the body on them.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Well prepared to be surprised as it will outsell the Lightning, Silverado, and R1T combined. Most likely it will have far more capability in range, towing and efficiency. Hideous?...perhaps, but form follows function for some. ...you know, those who have engineering taste ....and money.
Tell me, what are the functions? We know it’s not an exoskeleton. We know that the “cybercell” batteries are no more energy dense than 2170 batteries.
What are these functions which form supposedly follows?

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
Ooofff....that was an ugly earnings call. They didn't sound very confident that the Cybertruck would be cheap, or would be able to hit volume production any time soon.

Regardless of price, at some point 1 million+ reservation holders (if real) will begin to move on because the wait could be another 5+ years.

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
I mean, I've had an R1T in my driveway since March of last year so... 🤷‍♂️ Maybe Rivian is not for you if you'd rather have nothing at all.
I know of a couple people who waited 3+ years for their R1S, so delays happen.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs