First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Cautionary tale: someone preliminarily swapped to Ohmmu batteries, their truck stopped working and Rivian called their warranty void due to the difference in battery chemistry between Ohmmu's batteries and their 12V system.

I cannot put a link here, because it's a forum we're not allowed to link to from here. That guy got litigious (or at least threatened), but it didn't sound like things were going his way.
That enough for me to not go that route for sure.
Sponsored

runningdenver

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S QM
Occupation
Tech
Cautionary tale: someone preliminarily swapped to Ohmmu batteries, their truck stopped working and Rivian called their warranty void due to the difference in battery chemistry between Ohmmu's batteries and their 12V system.

I cannot put a link here, because it's a forum we're not allowed to link to from here. That guy got litigious (or at least threatened), but it didn't sound like things were going his way.
Interesting. Does anyone know a way to get the OEM batteries ? The videos above show how to replace, but if we could get the OEM batteries, I'm guessing it would all be legit as far as Rivian were concerned.

Miketz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Lucid Air, BMW IX
I agree! Only reason I had Jeep dealer do the jeep is the accessory battery is under main battery and a pain to get at. Otherwise I have always gone to Walmart, etc..picked up a battery and done it myself.

I already pulled the frunk out a few times looking at everything to figure things out. And chase a rattle....

Question is....can we get the batteries or their exact equivalent from anybody other than Rivian? Or I wonder if Rivian will sell the batteries without install and for how much.
You don't have to remove the frunk to get to the 12 Batteries.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model Y

I’ve heard similar stories on Teslas as well. Warranty voided because a Ohmmu was installed. Better to stick with OEM.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
You don't have to remove the frunk to get to the 12 Batteries.
I know. It might access easier, but I know you don't have to. I was saying I am very comfortable and have removes the frunk many times, so as far as 12v battery replacement goes....definitely a DYI job...

Sponsored

iBang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Rivian R1T Adventure
OMG $800? My Tesla (2018 Tesla Model S) just had 12V replacement done for the first time and a Tesla technician came to our house and replaced it in 10 minutes. He charged me $238.

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

There was a very critical teardown of these Ohmmu batteries as well last year:

I'm no battery expert. Maybe they'd still work well in some cars and for some owners, but I'd personally stick with OEM.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
The biggest question is why do they not last? My Hybrid is a 2012 model with the original battery (both 12v and HV to be specific).

Seems to really be an EV problem.
It's a Rivian problem, not an EV problem.

Our 2017 BMW i3 is still on it's original 12V battery and I had my Bolt for 3 full years with no 12V battery issues ever.

Wing

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition LG/OC 20-inch
You haven't followed Hyundai and Kia? It's chronic event he nee EV9 failed batteries after a week.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT

Sponsored

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

Group buy? Maybe we can splash some wiper fluid on it.
This isn't a bad idea.
However.

Batteries sitting idly in your cabinet for the day you *might* need them are also going to degrade, unless you're willing to follow all storage spec (the manufacturer should publish them) and that typically involves going through periodic discharge/recharge/conditioning cycles. If you're not willing or have the luxury of doing so, purchasing one of these for the day you *might* need one may result in you having bad batteries both in your truck and waiting to be installed in your truck.

And even then, if it takes ~3-5 years to 'need' it, it's still not going to be optimal. Once a battery is first built and charged, you're starting a lifecycle on it.

Granted, someone with an EE or ChemE degree who works on batteries can probably explain much better than I and possibly understand better modern battery chemistry, but from what I have always been taught, batteries are the thing you buy when you're about to use them.

SO...my point being, it's best to wait until you need a battery to buy a battery...Just my .02
Sponsored