First Name
MOHAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 LongHorn , Challenger Scat pack, BMW X3
Occupation
PHARMACIST
So I got the 12V battery service message this morning and I know many of you have had the same issue here are my questions
1 , I am 50k miles so my understanding the battery is not covered, how much Rivian will charge for replacing batteries ?
2, can I replace them myself ? and if so would that void any warranty ?

thank you
Sponsored

Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Clubs

So I got the 12V battery service message this morning and I know many of you have had the same issue here are my questions
1 , I am 50k miles so my understanding the battery is not covered, how much Rivian will charge for replacing batteries ?
2, can I replace them myself ? and if so would that void any warranty ?

thank you
I got a quote from the service center for about $800 for the two battery system.

Sponsored

dordav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
If you completely cut power, you'll need to recalibrate seats, steering wheel, and windows when power returns.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Yikes. Owning these vehicles out of warranty seems like it will be a costly endeavor.
Hopefully Rivian gets in control of some of their pricing. I know they need to make money, but also not scare people away from the used market, which in turn reduces used values, which then hurts residuals and leases....new sales period....

I just had both batteries, and I know they are very different, replaced in a Jeep JL and it cost $298 total...as a reference point.

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

I just had both batteries, and I know they are very different, replaced in a Jeep JL and it cost $298 total...as a reference point.
Swapping a 12v battery should be a trivial task most can do on their own for considerably less.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Swapping a 12v battery should be a trivial task most can do on their own for considerably less.
I agree! Only reason I had Jeep dealer do the jeep is the accessory battery is under main battery and a pain to get at. Otherwise I have always gone to Walmart, etc..picked up a battery and done it myself.

I already pulled the frunk out a few times looking at everything to figure things out. And chase a rattle....

Question is....can we get the batteries or their exact equivalent from anybody other than Rivian? Or I wonder if Rivian will sell the batteries without install and for how much.

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Question is....can we get the batteries or their exact equivalent from anybody other than Rivian? Or I wonder if Rivian will sell the batteries without install and for how much.
and can we get the procedure for doing this without bricking our vehicle because the 12v circuit lost power during the swap.

Sponsored

Wing

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition LG/OC 20-inch
The biggest question is why do they not last? My Hybrid is a 2012 model with the original battery (both 12v and HV to be specific).

Seems to really be an EV problem.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

Has anyone confirmed these work well in the Rivians and don't cause any issues with the 12v condition monitoring, etc?
Cautionary tale: someone preliminarily swapped to Ohmmu batteries, their truck stopped working and Rivian called their warranty void due to the difference in battery chemistry between Ohmmu's batteries and their 12V system.

I cannot put a link here, because it's a forum we're not allowed to link to from here. That guy got litigious (or at least threatened), but it didn't sound like things were going his way.
Sponsored