Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Now I can plug in my laptop when working from the truck. Sweet
And we can also plug in a 120VAC-> 12VDC power supply to power all the native 12VDC automotive accessories less efficiently. šŸ¤Ø
Sponsored

OP
OP

diranged

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I'm willing to bet everyone surprised by this were among the recent order "lottery winners" that got their truck after a very short wait. Those of us that waited 2 years and obsessed over every rumor and detail on the forums and Rivian's website knew about this and probably a few other things that are surprises to some.

I have only used it once or twice that I can recall. Once for a rear passenger's ipad. The positioning under the console is kind of a pain. Our Fords that had them were the same way. I guess there is something in the manufacturing process that makes someone's life easier to install them underneath instead of putting them on the side making every owner's life easier to actually use them.
Sorry to burst your bubble - Iā€™m an early 2019 pre-order holder who waited plenty long. To be honest, itā€™s entirely possible that I knew about the outlet at some point along the way, but probably just forgot about it. I also came from a Ford F150, so I am very familiar with the outlets in the same location ā€¦ but the Rivian setup is harder to see and I guess I just lost track of it.

For what itā€™s worth, Iā€™m friends with a few Rivian employees - and none of them knew about the outlet eitherā€¦ :facepalm:

First Name
Natasha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5
Clubs

Ok.. Iā€™ve had my R1T for a year now - VIN in the 2400ā€™s.. and I thought I knew everything about this truck. Until today.

Did you know thereā€™s a 110V outlet in the back seat area under the HVAC control screen?!?!

IMG_4760.jpeg
And now I do! LOL. wow..

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

cleex024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model x
holy smokes i definitely didnt know that was there and was complaining the other day why this truck wouldnt have a 120v inside the cabin lol.

thanks

Sponsored

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

Nice! that could come in very useful. Does anyone know if the R1S had it too? I wish they still had the 12V in the front trunk. Does anyone know when they discontinued installing them? I have R1T on order but waiting for the max pac battery on it. I am getting into the R1S shop so hopefully will get one sooner than later.
It does. Yes.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Pretty useless spot, imho. If they had to ditch something, wish they'd ditched that and kept the 12V in the frunk and under the dash. šŸ˜«
Where would I plug my laptop in on road trips? Some travel fridges? My niece's Kindle? Or...

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Rivian R1T R1S 110V outlet inside the cab (under rear HVAC control screen)! DEC4F947-C15B-4A51-AE54-56AB81BBFBE4

cmtaylor963

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, R1T
Occupation
Engineer
On my last work road trip I plugged in my laptop through the gear tunnel hatch šŸ˜‚

Sponsored

W1SE

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Bronco, 2018 VW Atlas
Occupation
Branch manager
Clubs

This is like the 12v under the infotainment screen. Hidden for minimalist view. But still functional.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Where would I plug my laptop in on road trips? Some travel fridges? My niece's Kindle? Or...
I'm just saying man, if they had to take one thing away, they chose poorly. But for your answers:

- You're driving. You shouldn't be using your laptop anyway.
- In the frunk, with the 12V outlet they shouldn't have taken away.
- Any of the remaining available USB-C ports. That's an obvious one, LOL. šŸ˜†

Just imho. #shrug šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
That's the one I plug my crockpot into for road trip chicken.
Do you think it would work for us to put our RecTeq RT340 pellet smoker in our R1S so we can have pork butt for dinner after a full day of driving? :CWL:

derekmw

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I use it whenever I needed to plug in my laptop, but the location is not very convenient.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

If you're gonna use conserve mode anyway, you could re-purpose the HV lines* that run to the rear motor inverter. Really easy to access them.

*I take no responsibility for any death, injury, or damage that occurs from the content of this post.
Sponsored