Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Having used the Magic Dock with the R1T several times, I’m wondering if a 90-degree adapter (not an extension) might be helpful for getting into position. Tesla suggests parking slightly over the line and I can say from experience that the last stretch of the cable to rotate the NACS plug into the port makes that challenging.

Also, there appears to be only one SUC opening to us in Wyoming so hopefully that’s a place where RAN might expand to.
There is a RAN under construction in Cheyenne
Sponsored

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
But some of the very new V3 stations are listed either. And you would think those would have the correct software.
There is a v3 station less than a year old a few miles from me. Several weeks ago a Tesla tech was there installing new hardware to "make it compatible for other EVs". So even with the last of the v3s it apparently isn't as simple as flipping a switch. FWIW this station has been updated but does not yet show on the map.

Also, Tesla put in a v4 in Prattville Al last year that was open for some time before they enabled the magic docks.

I'm hopeful that as adapters roll out we'll see lots of SC sites go active rather quickly. If they are doing the necessary V3 upgrades in forgotten Alabama other places should be in great shape. 😆

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Yeah I think they've had to physically visit every SC that will work with the adapter. Kudos to that team for the work.

There's a new lvl 3 in Little Falls, MN not on the list, I hope that one is coming.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
There is a v3 station less than a year old a few miles from me. Several weeks ago a Tesla tech was there installing new hardware to "make it compatible for other EVs". So even with the last of the v3s it apparently isn't as simple as flipping a switch. FWIW this station has been updated but does not yet show on the map.

Also, Tesla put in a v4 in Prattville Al last year that was open for some time before they enabled the magic docks.

I'm hopeful that as adapters roll out we'll see lots of SC sites go active rather quickly. If they are doing the necessary V3 upgrades in forgotten Alabama other places should be in great shape. 😆
I would take the "make it compatible with other EVs" comment to mean installing a magic dock.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Yeah I think they've had to physically visit every SC that will work with the adapter. Kudos to that team for the work.

There's a new lvl 3 in Little Falls, MN not on the list, I hope that one is coming.
Same here. And hoping for a new station opening up in Virginia, MN. Would make my annual trip to Vermilion so much easier.

Sponsored

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I would take the "make it compatible with other EVs" comment to mean installing a magic dock.
No, he was installing new computer hardware.

I was disappointed this station went in without magic docks though. They were already in-service elsewhere in the country when this installation was started.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
No, he was installing new computer hardware.

I was disappointed this station went in without magic docks though. They were already in-service elsewhere in the country when this installation was started.
Interesting. Well maybe there is hope? And maybe the brand new ones (that have opened in the last few weeks) are just not updated on the map. Would seem a bit short sighted if they have to install new hardware on recently installed superchargers.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
But some of the very new V3 stations are listed either. And you would think those would have the correct software.
Interesting, the ones I'm familiar with except the mixed sites I mentioned seem to be on the NACS list. I’ll have to see if I run into any I would expect to be on the list that aren’t.

jshaff

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Has anyone noticed that some of the chargers listed as no compatible have pricing for "other EVs"

Rivian R1T R1S ⚡️ Rivian announces: March Tesla Supercharger access & free NACS adapters! 1709310376033

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Interesting. Well maybe there is hope? And maybe the brand new ones (that have opened in the last few weeks) are just not updated on the map. Would seem a bit short sighted if they have to install new hardware on recently installed superchargers.
I just checked the map. The site in question is now on the "Open to NACs" list, not the magic dock list. Gardendale AL.

Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Has anyone noticed that some of the chargers listed as no compatible have pricing for "other EVs"

1709310376033.png
Nice find. But it also says that for 150kW superchargers which we know isn't compatible with other CCS EVs.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I just checked the map. The site in question is now on the "Open to NACs" list, not the magic dock list. Gardendale AL.
So was it just added today? I haven't seen any new ones added to the Open to NACS but there are too many to track them all.

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
Until chargers are as ubiquitous as gas stations, there will never be enough.
With a large percentage of EV owners having an L2 charger at their home, and the inevitable increase in EV range/decrease in charging time due to coming battery upgrades, I don't think we will ever need as many DCFC stations as we currently have gas stations.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
With a large percentage of EV owners having an L2 charger at their home, and the inevitable increase in EV range/decrease in charging time due to coming battery upgrades, I don't think we will ever need as many DCFC stations as we currently have gas stations.
Agree with that the total DCFC stations will be less than gas stations. A lot of the in town gas stations are not needed. I would argue that the interstate and state highways will need more EV chargers than gas stations due to longer fueling time (even with solid state batteries).

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Yes, but homeownership going forward is a pipe dream for most...people will be in apartments, rentals, etc and need access to charging...its also perception...you see more fast chargers and people will lose anxiety about access to them on road trips. So sure, maybe not quite as ubiquitous, but still. It also takes longer to charge an EV (currently) so more are needed as the turnover is not as fast to free up a charger versus a gas pump.
Sponsored