Sponsored

Rivian should focus on features that set them apart from the rest of the industry, not AA/CP.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
How would you adjust climate, turn on heated seats, ride height, etc. while using AA? Switching back and forth between UIs is arguably more futzing around. AA/CP works in other cars because you can avoid the onboard UI for the most part.
There's no "switching back and forth" unless you consider the current experience as that. The climate panel would work the same way it does today. It would pop over on top of the app space, which is where we're saying CP/AA would live.

It seems a lot of CP/AA naysayers used it once years ago when it was a full-screen, single app experience and decided that must be how it is today.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It seems a lot of CP/AA naysayers used it once years ago when it was a full-screen, single app experience and decided that must be how it is today.
Maybe my experience was tainted with how garbage it ran and was integrated on my state-of-the-art GM EV last year. A lot can change in a year.

I do still have the Volt but I don't typically plug my phone into it and it doesn't support wireless AA like the Hummer did. Maybe I'll drive it tomorrow to see what changes the AA interface has had in the last year.

Last edited:

staytuned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
So I have to keep buying new vehicles to get this updated CP/AA experience?

Got a 2021 that is as you describe, and I can all but guarantee it is not getting any OTA updates.

quartz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Clarity PHEV
Clubs

There's no "switching back and forth" unless you consider the current experience as that. The climate panel would work the same way it does today. It would pop over on top of the app space, which is where we're saying CP/AA would live.

I use CarPlay daily, and it’s a full-screen experience in the sense it covers up all native UI elements and I have to press on the dedicated Home button to get out of that. Can you show me an example of AA/CP where the native UI is visible?

andisimose

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas
Clubs

I use CarPlay daily, and it’s a full-screen experience in the sense it covers up all native UI elements and I have to press on the dedicated Home button to get out of that. Can you show me an example of AA/CP where the native UI is visible?
There various examples out there. BMW in like the 2017-2019 330s I think had it as partial screen, with the ability to code it to full screen. I took a quick look to see if there was others and I see a few examples on reddit. Seems like its doable to put it in a window. How that would work with the Rivian screen is probably what they have to play around with. Getting the right aspect ratio pop out screen to make it look and feel correct and then making sure it doesn't violate some apple law that probably exists.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

There various examples out there. BMW in like the 2017-2019 330s I think had it as partial screen, with the ability to code it to full screen. I took a quick look to see if there was others and I see a few examples on reddit. Seems like its doable to put it in a window. How that would work with the Rivian screen is probably what they have to play around with. Getting the right aspect ratio pop out screen to make it look and feel correct and then making sure it doesn't violate some apple law that probably exists.

Looks like there are only a couple of resolutions/aspect ratios to choose from for carplay. I imagine AA is the same.

https://developer.apple.com/design/...es/technologies/carplay/visual-design/#layout

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars

Got a 2021 that is as you describe, and I can all but guarantee it is not getting any OTA updates.
That's an issue with your manufacturer, not CP/AA. I don't know what vehicle you're driving. I'm sorry they don't provide OTA updates, but your ire should be with them, not with screen projection.

Ford Sync 4:
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian should focus on features that set them apart from the rest of the industry, not AA/CP. 2021-ford-f150-carplay-maps

Ford Sync 4A:
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian should focus on features that set them apart from the rest of the industry, not AA/CP. FORD_2020_Go-Electric_MACH-E_London_124

Subaru:
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian should focus on features that set them apart from the rest of the industry, not AA/CP. 2020-subaru-outback_100739296_m

Stellanis Uconnect 5:
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian should focus on features that set them apart from the rest of the industry, not AA/CP. maxresdefault

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

When does the lockup agreement with Amazon expire?
Don’t conflate the Amazon EDV exclusivity agreement as having some magical constraint on Rivian’s consumer vehicle infotainment direction. Unrelated. In fact the Alex experience outside of Rivian includes the ability to bypass Amazon and integrate 3P experiences from Phillips, Apple, SiriusXM, etc.

Amazon is not dictating Rivian’s infotainment direction.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars

Sponsored

andisimose

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas
Clubs

Oh hey look, Rivian could re-implement their UI inside carplay too. Boy, that sure sounds better than a fully fleshed out native UI that doesn't depend on another device...

https://developer.apple.com/design/...hnologies/carplay/introduction#automaker-apps

I sense the sarcasm in this post, but wanted to state that I do not support that :) fly out a widget to let someone look at waze, or a podcast app, etc. but please don’t use it for native controls!

I use the standard BMW apps right now driving my wife’s car because they are much tighter integrated with the drive system. But I support user flexibility! Huzzah

quartz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Clarity PHEV
Clubs

That's an issue with your manufacturer, not CP/AA. I don't know what vehicle you're driving. I'm sorry they don't provide OTA updates, but your ire should be with them, not with screen projection.

Ford Sync 4:
2021-ford-f150-carplay-maps.jpg

Ford Sync 4A:
FORD_2020_Go-Electric_MACH-E_London_124.jpg

Subaru:
2020-subaru-outback_100739296_m.jpg

Stellanis Uconnect 5:
maxresdefault.jpg
Thanks. The large portrait displays actually look decent with split screen. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy CarPlay, and would definitely use Gaia when offline—it’s just something that requires a lot of effort to get right.. Having integrated a few apps within apps (iframes, React in Salesforce, etc), I can assure you this is not as simple as connecting a display and wiring up some hooks. Even simple things like menu nav and data exchange can be tricky. It’s quite possible Rivian’s UI uses static assets, and converting those to a responsive layout can require a lot of re-work. Also, from my experience, the performance/smoothness tends to suffer when you are working with rich overlays. Considering AA/CP is a nice-to-have feature for Rivian, it’s no surprise they are prioritizing bug fixes and optimizations for the time being.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Thanks. The large portrait displays actually look decent with split screen. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy CarPlay, and would definitely use Gaia when offline—it’s just something that requires a lot of effort to get right.. Having integrated a few apps within apps (iframes, React in Salesforce, etc), I can assure you this is not as simple as connecting a display and wiring up some hooks. Even simple things like menu nav and data exchange can be tricky. It’s quite possible Rivian’s UI uses static assets, and converting those to a responsive layout can require a lot of re-work. Also, from my experience, the performance/smoothness tends to suffer when you are working with rich overlays. Considering AA/CP is a nice-to-have feature for Rivian, it’s no surprise they are prioritizing bug fixes and optimizations for the time being.
For the integrations concerns, most of this would be handled by either QNX or the AAOS layer. This is where Tesla would have a more difficult time with integration, because they legitimately built their own Linux-based OS from the ground-up whereas Rivian's foundation is based on a hybrid of two platforms which support screen projection integrations.

I don't understand your UI concern. The space dedicated for screen projection would be static, non-responsive. It would slot into the existing space dedicated to apps and would not change. The top and bottom bars would always be present, and overlays like the climate controls, profiles, and garage door panes would dim the app space and layer on top, exactly as they behave today with navigation, media, gear guard, etc.

EBEG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2016 Pilot, 2019 Jetta
20 MPH is horseshit. That sucks.
Last weekend in Albuquerque, NM I saw an 18 MPH speed limit sign in a neighborhood. The street was narrow and I looked down to see my speed - 18 mph.

Weird limit, but dead accurate to me!

chandlerr85

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Jeep Wrangler, C6 Corvette Z06, R1S

why would you need to keep buying new vehicles... there are really only two different versions for compatibility, wired or wireless. Regardless, the app will continue to update and you shouldn't need to change your car.

For reference I have one of the earliest pioneer head units that supported wireless AA I got in 2019, and it still works today just the same as any other system. Android auto, the app, recently updated and still no issues with the new version of the app.
Sponsored