Sponsored

Rivian should focus on features that set them apart from the rest of the industry, not AA/CP.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
The only time I see speed limits is right after I pass a sign. Is there a setting?
There is no setting as I far as I can recall, and instead it depends on whether the speed limit is in the maps. If its not in the maps then no speed limit is displayed.

If you're not seeing the speed limit for a lot of roads in your area then you might try reporting them to Mapbox or possible OpenStreetMaps.

Here is the URL for mapbox reporting.
https://www.mapbox.com/contribute/#/

Here is where I got this information from.
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/navigation-map-update.12383/#post-279279
Sponsored

louisdeg

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Red Canyon/Forest Edge, 21ā€ wheels
Occupation
Home inspector
It's not just my area. Over last weekend I drove from Woods Hole MA to Princeton NJ by way of Newark NJ. The only time I see speed limits show up is right after the sign goes by. Its consistent no matter where I drive.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It's not just my area. Over last weekend I drove from Woods Hole MA to Princeton NJ by way of Newark NJ. The only time I see speed limits show up is right after the sign goes by. Its consistent no matter where I drive.
My truck regularly has the wrong speed limits in a couple areas and it doesn't seem to correct based on the signs. A couple other weird areas where we have speed limit signs that also say "ENDS" under the sign. Which is stupid and confusing even if legal where the map database has that wrong speed limit there too.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
It comes from both.

If the Camera hasn't seen a speed limit sign then it uses the one in the mapping file. Once its seen a speed limit then it uses that one.

My complaint was the one from the mapping file is often wrong.

The fact that it can read speed limit signs should make it fairly easy to correct the mapping simply by creating a notification every time they mismatched.
You are right (I think). In our neighborhood there is a street they changed the speed limit to 20 in the last 6 months. Truck nav shows 30. a few seconds after passing the new 20 sign it changes to 20 in the nav. The new signs are spaced out pretty far so then the truck reverts back to 30 until you pass a new sign again.

quartz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Clarity PHEV
Clubs

I use CarPlay on my Honda and I love it, but it would be terrible on a Rivian. Having to switch or split screen between Rivian UI and Apple/Android UI would be a major UX downgrade.

Sponsored

AdamUCF

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
June 2022 R1T
My truck regularly has the wrong speed limits in a couple areas and it doesn't seem to correct based on the signs. A couple other weird areas where we have speed limit signs that also say "ENDS" under the sign. Which is stupid and confusing even if legal where the map database has that wrong speed limit there too.
Man if only there was some way that we could choose our own mapping solution that might have more accurate map data and ways to easily report map issues. Wouldn't that be sweet?

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Man if only there was some way that we could choose our own mapping solution that might have more accurate map data and ways to easily report map issues. Wouldn't that be sweet?
I already have a way to report map issues for the mapping system in my truck, try and keep up. I leave a couple of inaccurate things unreported as an experiment to see if they get fixed without me reporting them.

AdamUCF

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
June 2022 R1T
I already have a way to report map issues for the mapping system in my truck, try and keep up. I leave a couple of inaccurate things unreported as an experiment to see if they get fixed without me reporting them.
Not easily and contemporaneously. Try and keep up.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

AdamUCF

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
June 2022 R1T
It's super easy. Just for you I put the link into my signature.
Quit being obtuse. Easy would be built into the app so I could report an issue right when I see it. I shouldn't have to go on a forum to figure out how to do it. Rivian hasn't even published this anywhere so they clearly don't intend on their drivers doing this.

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
You are right (I think). In our neighborhood there is a street they changed the speed limit to 20 in the last 6 months. Truck nav shows 30. a few seconds after passing the new 20 sign it changes to 20 in the nav. The new signs are spaced out pretty far so then the truck reverts back to 30 until you pass a new sign again.
20 MPH is horseshit. That sucks.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Quit being obtuse. Easy would be built into the app so I could report an issue right when I see it. I shouldn't have to go on a forum to figure out how to do it. Rivian hasn't even published this anywhere so they clearly don't intend on their drivers doing this.
Maybe your mom can help you

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Oh yes please, more things that contribute to driver distraction in the UI. Just what we need. I was a pretty big contributor to fixing map issues in Waze years ago. I quit because the amount of reported map errors that are impossible to determine what the user expected that the map didn't do was annoyingly high. If you asked for more information generally it would go unanswered or the person couldn't remember what the problem was, or was snarky and said it should be obvious.

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

Iā€™m not going to integrate another assistant into my life (Alexa) when my household is all in on the Goog.

Iā€™d definitely rather the relatively small number of software engineers at Rivian be working on another driving mode or preventing new reasons for the truck to go brick mode rather than trying to recreate AA.

While I agree with the ā€œgo zen and enjoy the driveā€ sentiment, that is easier when you arenā€™t futzing with a UI to get it to do something that has been easy for almost a decade. I donā€™t care about my phone on my short commute but on longer drives, most of us will need something from our phone that is currently hard and dangerous to access in a Rivian.

When does the lockup agreement with Amazon expire?

quartz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Clarity PHEV
Clubs

Iā€™m not going to integrate another assistant into my life (Alexa) when my household is all in on the Goog.

Iā€™d definitely rather the relatively small number of software engineers at Rivian be working on another driving mode or preventing new reasons for the truck to go brick mode rather than trying to recreate AA.

While I agree with the ā€œgo zen and enjoy the driveā€ sentiment, that is easier when you arenā€™t futzing with a UI to get it to do something that has been easy for almost a decade. I donā€™t care about my phone on my short commute but on longer drives, most of us will need something from our phone that is currently hard and dangerous to access in a Rivian.

When does the lockup agreement with Amazon expire?
How would you adjust climate, turn on heated seats, ride height, etc. while using AA? Switching back and forth between UIs is arguably more futzing around. AA/CP works in other cars because you can avoid the onboard UI for the most part.
Sponsored