Sponsored

Rivian should focus on features that set them apart from the rest of the industry, not AA/CP.

staytuned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Despite having what is widely regarded as the most feature-rich and well-developed infotainment system, there is still consumer demand for CarPlay in Teslas: https://carlinkitcarplay.com/products/carlinkit-t2c-tesla-wireless-apple-carplay-adapter
That's awesome.
- Tesla can keep focusing on what they want to
- People get CarPlay today
- If Tesla suddenly went out of business, we've already figured out how to integrate new stuff into their UI!

Build one for the Rivian. I'll buy one, and I don't even want CarPlay!

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

While were at it, trucks and SUVs are so yesterday. I think they should focus on flying unicorns.
While we're going to extremes, why even have two distinct choices between Apple and Google?

Why not just have a single state-owned phone/car/electricity/food company?
I'm totally on board with a state-owned flying unicorn company.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

chandlerr85

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Jeep Wrangler, C6 Corvette Z06, R1S
Despite being what is widely regarded as the most popular electric vehicle, there's still consumer demand for Hybrid Teslas

And ICE Teslas
hmm seems like you're confusing one-off projects with consumer products

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

hmm seems like you're confusing one-off projects with consumer products
It's really just because of the difference in cost. You think people wouldn't buy a hybrid tesla if it were only a few hundred bucks different? (Maybe not the abomination in the video though)

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
That's awesome.
- Tesla can keep focusing on what they want to
- People get CarPlay today
- If Tesla suddenly went out of business, we've already figured out how to integrate new stuff into their UI!

Build one for the Rivian. I'll buy one, and I don't even want CarPlay!
I would absolutely consider this solution, but it requires a couple of things from Rivian: a web browser and the ability to stay connected to a wifi network while driving.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I'm okay with not having AA/CP if and ONLY if Rivian actually focuses on improving the user experience of their apps.

The Nav app is atrocious, but could be improved if they allowed customers to submit bug reports from the screen. Just some simple "these directions are wrong" or the speed limit is wrong on this road.

The Spotify Music app is terribly buggy. Maybe I'm just an idiot, but I haven't figured out how to get it to play through my favorites where it goes through all 200 of them. It seems to be limited to 50,.

Even the FM radio is buggy where the steering controls don't select through the favorites and sometimes the side screen shows incorrect information.

My main desire for CP is to simply avoid all that mess, and use things that actually work.

Tbirdjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Sales
I also don't care about AA/CP. I don't use it in any other vehicles I have. I'd prefer they invest in other areas.
Agree to disagree here. I did no research on Rivian's plans on mobile integration over the two years I waited for my R1T b/c I just (erroneously) assumed a brand new truck / platform would SURELY have the most advanced experience with mobile. Boy was I shocked on delivery day. Instead, no path to voice to text, stuck with only one navigation option, unless you then mount your phone to the beautiful dash, and oh yeah, the wireless charging doesn't exist (worked literally once in 6 months). It is by far the thing I am most disappointed in with Rivian. I love everthing else about the truck, but they have messed up royally here.

If they want their own environment, fine - give us all the functionality of CP for things that actually increase safety, like reading out texts. Yes, I can reach down and press my iphone button to then tell Siri to text or call, but why? Using the alternative - Alexa - is right about 20% of the time. It doesn't get song requests correct, asking her to call usually results in "I can't find XX in your contacts." I then say the exact same thing to Siri and it nails it 100% of the time. Don't even ask Alexa to take you someplace - that is about a 10% chance of success. ALL of this could be solved with CP. Does Rivian really think they can do a maps app better than Google (and keep it updated)? Already had multiple wrong addresses by trying to use the Nav. Rivian has listened so well in other areas (thanks, Snow Mode!) so listen here please....
I'm okay with not having AA/CP if and ONLY if Rivian actually focuses on improving the user experience of their apps.

The Nav app is atrocious, but could be improved if they allowed customers to submit bug reports from the screen. Just some simple "these directions are wrong" or the speed limit is wrong on this road.

The Spotify Music app is terribly buggy. Maybe I'm just an idiot, but I haven't figured out how to get it to play through my favorites where it goes through all 200 of them. It seems to be limited to 50,.

Even the FM radio is buggy where the steering controls don't select through the favorites and sometimes the side screen shows incorrect information.

My main desire for CP is to simply avoid all that mess, and use things that actually work.
I will pile on to your highlights here:

I did no research on Rivian's plans on mobile integration over the two years I waited for my R1T b/c I just (erroneously) assumed a brand new truck / platform would SURELY have the most advanced experience with mobile. Boy was I shocked on delivery day. Instead, no path to voice to text, stuck with only one navigation option, unless you then mount your phone to the beautiful dash and disregard the huge screen doing nothing for me while I drive, and oh yeah, the wireless charging doesn't exist (worked literally once in 6 months). It is by far the thing (mobile lack of integration) I am most disappointed in with Rivian. I love everthing else about the truck, but they have messed up royally here.

If they want their own environment, fine - give us all the functionality of CP for things that actually increase safety, like reading out texts. Yes, I can reach down and press my iphone button to then tell Siri to text or call, but why? Using the alternative - Alexa - is right about 20% of the time. It doesn't get song requests correct, asking her to call usually results in "I can't find XX in your contacts." I then say the exact same thing to Siri and it nails it 100% of the time. Don't even ask Alexa to take you someplace - that is about a 10% chance of success. ALL of this could be solved with CP. Does Rivian really think they can do a maps app better than Google (and keep it updated)? Already had multiple wrong addresses by trying to use the Nav. Rivian has listened so well in other areas (thanks, Snow Mode!) so listen here please....

louisdeg

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Red Canyon/Forest Edge, 21” wheels
Occupation
Home inspector

It took me a while but Rivian’s cameras read the speed limit signs . Haven’t you noticed the pop up just after you pass the sign and go away a mile or two later?

Sponsored

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
I'll try to keep my whining about your whining about no AA/CP to this thread moving forward. I'll link in threads that annoy me to not clutter the other threads. Other people are welcome to do the same thing and additionally clutter this thread.

If you don't want to see this thread pop up in your feed, hitting the big compass yellow ignore button on the top right of this post should do it.
We should create a group that is for no Android Auto / CarPlay and call it NAACP

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
It took me a while but Rivian’s cameras read the speed limit signs . Haven’t you noticed the pop up just after you pass the sign and go away a mile or two later?
Pretty sure the speed limit shown is from the mapping file

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Pretty sure the speed limit shown is from the mapping file
It comes from both.

If the Camera hasn't seen a speed limit sign then it uses the one in the mapping file. Once its seen a speed limit then it uses that one.

My complaint was the one from the mapping file is often wrong.

The fact that it can read speed limit signs should make it fairly easy to correct the mapping simply by creating a notification every time they mismatched.

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
My take is improve to UI. The first 100k sales will be due to new or cool factor or the off road idealizations. For the remaining 900k sales, the soccer moms, physicians, and white collars are going to want a functional UI that plain works. If they can’t get this to work or implement a highly desired feature such as projection, they will quickly die as a company-no matter the prowess it has on and off road.

louisdeg

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Red Canyon/Forest Edge, 21” wheels
Occupation
Home inspector
It comes from both.

If the Camera hasn't seen a speed limit sign then it uses the one in the mapping file. Once its seen a speed limit then it uses that one.

My complaint was the one from the mapping file is often wrong.

The fact that it can read speed limit signs should make it fairly easy to correct the mapping simply by creating a notification every time they mismatched.
The only time I see speed limits is right after I pass a sign. Is there a setting?
Sponsored