Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I completely understand the CS reps aren't the ones making production decisions. But think about it. They're the ones being tasked with calling you to make a potentially big change to your original purchase plans. This isn't just me pulling up the chat function and asking CS to remind me the material the interior is made from. This is them asking you to change your configuration. I would have expected a little more info than just "do you want to?"

Maybe my bar is too high? I don't know. It definitely is not on the CS rep who is only relaying the information they have. It's on the company for better equipping them with information.
Agreed.

Asking us to make the switch and only saying we need to lock it in before January 31st to take advantage of it, but offering no real date information is ridiculous. And you're seeing it mentioned here first btw, Come February or whatever month they update the delivery schedule, this forum will light up again "why did I give up my max pack which was February 2023 for a standard pack December 2022 delivery?" and then the subsequent switch back to max pack.
Sponsored

Mygrain

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 IONIQ 5, '23 R1S quad, many Deeres
Occupation
grain farmer, ex-Honda factory engineer
Clubs

Based on RJ's message to 2018/19 MaxPack and Explore folks in his 12/28 email (wherein he stated unequivocally that switching to Adventure+Large would move your delivery window to 2022), I would think the production schedule would have gaps built in for 100% of the MaxPack and Explore folks to move into 2022 without bumping anyone.
Can we discern by looking at our non-LE survey data whether gaps were built in? I suspect not, especially if the gaps are sprinkled out by pre-order date within the published Adventure/Large delivery windows. Maybe we should give Rivian's production planning team the benefit of the doubt. Surely Rivian management wants to avoid any further announcements about delaying delivery to any of their pre-order holders.

sierraskier

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Earthroamer, Rivian R1T x 2, KTM 300 XCW
Just received a call from CS on this topic. Got the same message about changing to a Large Pack to get my R1T in 22. Asked if I changed and I did not like the new delivery date can I change back and keep my original first half of 23 delivery for the Max Pack... short answer was "couldn't guarantee I would keep my place in line". CS did say that I had until Jan 31 to decide and update my configuration. They also said the new delivery window estimate feature that will be on our account pages will *not* be updated in real-time. They will refresh periodically. At this point I'm pretty set on getting the Max Pack.
I too got same call tonight. Still undecided, but I did appreciate them acknowledging the delays not being optimal and advising me to get the truck that I want and not settle for something I wouldn't be comfortable or happy with.

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

Overt cynicism warning:

Rivian doesn't care about [insert your name here]. They know they have a hit couple of products and are production constrained for YEARS. Combine a good product with very little to zero current competition and bada bing bada boom screw you if you aren't happy.

Cynicism Continued:

There are MANY fanboys (of who I am one) on this forum who think Rivian is somehow "different." They are not. This is a for profit company like any other. They want to be the next Tesla (or Amazon of electric cars?). They want to generate as much income as possible at the least cost possible. Sure they COULD do a lot of things to make people happy after doing somethjng crappy, but they don't have to! As mentioned before, we are all captive consumers and they are a multi-billion dollar company. We also like to blame things on subordinates (CGO is the perfect scapegoat), but big decisions all come down to RJ.

Cynical thought 3:

I'm sure they are going to prioritize growth and income above all else. If it is easier and more profitable to build just one battery pack, who says they will EVER build a max pack even though this was a HUGE selling point??? They could keep bumping indefinitely if RJ and company decide it makes them more money.

I am a max pack holder. Against all reason, I have been faithfully holding on to it. I will continue to do so because I don't HAVE to have a Rivian. Maybe one day they will produce the car I want. Maybe they won't. I think it would prevent many tears being shed on this forum if everyone realized the complete lack of control we have in this process. Now I'm going to go back to my screaming infant.

Last edited:

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Sorry, did you just compare a startup that struggled to push out 1K vehicles out the door, in the middle of a supply shortage, in the midst of a pandemic... to Boeing and Airbus?
To use Rivian's terminology, they are a Vertically Integrated OEM, not a Start-Up. Lots of videos of Erik Fields, VP of Manufacturing, stating this. "Rivian is Not a start-up", so our expectation is, don't act like one.

Sponsored

RivRev

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
They should assume 100% of people switch to Large pack. I'm going to switch to Large pack even though I'm not committed to it yet. Might was well. It buys you time. Find out when your Large pack is coming, hold it until they come to actually build your truck. Once they ask for payment then you make the decision to hold off for the Max.

This is what I should have done from day one, but didn't realize how bad their projected build dates were. I regret not getting a Launch Edition. I'd probably be sitting on a March/April delivery window right now. Instead I'm stuck with a "sometime in 2022" for Large/Adventure or "early to mid 2023" for Max/Adventure.

At this point there is no reason NOT to switch to a Large Pack. Even if you're sure you want a Max Pack, this decision today doesn't stick. Holding off onto your Max Pack configuration however, you're pumped to the back of the line.
Won't you lose your theoretical spot in line for the max pack? ...if you do switch back to a max pack, you will be put at the back of the line, no? Although, the more information I get from Rivian, the more I read these forums, and the more I talk to customer service, this "spot in line" seems pretty theoretical.
I ordered at the beginning of 2020 and have noticed that there are countless responses on the delivery timeframe tracking sheet that have projections ahead of mine yet placed their orders after me (with similar builds). Rivian CS won't give me any concrete details on the factors that effect delivery timing...whether it's the interior color, paint color, location, etc. I have asked several times to try to see if I can reconfigure to speed up delivery.

RivRev

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
I completely understand the CS reps aren't the ones making production decisions. But think about it. They're the ones being tasked with calling you to make a potentially big change to your original purchase plans. This isn't just me pulling up the chat function and asking CS to remind me the material the interior is made from. This is them asking you to change your configuration. I would have expected a little more info than just "do you want to?"

Maybe my bar is too high? I don't know. It definitely is not on the CS rep who is only relaying the information they have. It's on the company for better equipping them with information.
People also seem to overlooking the simple fact that a car purchase is 99% of Americans second largest purchase in their entire life...behind a home. Probably not as applicable to this demographic, but still. Rivian arbitrarily making an internal decision to delay max packs by a full year without prior to notice to those customers is a little frustrating to say the least. And then to also not be proactive in following up with these max pack customers about their options (cancel, wait, switch to large pack, etc.) is also pretty annoying.
I have waited two full years since placing my max pack order. Another year delay is frustrating. One of the main selling points of the Rivian was the first to market...an EV pick up truck that would be at least a full year ahead of anyone else was a big deal. Now, with a mid 2023 delivery projection, that is not the case. I do have orders on the Lightning and Hummer EV, but those are only back ups to the Rivian. If the timing is close for all three, I will for sure choose the R1T. But, if I can get in a Hummer or Lightning a year ahead of my R1T, sorry Rivian, you lost a customer.

Last edited:

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Won't you lose your theoretical spot in line for the max pack? ...if you do switch back to a max pack, you will be put at the back of the line, no? Although, the more information I get from Rivian, the more I read these forums, and the more I talk to customer service, this "spot in line" seems pretty theoretical.
I ordered at the beginning of 2020 and have noticed that there are countless responses on the delivery timeframe tracking sheet that have projections ahead of mine yet placed their orders after me (with similar builds). Rivian CS won't give me any concrete details on the factors that effect delivery timing...whether it's the interior color, paint color, location, etc. I have asked several times to try to see if I can reconfigure to speed up delivery.
I have no idea if this is what will happen. I think I'm going to drop a second pre-order for a Max Pack just in case. Also, I may get pushed to the back of the line, but I'd assume by next year their production rates will be much higher and that line will be moving faster.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Why would you lose your spot if you moved back to max pack?

[----X-----------------]
vs
[------------------x---]

It wouldn't make sense to move you to the back of the line. You were always ahead of those last 3 people, their delivery time doesn't change. The only change is the people in front of you move up.

The only way it would affect others is if there is a technical issue with producing the max pack, in which case it wouldn't be a single line but 2 lines

Large [-----x-----]
Max [-----------]
to
Large [----------]
Max [------x-----]
meaning you'd be pushing someone back from their stated delivery time.

As for parameters that affect delivery window, see:
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...urvey-results-data-trend-analysis-added.2893/

The only option that appears to affect delivery is interior choice (based on the Launch Edition delivery windows).

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 1974 914
Occupation
Engineer
I just received my call from Rivian. May 2019 Pre-Order for Adventure/Max Pack and was given the option to switch to Large Pack that I would be guaranteed a 2022 delivery window. But CS couldn't tell me when exactly but it will be in 2022. I'm located in Toronto/Canada. I'm on the fence and have until Jan 31 to make that switch otherwise I am locked in. I'm somewhat concerned with the cold weather and the range. We camp a lot but usually don't trek more than 300km away from home with plenty of chargers along the way on the OnRoute system along the highways. Just need to ensure the vehicle is at 100% capacity before driving.

What are other peeps saying - have other Canadians' on the forums received their calls and windows yet and what are their thoughts?

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I just received my call from Rivian. May 2019 Pre-Order for Adventure/Max Pack and was given the option to switch to Large Pack that I would be guaranteed a 2022 delivery window. But CS couldn't tell me when exactly but it will be in 2022. I'm located in Toronto/Canada. I'm on the fence and have until Jan 31 to make that switch otherwise I am locked in. I'm somewhat concerned with the cold weather and the range. We camp a lot but usually don't trek more than 300km away from home with plenty of chargers along the way on the OnRoute system along the highways. Just need to ensure the vehicle is at 100% capacity before driving.

What are other peeps saying - have other Canadians' on the forums received their calls and windows yet and what are their thoughts?
You’d probsbly be fine with the large pack in southern ontario

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 1974 914
Occupation
Engineer

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Thanks @crashmtb. I am leaning towards switching to the large pack to get an early delivery.
Have a look on the NRC charging map, play around with ABRP and other such tools. See what’s near your common routes for charging.

you’re lucky there with all the density…and not-as-cold winters compared to here

Riviandog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model s , model y
Occupation
RF Engineer
If I'm driving down the road and approaching an intersection on the right and maybe I even signal it's not a sudden change when I actually do turn right. That's the equivalent of what happened here.

Show of hands: Who thought that Max Packs were going to deliver starting in January 2022? Nobody? Right.

Show of hands: How many were surprised that the date go pushed back? Nobody? Right.

Show of hands: How many are upset that it was pushed so far / deprioritized below all the other models? About 20% of y'all? Ok.

It should have not been a shock to anyone that these vehicles weren't going to get delivered starting in January 2022. If you were following along with any of the other timelines you shouldn't have been shocked that they pushed to 2023. Being upset by hearing the news I understand, being surprised by it I don't.
Missing the point I think. Many were very early reservation holders aka 11/26/2018 AND passed up launch editions.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Missing the point I think. Many were very early reservation holders aka 11/26/2018 AND passed up launch editions.
No, I'm not missing the point at all.
Sponsored